Overheating iPhone 4S

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JudasBlitzkrieg, Oct 22, 2012.

1. JudasBlitzkrieg macrumors member

This morning, my iPhone decided to take a **** and crashed out on me. After about 10 minutes trying to get the damn thing to reboot, it's on and it's working, but it's now getting quite hot even with the most basic of interaction.

For example, writing out a text or checking my email now gets it warm on the back whereas before it wouldn't bother it. I've felt it get warm before but it's mostly when i've been beasting the 3G and I've had that happen on every 3G capable phone I've ever had, so that's not unusual.

But this is downright weird. Anyone ever seen this before?

It's also caning the battery life. On a normal workday I end up having to give it a bit extra charge at about 4pm, now it's half 1 and it's already at 19% battery. What the hell is going on with it?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Something is wrong, so I'd say reboot it, to see if that fixes it, but also take it into apple to see it.

3. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

Something seems to be causing the phone (processor likely) to overwork. Check your usage and standby times in Settings > general > usage. Do they match? They shouldn't. If they do, something is constantly "working" in the background causing the overworking/overheating of the processor.

I'd probably shut it off and take it in.

4. JudasBlitzkrieg thread starter macrumors member

The usage meters just show a dash in each box :-/

I'm booked in at the Genius bar this afternoon. I'll let you know what they say

5. dotme macrumors 6502a

Temporarily turn off all iCloud Sync and Exchange Sync. When prompted, "Remove from iPhone" - They'll come back when you turn stuff back on.

I had a client's phone running hot and killing battery. It was a Sync loop.

6. JudasBlitzkrieg thread starter macrumors member

Just tried that, rebooting the phone again between turning all the syncs off and back on again. It's still sat on my desk, slightly warm to the touch a good 5 minutes after everything synced over.