Overhead conversation: iOS5 features - not confident these are true,but nice to dream

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by womble2k2, Feb 1, 2011.

1. womble2k2 macrumors regular

Whilst on the train this morning, I overheard a conversation between two guys, discussing that one of their friends is an Apple software developer working on iOS 5 and he had told him some of the great new features that were coming this June.

Now I am a bit sceptical of this, as I am sure if iOS 5 was coming in June, we'd have at least had an advance preview from Apple, like they did with 4. However some of the features they discussed were quite interesting and compelling, so I'm classing this as a "take with a pinch of salt, but why not dream" category. I quickly typed these on notes on phone, then edited when I got home.

1. Video. Multiple claims, loosely detailed below;
    - 1080p/50 or 60 recording.
    - image stabilisation - achieved by using the centre portion of the camera sensor when stationary, then using data from the gyro / accelerometer to 'slide and tilt' this safe area around as the phone is moved. Will also look for high contrast lines in the image to 'lock' to in the same was as image stabilisation in iMovies on OS X works.
    Motion data is embedded in video stream so better analysis and stabilisation can be done by iMovie, or 3rd party App. If Movie imported to iMovie '09 or '11 on OS X, then no further analysis is required.
    - HDR video (?? - I doubt this one a lot, processing power needed is very high)
    - Super slow motion mode which captures video at 300fps, then play back at slower 24, 30, 50 and 60 fps rates. max of 30 second sequence.
    - Ability to pick up motion in picture and pass vectors though APIs for Apps to use (Augmented reality, etc)

2. still camera;
    - Some features seen on 3rd party apps to be brought into camera app. Namely stabilisation (only take picture when scene is steady), view finder grids, filter effects, red eye reduction by pre-flashing, etc.
    - Much quicker to launch and be ready to take pictures.
    - tap to focus, double tap to focus and instantly take pic.

3. iLife suite included free
    - iMovies will be overhauled with
    - a better interface and intelligent templates (similar to the trailers feature of iMovies '11) which analyse the clips you have put on the timeline and suggests the best transitions, effects, etc.
    - Ability to output in a format where additional work can be done on OS X version
    - iPad version will have a lot of the features of the OS X version (he wasn't specific).

- iPhoto will replace the current photo app, with many of the iPhoto features;
    - faces, locations, events, etc.
    - A significant amount of edit features, including colour correction, saturation, etc, trimming, re-sizing, filter effects, meta data editing, etc
    - iPad version to also have a lot of the desktop version

- Garageband (??)
    - a cut down version of the desktop version. Desktop version may be renamed garageband pro.

- iWedBlog (on iPhone) iWeb (on iPad)
    - iPhone version will be able to update blog entries on a website already created with the desktop version.
    - A very simple template version of a Blog website can be created.
    - iPad version will be able to create full websites.

- iExtra - A media authoring tool that can create DVD type menus, etc, similar to iDVD for for loading to a dedicated MobileMe publishing service

Now some exciting bits;
    - Over the air activation - no longer need to connect to desktop iTunes to activate. Seen as a stumbling block for users that want a device but don't have or want a desktop / notebook.
    - Over the air (sort of, wi-fi only) software update (for iPhone 5 only)
    - Status bar will be made a bit taller and now include 'touch to set' controls, so you can tap the signal strength / carrier name to switch carriers or activate airplane mode / switch 3G off, tap the wireless icon to turn wireless on / off and select network, tap time to select timezone or change time, tap bluetooth icon to switch bluetooth on / off and pair devices, battery to activate a 'battery stretch mode'. (Sounds like some features of OS X are moving to iOS)
    - improved multi-tasking and notifications
    - Streaming services (iTunes cloud, etc)
    - improved AirPlay and AirPrint although no details.

Other bits;
    - Ping to become a separate icon, and expand more into social networking, but configurable so can be removed or added back into iTunes.
    - Settings to include user profiles (for iPad I believe) so different users can have different settings.
    - Facetime improvements including 3 and 4 way group calling, and finally working over 3G (although carriers will be able to disable it, or reduce resolution of images).
    - Time Machine backup. Will be able to create a recoverable device image on Time Capsule and wireless SANs that include dedicated support. Again removing the need to have a desktop / notebook.
    - A load of corporate features, mainly focused on the iPad. No detail discussed.
    - orientation lock to be portrait / landscape / auto toggle on iPhone.

