Over one hundred years ago, somebody left this rifle propped against a tree

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by aaronvan, Feb 5, 2016.

1. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Archaeologists conducting surveys in Nevada’s Great Basin National Park came upon a gun frozen in time: a .44-40 Winchester rifle manufactured in 1882. It was propped up against a juniper tree.

The unloaded gun appears to have been left undisturbed for more than 100 years; its wooden base had turned gray and was partially buried, and the barrel had rusted.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...e-found-propped-against-a-national-park-tree/

2. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

If it was loaded it would have walked out on his own to kill people.......

3. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

Pretty cool. I'm guessing the owner maybe died and has long since decomposed or they just pulled up a wagon and left it there to kill someone.

4. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Article says the weapon was found in its unloaded state? That or the bullets all rusted and decomposed and nobody was any wiser...

What, Obama didn't go back in time to take it preemptively?! Just like how he took your guns??

5. stroked Suspended

stroked

I think you need to get out more. This doesn't belong in PRSI.

6. mojolicious macrumors 68000

mojolicious

Over one hundred years ago, somebody left this rifle propped against a tree

I was expecting to see a tree that had grown around the rifle. Why was it left over a hundred years ago, and not forty years ago? Or moved to there from another location last Wednesday afternoon?

7. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

Juniper trees are among the oldest living things on earth. They also don't grow very large trees. I imagine they don't grow as quickly as you might think. Almost certainly not enough to swallow up an object against them in only 100 years.

8. mojolicious macrumors 68000

mojolicious

I appreciate that. Which means there appears to be absolutely no evidence to support the premise that the rifle had remained in situ for over a century. Do they not have wildfires in the Snake Mountains?

9. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

For all we know this gun had been loaded and roaming the countryside looking for someone to kill. Perhaps it even tried, and simply missed, or maybe it even succeeded. Perhaps it's owner couldn't control it so he took it out into the countryside and turned it loose to fend for self; as was somewhat common with dogs and horses and other animals who couldn't be trained in those days.

There's simply not enough info to say.

10. Huntn Suspended

Huntn

Lol, you started it. Let's get this firmly established as a PRSI thread, but I won't be debating. :D

Guns have been given a bad rep. On their own, they are innocent and harmless, kind souls. They are only dangerous when humans are taking them for walks, not after they have been set free. Which reminds me of that stupid saying to justify guns in some bizarre way as an argument for people having guns- guns don't kill people, people kill people. It should be guns don't kill people, people with guns kill people! ;)

As far as being possible, the gun was there for 100 years, absolutely. I gave no reason to be suspicious of the claim. Seriously, a cool image.

[​IMG]
    The innocent gun left to it's own devices. :D

11. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

Because that's what the archeologists said.

12. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

It's a trap.......

13. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

It was probably planted last week by the NRA...

14. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

This is Nevada we're talking about. It was probably a Bundy ancestor.

15. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    ...in hopes that it'd eventually sprout into a freedom bearing gun tree.

16. mojolicious macrumors 68000

mojolicious

Was this before or after park rangers wrapped the butt in orange tape?

17. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

I've been to that park several times. Somehow I missed the rifle. :) But, I guess folks don't realize what a high-elevation western mountain range can be like. Most of it is pretty desert-like, although there are some nice canyons with water high up. Cold and snowy in the winter, but, dry all the same. Juniper trees are stunted and tough. Bristlecone pines just below the timber line. I've seen old cabins 100 years old in the dry eastern slopes of some of these dry ranges. You can see for long, long way from the summit of Wheeler Peak, and Lehman Cave at the base of the mountain is a beautiful, intimate cave. The Park would be perfect if it weren't for two things: the "camp raccoons" in the campgrounds (please don't feed the raccoons!), and, the idiotically-named "Jeff Davis Peak" down the ridge from Wheeler Peak. Beautiful place to visit; don't miss it if you are touring the area.

18. bopajuice macrumors 6502a

bopajuice

I dont agree with your politics but this is cool. Thanks for sharing.

19. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

If you are lurking....we all miss you....