Over 20% of Sanders supporters say they’ll vote for Trump

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, May 6, 2019.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

https://www.lgbtqnation.com/2019/04...5aFqZDi2kABtbDn3MtvC85g#.XM8AsLNYS0M.facebook
    pissing of the Bernie bros cost you guys plenty last time.......
    still polls are meaningless.

2. velocityg4 macrumors 601

velocityg4

3. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

NOTHING happened when I opened it twice...

4. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

5. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

Buttigieg was not running 2016, hell most listed were not running back then.

6. pshufd macrumors 6502a

What is the motivation of voting for Trump by Sanders voters given the fairly bad blood between the two candidates? I completely understand more Trump voters if Biden doesn't become the nominee.

7. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

Anyone who would vote for Sanders and Trump voters is an anarchist at heart. They care more about blowing up the status quo than about actually accomplishing anything.

8. BeeGood, May 6, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2019

BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

It’s really not illogical at all.

It’s a symptom of having a forced political duopoly. Sometimes you have to vote for someone you can’t stand if you really want to have your voice heard.

We really need ranked-choice voting.

9. Krayzkat Suspended

I think you are misreading that quote on my first post. It says that "5% of Sanders supporters said they would vote for Trump if Sanders won the primary". Which means that if Sanders won the primary (and therefore became the Democrat nominatee, he would end up running directly against Trump for the presidency, but 5% of his supporters would still vote for Trump. Which seems odd, to me anyway; why vote for somebody to get on the dem ticket and then vote against him if he succeeded?

10. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

In the last election, I heard the same thing from Bernie supporters I knew after Bernie lost to Hillary.

In the end, they admitted voting for Hillary which is why I now don't believe this news story.

Do you remember all the people who claimed that they were leaving the country if Trump won ? I believe all of them are still here :).

I personally think that there is a greater chance (still very small) of Bernie running as an independent if he loses the primaries.

11. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

Sanders and Trump are actually fairly close on American jobs and immigration, plus being outside the establishment on their views.

The Democrats are too fractured to win and I fully expect the DNC to anoint another massive upset/disappointment. Again.

12. BeeGood, May 6, 2019
    Last edited: May 6, 2019

BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

Ah, my mistake. I misread what you quoted and thought it was referencing the 20% of Sanders supporters who would vote for Trump if Sander’s weren’t an option.

I’ll chalk up that other 5% to either noise, subversive Trump supporters who want him to run against Sanders or people like me with occasional lapses in reading comprehension. :D
    --- Post Merged, May 6, 2019 ---
    When you think about it, if you really want Sanders to be president, your immediate problem isn’t Trump. Your problem is the Democratic Party because they won’t let him on the ticket (for good reason IMO).

A vote for Trump is a vote against the Democratic Party. Just to repeat what I said above, if we had ranked-choice voting, this wouldn’t be a problem.

13. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

I voted green, and Ill pick another third party this time if this race is oldster v oldster

14. pshufd macrumors 6502a

Maybe they are only saying that they are Sanders supporters and are really Trump supporters. There are people that vote for one party to mess up that party's primary and vote for the candidate in the other party. I think that you can do this if you register independent. It may be that some states don't permit you to do this.
    --- Post Merged, May 6, 2019 ---
    I think that if Trump believed that he could have run in the Democratic party and won, that he would have altered his views to do so. He's not really conservative on a lot of issues. He was actually early on a lot of social issues.

15. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

Yep and the Democrats who now hate Trump would be saying how great he is :).

16. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

Not a chance in hell.

17. Krayzkat Suspended

Maybe some of the Democrats would be. But the vast majority of decent people in the world wouldn't be.

18. pshufd macrumors 6502a

If his views were considerably different then why wouldn't they support him? Look at his views in the 1970s and 1980s and he was further to the left than the Clintons.

19. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

Because he’s corrupt and incompetent? There is more to a president than his policy positions.

20. pshufd macrumors 6502a

The main skill to becoming president is becoming president. Can you be corrupt and become president? Can you be incompetent and become president? I think that the answer to that is really easy.

21. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

Well, yeah. It is easy. One need only look at the current holder of the position to see clearly that the answer to both questions is yes. That doesn’t mean that most Democrats would have supported him if he had run on a set of progressive policies. We’ve had our own, somewhat similar candidates and none got anywhere near the nomination. The closest example I can think of is Al Sharpton, but I think he’s considerably smarter than Trump.

22. pshufd macrumors 6502a

Have there been corrupt Democrats? Have there been incompetent Democrats?

23. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

To the level of Trump? Not even close (in modern history).

24. pshufd macrumors 6502a

But you wouldn't have necessarily known that before the fact.

25. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

It was glaringly obvious in this case. I remain mystified by any voters who couldn’t see during the campaign that Trump was fundamentally unqualified, incapable and amoral.