Overheated Tropical Forests Oozing with Carbon Dioxide

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by citizenzen, Oct 13, 2017.

1. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Climate Change threads feel a lot like mass shooting threads. We get more and more horrific news, followed by the lack of national will to do anything about it.

We sure do suck.

2. linuxcooldude macrumors 68020

First it was global cooling/mini ice-age in the 70's, then global warming. When that didn't pan out they changed it to climate change. No thanks.

3. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

On the brighter side, you’ll be pleased to know I’ve completely made the jump from Cottonelle to using Spotted Owls.

4. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

You think global warming isn't panning out? You need to get out more. And it was changed to "climate change" because some idiot people in the world couldn't understand how the earth could be warming when they still see snow...hence the idiot congressman bringing a snowball onto the floor of congress trying to make a point and failing hard.

5. ChrisWB macrumors 6502

I don't understand science, therefore it isn't real.

The tide goes in, the tide goes out.

6. citizenzen thread starter macrumors 65816

This has been de-bunked so many times that it can only be willful ignorance that compels you to repeat this nonsense.

Would you like to see a source?

Again?

7. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Any day now I'll have beach front property in TO.

Your quote of the article basically tells us that dead plants don't suck up CO2.

8. citizenzen thread starter macrumors 65816

Kinda like how dead people don't suck up oxygen.

Funny how death changes things.

9. 0007776 Suspended

I think Trump is working on starting WWIII in the hopes that it will be so destructive that it removes our ability to pollute the environment on a large enough scale to have an impact for a few generations at least.

10. citizenzen thread starter macrumors 65816

Honestly, I believe trump would be causing chaos regardless of what station of life he occupied.

We're just extra fortunate to have handed him the highest office in the land.

Now we all get to experience his lunacy, first hand.

11. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

What's your solution? Are you studying technologies that might combat this problem?

12. citizenzen thread starter macrumors 65816

No. I’m a 25+ year graphic designer, not a scientist or engineer.

My solution is to trust the scientists and engineers to do their job.

Just as I wouldn’t want them to tell me the most appropriate photo to use on their brochure.

We each have our own talents and training.

13. Phonephreak macrumors 6502a

Phonephreak

But your always telling us how we should feel. Different rules for you?

14. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502a

Bug-Creator

Actually they do.

Unless you place them somewhere where they can't rot.

15. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

Scientists also developed the most awful things in human history and some even won the Nobel prize for it (including for lobotomy).

You don’t listen to stakeholders and customers?!?!

So if you’re not a politician, why do you talk about politics?

16. R.Perez macrumors 6502

R.Perez

You sure do like to parrot talking points.

Reality:

"Nine paragraphs written for Newsweek in 1975 continue to trump 40 years of climate science. It is a record that has its author amazed"

How the "Global Cooling" Story Came to Be

17. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

Not any day now, but yes, it's possible. The Lake Ontario level controls are complex and this year's disastrous flooding in Montreal and Rochester has been attributed to both double the normal amount of rainfall and snowpack melt plus the international commission's decisions regarding water releases to the St. Lawrence based on the controversial Plan 2014.

Eventually the area will probably have to do something like has been done in some parts of the Netherlands, i.e. "let the water in"... which means the lakeshore's rough outlines and the shape of the seaway to the east might be saved as they are now, approximately, at the expense of wetlands allowed to develop more broadly elsewhere; those would be like gated fingers running inland off the lake per natural inclinations and take up excess water as it occurs. Of course if one has found the Plan 2014 decisions controversial, one may find any such propositions much more so, at least if living now where wetlands might be contemplated. Maybe the people in Montreal and Sodus Bay etc. would figure hey, let it roll. It's all about whose ox is to be gored, as usual.

18. citizenzen thread starter macrumors 65816

Seems to be a pretty common practice in these parts. Or do you only notice when I do it?

So the best course of action is to add my untrained opinion into that mix?

How would that help?
    --- Post Merged, Oct 14, 2017 ---
    Source please.

19. Phonephreak macrumors 6502a

Phonephreak

Trust me your opinion isnt very important in the grand scheme of things. Especially to me. So no,not really I will admit I am guilty of it also. I assume my opinion isn’t particularly important to you.

20. citizenzen thread starter macrumors 65816

I would certainly hope not. My opinion shouldn't mean diddly to you or anybody else in PRSI.

21. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Interesting article at NASA:

https://climate.nasa.gov/evidence/

I tried to tell this to Right Wingers and they said this is nothing but Fake News left over from the previous administration...

22. DearthnVader macrumors 6502a

DearthnVader

As usual, liberals feel the need to post another climate change alarmist thread, but don't want to be nailed down to what they want to do about it.

This is where the major hurdle is for me, it's not that I don't want all of use to do something about the rising C02 levels, it's just I don't want to give a new tax stream to government and trust government to spend the money on what they say they will, and even if they do, I'm not convinced that will work as well as passing laws to promote green energy, and giving tax incentives.

Really I see three major obstacles, one, battery tech is not good enough, right now, to give people the kind of range they need from electric cars. Two, our electric grid relies too much on Coal and other Co2 laden things, people are too apposed to nuclear than is what is good for us. Three, heavy "bunker" fuels, a byproduct of the oil refining process are going largely ignored.

23. Mac'nCheese Suspended

Mac'nCheese

I don’t think new taxes will help. But your number two would. New nuclear plants are incredibly safe and that’s what this country should focus on. Rebuild the electricity grid from the ground up, starting with these new plants. That’s one good idea.

24. DearthnVader macrumors 6502a

DearthnVader

Not one new plant built since 3 Mile Island.

Nuclear reactors on cargo ships would help a lot too, I read that just a few of these ships burning heavy bunker fuel, pollute more than every car in America, tho I think it's a lot more sulphur than Co2.

25. Mac'nCheese Suspended

Mac'nCheese

Yeah I think the new one being built that I just saw on tv was in Europe somewhere. The us navy has been nuclear powered for how many decades now? Those ships could probably run like that too.