Overheating iPhone 5

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by knapkin, Sep 23, 2012.

1. knapkin macrumors member

Just got back from a 3 hour trip using my new iPhone 5 to navigate using turn by turn (which worked really well). I had the iPhone plugged into a cigarette->usb adaptor.

About 1.5 hours into the trip I noticed that the screen had turned off, after unlocking the iPhone, it popped up a message with the title "Temperature" and content along the lines of "the iPhone needs to cool down" and we are straight back to the screen off and locked.

After this, I unplugged it and let it cool down, after which it was able to finish navigating the route on battery power.

Has anyone else been having their iPhone 5 warn them about getting too hot and needing to cool off? It seems like charging the phone was a large part of this problem.

2. kidelnino macrumors newbie

suddenly turn off

I also got overheat (I think). When I put it in to a sleeve and take it out to use I realised that the touch screen was not smooth like normal and after a minute it suddenly turn off and restart. It happened twice already and after turn it off 15 minutes it returns normal. I think I will ask Apple to replace it but I'm not sure they have stock or not :(

3. HowardSmith macrumors 6502a

:rolleyes:Was the sun directly on the phone? This can quickly overheat

4. MRCheckpoint macrumors newbie

All I have to do is use my phone for videos or just google earth and doing so will make the phone very hot. Not cool. I thought I left the overheating problem with android phones when I purchased the 5.

5. iregret macrumors 6502

Mines never overheated but it has gotten warm. I'll try the navigation on my way home from work today.