OWC Mercury Elite-AL Pro Dual Mini - Good Storage HDD?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by CFoss, May 26, 2011.

1. CFoss macrumors 6502

I'm planning on purchasing a MacBook Pro very soon. I plan on going with the 128GB SSD for the OS and any essential application that needs to run at full speed, such as Logic Studio. Otherwise, I plan on storing everything else on an external HDD. Files, such as my music, should not require a fast disk.

So what do people think of OWC's Mercury Elite-AL Pro Dual Mini External HDD? With a 1TB + 1TB RAID-1 setup, if a drive fails, I will still have the other drive running. This is to make up for the difficulty of backing up external drives with Time Machine. It's also bus powered for ease of use. I will probably purchase a performance-based drive down the road, but will not require it in the mean time (perhaps I will purchase an external SSD or something along the lines of that).

I'm just checking to see what people's opinions are on my thoughts.

2. 8CoreWhore macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore

Sounds good.

Just remember, you'll want to take advantage of the Thunderbolt Port.

3. CFoss thread starter macrumors 6502

Once they're released, that would be a good time to purchase a performance-based external drive. Thanks for the reminder. :D

4. sambuev macrumors member

sambuev

Why don't you put HDD instead of DVD-rom? You could have SSD + HDD in your MBP.

5. Heavertron macrumors regular

I have a single Mercury Elite-AL Pro, and the build quality is very high. I run it with an eSata card and it basically maxes out the read/write speeds of the drive (Interface is not a bottleneck). This will be fine for me until Thunderbolt devices are more available.

6. kahkityoong macrumors 6502

kahkityoong

Great build quality as mentioned and no problems with performance so far. I've just bought a second one.

7. Osamede macrumors 6502

Positie: Solidly built unit, totally silent as it is fanless. Works fine so far in 2-3 weeks of use.

Negative: some idiot has designed this thing with not one but two bright blue LED lights that are always on as long as the unit has power supplied. And when I say bright, I mean like blinding bright. This is not shown anywhere in the marketing materials. The lights are hidden behind the air vent, but I assure you when you power up in this thing, you'l notice.