Sounds good, but I am seriously doubting these features. My fingers are crossed though, as some of these are what I've been hoping for.

Phil

2. Nishi100, Feb 1, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2011

Nishi100 macrumors 6502a

If this is true, and I'm not saying it's not, then iOS is going to be amazing, but I doubt that most of this will happen.

There's more chance of Flash then some of these features. But, the people on the train seem to have quite a few unique ideas that I can see Apple using, but then again they seem to have skipped / ignored / not mentioned / you've forgotten a few features that are quite likely: Widgets and a redesign of the notification system.

BTW: You've got a good memory, but the people you overheard could be joking or lying or... you could be lying to us, which would mean you have a rubbish memory; so I could care less. (I care a bit, as it could potentially be true.)

3. Vundu macrumors 65816

Vundu

Sounds like a long detailed conversation to overhear on a train.

4. testcard macrumors 68020

testcard

That was a long conversation. Were you taking shorthand notes or did you have voice recorder with you?

5. womble2k2 thread starter macrumors regular

Hi Nishi,
    I agree that it is doubtful that many of these will happen which is why i caveated it in the subject and first / final paragraphs.

I did mention the notifications on the same line as improved multi-tasking.

My memory was aided by quick typing in the notes app. As mentioned in the opening paragraph, I then edited this at home.

Again, I do take a conversation I heard on a train with a complete pinch of salt, but I do like the sound of a lot of these features and really do hope some (as all is very unlikely) do turn out to be true.

Phil

6. womble2k2 thread starter macrumors regular

When you are sitting 3 feet away and they are talking quite loud, you can't help but overhear. Sad thing about commuting in London!!

Phil

7. Nishi100 macrumors 6502a

8. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Given the source (two guys on a train), this information could go either way (true or false).

Also, the OP is not a newbie who joined 5 minutes to create this thread to troll, he/she's been a member for a wile, and from what I saw, none of the past threads/replies have been considering trolling.

That being said, some of the points do seem compelling and would be a welcomed update, Like:

-FaceTime over 3G
    -FaceTime with 3-4 way calling
    -iPad with Multiple user accounts
    -Photos app to be updated to be similar to iPhoto
    -Tap to focus, double tap to focus and instantly take pic.
    -Over the Air activation
    -Over the Air updates
    -Over the Air Back-ups (Time Machine)

9. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

The built-in video stabilization sounds cool, and makes perfect sense to include if it's possible, but does the iPhone have the processing power needed to do that to 1080p video on the fly? I didn't think iMovie could do it in real-time, never mind a phone, even if the accelerometer/gyro do help things out.

Nothing else shocking, but lots of relatively minor tweaks I'd love to see. SBSettings built into the OS would be nice (and the way you described it sounds exactly like how SBS works...).

10. Nishi100 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I would love the desktop style iMovie for iPad, so you can edit some video on iMovie, then sync it over and continue working.

11. womble2k2 thread starter macrumors regular

That would be very cool. Do the initial edit of your holiday on the flight home then complete it on your Macbook Pro / iMac. Now there's an idea!

12. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

What??? Ok, who owns an iPhone but not a computer? This "stumbling" block you're describing doesn't seem to actually exist, I just can't believe you're buying a top end smartphone and don't own or have access to a computer. OTA Update for any software version again doesn't make sense. How does the device back up or restore without a computer involved?
    And, once again, with Time Machine, how are you going to be running a time machine backup without a computer?

13. Certinfy macrumors 6502a

Certinfy

14. trigonometry macrumors 6502

trigonometry

I used an iPhone without owning a computer for over two years.

15. QuarterSwede, Feb 1, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2011

QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I've heard a lot of stories about people needing to plug in to someone elses computer just to start using their iPad. These are mostly elderly folk butt it's still idiotic that you have to do that.

