Over the past couple of months I've lost both my computers :(

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mabus51, Mar 27, 2010.

1. Mabus51 macrumors 6502

I am planning on getting the entry level 15" Macbook Pro. What sucks is I know they are going to be updated soon. I just don't know if they wont be updated until the end of June during the WDC conf. Not sure if I should hold out and wait or just plunge and get what's out now. Currently I'm just using my iPhone. Any thoughts?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think everyone is hoping that they'll be updated soon, but we all have no idea. I suspect new MBPs will be out before WWDC but that's just a guess

3. designgeek macrumors 65816

designgeek

It's tough to say, I think we've all been expecting some updates by now. Usually March is the time. If you're in dire need then go for it, I've used my iPod Touch for about three days while my MBP was getting repaired and it was torture. ;)

4. Apple-NoEscape macrumors 6502

Also on my iPhone right now due to my computer dying, I'm holding out, I've decided that in the end this horrible time without a computer will be worth it.

5. Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness

its been february for the past few years....

6. Pentad macrumors 6502a

Pentad

I know this is an unpopular view but the MBP updates everyone is hoping for is a long way off. I cite two commonsense reasons:

1. iPad HYPE will be on maximum for the next few months. The last thing they are going to do is release the iPad, blitz the media about it, and then release new notebook computers...

There is a reason record companies do not release two hit singles off the same album at the same time...you know?

2. If you have been following the feature list on MR you will know the next gen notebooks will probably have the following: i5/i7 technology, 8 GB of memory, revamped/hybrid (auto) GPU, BD Optical Drive, USB 3.0, perhaps a new form factor and the list goes on. (The list might be bigger or smaller but you get the idea)

Does anybody here really think Apple is just going to 'take down the store' for a few hours, put all of this online and then come back up with just a new front page? Really? Really?? :rolleyes:

That is a HUGE update for Apple's notebook line and then are going to have some sort of press briefing about it.

Problem: A MBP press briefing conflicts with the iPad at this point.

Moral of the story: Don't hold your breath for a new MBP until the iPad hoopla dies waaaay down.

7. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

I'm thinking June now. There are apparently some Mac Pro and LED display announcements coming at that time, so Apple may just release a new MBP line at the same time as well.

8. DoNoHarm macrumors 65816

DoNoHarm

well today is no technology day, according to Ars Technica. Try keeping things as they are for now. :)

9. Mabus51 thread starter macrumors 6502

Well I think all of us know that a BD drive isn't going to happen until data discs start using them. As long as only movies continue to use BD-roms Apple won't include it. They would rather you buy their HD downloads. But core I5 is a possibility I7 I feel is still a ways off due to heat issues. However if they bring out a core I5 Apple will have to switch to ATI for the GPU. Since nVidia lost the law suit with intel and can not build chips for the new intel products. I haven't seen any news about Apple partnering up with ATI. So we may just get a speed bump for now. Unless Apple brings out their own GPU like they did with the A4 processor. Hmmmm I'm thinking now I should just splurge I'll see if I can hold out until Monday.

10. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

Just like the iPhone/iPad/iPod, Apple's employees don't know how to multitask so they can't release a MacBook Pro update while they're putting every last effort into the iPad.

The only reason I keep following this is because you guys make me laugh my ass off. The notion that a company with thousands of employees, and more market capital than almost any other company in existence, can't produce more than one product at a time is asinine, if not downright ridiculous.

:D

Steve Jobs will introduce the new MacBook Pros when he feels like it. Maybe, they aren't ready for some reason or another, but the longer they wait the more unrealistic people's expectations become.

BTW, Optimus is a software driver technology that has so far only been attempted on windows.

11. Mabus51 thread starter macrumors 6502

12. Pentad macrumors 6502a

Pentad

I have never said -nor do I think others have said- that Apple is unable to multitask and create other products, its just that it would be incredibly stupid (marketing wise) for them to release two products at the same time. The iPad is such a media intensive product that releasing anything else at the exact same time only distracts from both products.

I saw June listed here but I still think that is optimistic.

Put yourself in Steve Jobs (and company) place. You're huddled around your Ikea table in the secret offices at Apple. You have to yell at Tim Cook to 'get off the damn Xbox and come to the table'. Figures and projections are being banded about but your thinking 'could we get away with a 15 month shirtless Jonathan Ive calendar with different Apple products' and is Peter Oppenheimer related to J. Robert Oppenheimer...because Schiller was talking about that a few days ago at Burger King...anyway...

...the point is that iPad hoopla is going to really be pushed for say eight or so weeks. Well, now you have the problem of releasing new products with the new school season just around the corner. If you release them in June or July, hell, August is a few weeks away. Will Apple be lost in the hoopla of 'back to school' computer ads?

Frankly, its just a mess.

Honestly, if it was just a CPU/GPU bump I think they would do a simple store take down but with so many changes I think it might be an August deal...

Just my humble two cents worth,
    P

13. designgeek macrumors 65816

designgeek

Nope, actually seems that if there is a pattern it's early spring, March or April, so I guess we'll wait another month and see.

14. puma1552 macrumors 601

I feel bad for anyone that really thinks the longer the wait, the better the computer.

It's being delayed for the iPad, and nothing else. It will be the same crappy 1440x900 TN panel, the same crappy USB 2.0 (Apple won't even go there until early 2012--just watch), the same crappy lack of BluRay, and all you will get is a core iX processor which by that point Intel will already be onto the next iteration of them, and maybe a then-crappy ATI 4XXX series GPU or equally crapp NVIDIA GPU.

Trust me, everyone's in for massive disappointment with what will most likely be a pretty lackluster update.

15. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I just ordered a MacBook Pro... I'm not waiting