Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
I don't call an unstable overclock a success...

Especially when you're talking about having heat problems.

rice_web

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2001
Minot, North Dakota
http://arstechnica.infopop.net/OpenTopic/page?q=Y&a=tpc&s=50009562&f=8300945231&m=9940912435&p=2

More importantly in that thread, the dual-867 goes to 1067, which completely defeats the purpose of buying the 1GHz, especially when dual-1GHz can only be overclocked to 1167. The dual-1.25 will probably run at 1.5GHz with more cooling, but runs extremely well at 1.3GHz.

Someone could make a lot of money buying a thousand of these, modding them, then jacking the price up $200-$300 and reselling them at their overclocked state.

ddtlm

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2001
Not bad at all.

Very impressive. Better than I had thought possible. Does make me wonder why the 1.25's took so long to ship if the chips have that much headroom.

Perhaps this 7455A I've that I have heard is in the 1.25's is just now starting to roll off the line? In any case it looks like Apple has enough room for another version of G4 PM's before they need something new (even if "new" just means a small-fab-size G4).

rice_web

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2001
Minot, North Dakota
But it also means that the G4 has an extraordinary amount of life in it. If the 7455A will clock to 1.5GHz before Apple pushes the 7470 into the PowerMac, we'll be using the G4 until the 2GHz level is reached, and more importantly, we won't have a true implementation of DDR memory for quite some time (maybe a year or more).

But, I am truely considering a dual-867 due to this news.

ddtlm

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2001
rice_web:

Could you do me a favor and stop reffering to the "7470" as if it is a confirmed device?

Anyway I agree that the G4 has life in it, although IMHO that life should start being in only lower-end machines sometime in 2003. If a 180nm 7-stage G4 can make it 1.5ghz (on the hairy edge), then it is not unreasonable that a few 130nm 7-stage G4's could make it to 2.0ghz, and it is not unreasonable that 90nm 7-stage G4's could go well into the 2.x range.

rice_web

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2001
Minot, North Dakota
Sorry about referring to the 7470 as if it were real, the rumors were so persistent, it's so engrained in my memory from those SpyMac and MacOSRumors reports.

However, MacOSRumors was dead on with the Apollo, and the 7470 could very likely be real.

ddtlm

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2001
rice_web:

I think a good dose of sceptisism is needed on these rumor sites and I'm doing my part. :)

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by rice_web
http://arstechnica.infopop.net/OpenTopic/page?q=Y&a=tpc&s=50009562&f=8300945231&m=9940912435&p=2

More importantly in that thread, the dual-867 goes to 1067, which completely defeats the purpose of buying the 1GHz, especially when dual-1GHz can only be overclocked to 1167. The dual-1.25 will probably run at 1.5GHz with more cooling, but runs extremely well at 1.3GHz.

Someone could make a lot of money buying a thousand of these, modding them, then jacking the price up $200-$300 and reselling them at their overclocked state.

I wouldn't call a 33Mhz increase in bus speed and 333Mhz DDR as apposed to 266Mhz worthless. Yes I know the CPU only accesses the ram at half speed but everything else can access the ram at full speed with DMA.

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
I knew that many overclocked Pc users used water cooling, one of my friends even used it.
I just looked at that page, *cough* to advanced for me *cough* .
That tells you the way you figure the steps of water cooling. Not the procedure.

tjwett

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2002
Brooklyn, NYC
i thought all of the new PowerMacs were overclocked. isn't that why they are bursting into flames and having problems? not to mention the giant heatsink and fans. i don't think any processor should need that kind of cooling unless it's being pushed beyond it's limits. someone correct me. what's up with the new PowerMacs?

nixd2001

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2002
UK
Originally posted by tjwett
i thought all of the new PowerMacs were overclocked. isn't that why they are bursting into flames and having problems? not to mention the giant heatsink and fans. i don't think any processor should need that kind of cooling unless it's being pushed beyond it's limits. someone correct me. what's up with the new PowerMacs?

Happy to oblige - you're talking rubbish.

Try a thought exercise - what precisely do you mean by the phrase "overclocked"?

You're the first person mentioning flames I've seen here. Perhaps you can provide your examples for general discussion?