16. mKTank macrumors 68000

mKTank

I'm hoping for a complete UI overhaul. iOS is starting to look boring as hell, not to mention it has design flaws that have been there from day one, like the never-updating weather icon.

17. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

Idk, but maybe with a dual-core processor it could.?

18. Goldfrapp macrumors 68040

Goldfrapp

I bet iWeb '11 will happen after all.

It's just delayed until WWDC to co-launch with mobile iWeb.

Is iWedBlog some kinda wedding blogging app? :D

19. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

Cloud. All they'd need to do is generate a backup and send it to a server somewhere... it doesn't necessarily need to go to your local computer.

20. womble2k2 thread starter macrumors regular

I totally agree. Comparing icons with those in Android make iOS ones look a bit flat and dull. Maybe some animation within the icons (even Symbian and other Nokia OS's had that 5 years ago).

Maybe a split screen with the ability to flick in widgets, etc.

Why not have something along the lines of expose or spaces, or even Mission Control, for app switching?

Widgets on lock screen is a no brainer. Yes you can double click the home button to get basic iPod controls, but having the option of other widgets would be cool.

I've also wondered if there would be a benefit to flick up / down. Currently you navigate between home screens by flicking left and right. How about up to instantly enter iPod mode (or something else you can configure), and a flick down to activate the app switching (expose, spaces, mission control!?!).

status bar settings are a must. I use Bluetooth in the car, but don't want to leave it on when not in the car so being able to tap the status bar and switch on / off is better than going into settings or using one of the BT apps.

Animated background, more use of the graphical capabilities of the graphics processor by using more of the Core Animations API.

How about being able to run two apps side by side in landscape to aid copy and paste? With the retina display, there is plenty of resolution.

I could think of a lot more, but I'm hoping Apple will spring a few surprises.

Phil

21. womble2k2 thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry - a typo, a funny one!

I do hope iWeb gets a major refresh. There is so much we want to do with our website, but find the current version a bit restrictive.

Phil

22. womble2k2 thread starter macrumors regular

iOS is more than just iPhone. But a few points;
    1. I wasn't saying that the stumbling point is needing a desktop / notebook but that you need to use a desktop / notebook to activate and setup the iOS device. Many people want to buy and use without needing to plug one device into another device to get it working.
    2. iPads are being used by people (older people, kids, etc) who may not have another machine. My dad is in his 60s and never owned a computer as he saw them difficult to learn. He sees the adverts for iPad and gets the idea that it would be easy to use. I live 350 miles away from him, so if he gets one, how will he start using it?
    3. If the competition doesn't need this process, then neither should Apple.

23. gdjsnyder macrumors 6502a

gdjsnyder

I am one who is getting tired of iOS - it's kind of become stale, using it the past 4 years with no major overhauls; but if these claims are true, that would really reignite how I felt about iOS (iPhone OS) from the beginning. Not that I would ever leave my iPhone, simply because of the UI, but these features would be very welcome.

24. womble2k2 thread starter macrumors regular

My understanding of how it works on the OS X version is that a large number of tracking reference points are created on each frame where there is either a good luminance change or chrominance change. A sequence is then analyzed to see how these points move, and then the ideal amount of zoom required to allow for the movement to be tracked. These two steps are done in the Analyze step (http://imovie.maccreate.com/2009/07/15/stabilizing-clips-in-imovie-takes-two-steps/).

The stabilisation data is then used on the fly to actually do the stabilisation.

If I understand the method discussed for iOS live stabilisation correctly, significantly less processing work is required.

As it is using a combination of gyro / accelerometer to measure movement of the phone, there is not a lot of analyze of the video required. If anything, only a small handful of reference points would be required to totally stabilise.

The selection of using a more central region of the sensor is used to 'scan' the video frames is similar in principle to true Sensor Shift stabilisation.

I for one hope it is true. I find it really difficult holding a small device very steady, especially if it is windy!

Phil

25. womble2k2 thread starter macrumors regular

The Time Capsule is a wireless access point. Your phone connects to it, and is effectively networked to it and therefore the hard drive. So the backup can happen in the same way as it would if via a computer to it's hard drive.

Phil