Overtemp Red LED comes on. What part of the system does in monitor?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Hawkeye411, Apr 8, 2008.

1. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

The OVERTEMP red LED keeps lighting up on the system board of my Power Mac G5 2.3GHz. Obviously something is overheating. I called Apple Support and he asked my how long it has been since I turned off my Power Mac. I told him its been 2 years (since I bought it). He said that I need to turn it off once in a while for some time. I use it to serve files so I can't turn it off. Sounds kind of ridiculous if you ask me.

He said that if it continues to happen I need to take it in for servicing because a fan could be broken, etc.

I am wondering, does anyone know what part of the system that the OVERTEMP led is related to? I asked the Apple care guy and he said that it was the memory. The LED is located next to the top memory bay along with 4 or 5 other warning LED's (e.g. CPU A, . I'm not convinced that it is related to the memory temperature though. So I thought I would ask all of you knowledgeable Mac owners if you know what the OVERTEMP LED is monitoring?

Cheers.

2. Manzana macrumors 6502a

Manzana

you could download something like istat pro

also, it doesn't make sense that he told you to shut it down once in a while, that's dumb.

3. krye macrumors 68000

krye

Does anyone know if the Jan Mac Pros are the same? I think I've noticed a red light shining out the back onto the wall late at night when I have the living room light off. Is that normal, or a sign that it is overheating?

4. Hawkeye411 thread starter macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

5. FireSlash macrumors member

We can't see images linked from your LAN. Upload it to photobucket or a similar service. (Or attach it)

6. Hawkeye411 thread starter macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

7. Rankrotten macrumors 6502

Rankrotten

I had this occurring in my Mac Pro:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=5189682&postcount=45

My problem occurred when the PSU could not supply enough power to my graphic cards using a molex splitter cable from the optical bay. I recabled using the spare PCIe connectors on the motherboard and all was ok.

Your PSU could be on the way out.