And while the flow is going - the laws of physics don't care much about whether it seems reasonable to generate lots of heat or not. Think about the Cray "sofa" machines from years ago. They had freon and water cooling, but they weren't "overclocked".

cr2sh

macrumors 68030
May 28, 2002
downtown

I second nixd2000's notion... rubbish. take that same chip and underclock it to 532mHz, its still going to generate enough heat to warrant a heatsink and fan...

tjwett

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2002
Brooklyn, NYC
Easy dudes! I thought I made it clear that I was under the IMPRESSION that the new G4s contained overclocked chips. I'm not the only one. Take a look at the discussion forum for the Mirror Door PMs over at Apple's site and you'll see what I mean. Lots of folks over there having lots of problems. There was even one topic wth the title "Dual 867 and Fire" or something to that affect. The attitude isn't necessary and you still haven't given me any real info. Are the chips in the new PMs different than previous G4s? Perhaps it is an issue with trying to implement DDR memory in the new machine? I wasn't being a d!ck so just chill out. I'll ask my question again: What's up with thew PowerMacs and all the probs? The Quicksilvers and Graphites were so solid.

cr2sh

macrumors 68030
May 28, 2002
downtown
I apologize, my post in no way, was intended to sound overly critical or harsh. i think that very few posts in this forum are intended to be ill-natured but if they do come across as so it is entirely the fault of the poster.. so again, my bad! :D fire is cool

Catfish_Man

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2001
Portland, OR
Yes...

Easy dudes! I thought I made it clear that I was under the IMPRESSION that the new G4s contained overclocked chips. I'm not the only one. Take a look at the discussion forum for the Mirror Door PMs over at Apple's site and you'll see what I mean. Lots of folks over there having lots of problems. There was even one topic wth the title "Dual 867 and Fire" or something to that affect. The attitude isn't necessary and you still haven't given me any real info. Are the chips in the new PMs different than previous G4s? Perhaps it is an issue with trying to implement DDR memory in the new machine? I wasn't being a d!ck so just chill out. I'll ask my question again: What's up with thew PowerMacs and all the probs? The Quicksilvers and Graphites were so solid.
...the 1.25GHz chip is an MPC 7455A. No one outside of the industry (and not many in it, I would imagine) knows what changes were made going from " " to "A". As for the dual 867 being overclocked, that would certainly mean that the old dual 1GHz was overclocked because they used the same chips. However, since Motorola officially says the 7455 (not A) will go up to 1GHz, anything up to 1GHz is not overclocked. As for the heat. I agree, wtf is up with that? It has a GIANT heatsink with a large fan blowing directly on it, plus 3 more fans in the case. No embedded chip (which is what the G4+ is) should ever make that much heat. If this was the GPUL (<---dumb name), I could understand it, since the POWER4 that the GPUL is based on dissipates 125 watts. So, that leaves the question: What the hell makes so much heat in the new PowerMacs?

cr2sh

macrumors 68030
May 28, 2002
downtown
Often the office I work at gets quite cold, so I offer this possibility. Yet another astounding innovation from apple, dual processor super computer / place heater. Perfect for keeping your feet toasty those cold winter days...

nixd2001

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2002
UK

Sorry - not trying to launch in to you.

Precise chip details I don't know, but it looks like this is covered in another posting.

WRT "overclocked". The essence of "overclocking" is going outside manf specs. Apple would be crazy to do this. Consider: Apple says the PMG4 will operate reliably (their warranty - take the machine back if it fails stuff) if you keep it within the specified "ambient" temperature - up to 30c or 40c or something like that. Apple will have designed the machine so that if this condition is met, then the CPU will not exceed a particular temp - probably 70C. Mot will have supplied Apple with chips that Mot warrants can be reliabibly run at a particular clock rate if they are kept within a particular temp range (this is is likekly to be 70C). So this gives a chain of, if the user users the machine as specified, Apple and Mot will replace it if it fails. If you "overclock", ie push the clock rate up and it hence it generates more heat and goes outside the specified temp range, Apple will not warrant it works and Mot wouldn't replace the CPU if it failed for this reason. So I say that these machines are not overclocked, whatever you, and thousands of others on both this board and maybe others, say - simply because I think the definition is all wrong. So in that sense, "rubbish" is still my opinion of the notion that they are overclocked - not as an attack on you but on the validity of using the phrase/word.

If machines are bursting in to flames, I've not seen anything here, but I'll keep a look out.

Hope that's a more helpful response.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Re: Yes...

Originally posted by Catfish_Man
However, since Motorola officially says the 7455 (not A) will go up to 1GHz, anything up to 1GHz is not overclocked.

Motorola originally RELEASED the chip at speeds up to 1.0 GHz.

Chips faster than the originals are expected over time as yields of faster chips improve.

However the switch to a smaller process for the 7455 will allow heat/power sensitive equipment to use the faster chips.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.