OWC Mercury 'Extreme' vs 'Extreme Pro' ? ('Extreme' confusion)n

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by ix400, Nov 27, 2010.

1. ix400 macrumors newbie

Hi,

the current OWC drives come in two different flavours, the RE and non-RE editions. But is there also a PRO and non-PRO version?

In other words: Is the 'OWC Mercury Extreme PRO' the successor of the 'OWC Mercury Extreme'?

Here in Germany, I only found one dealer so far that is selling the OWC drives. And it seems to be the version without 'Pro'. But he sells this 'non-PRO' version as 'RE' and 'non-RE' versions.

Confusion.

Any input on this is appreciated.

Cheers,

Chris

2. diazj3 macrumors 6502a

Pro vs RE, I think the site explains it quite clearly....

It doesn’t mention any older versions, or the ones they carry over there.... perhaps the seller is omitting the "Pro" part?

cheers!

3. ix400 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm going to contact the seller. Maybe he just forgot the 'Pro'.

Chris

4. ix400 thread starter macrumors newbie

The seller already answered my question: He's selling the 'Pro'.

Now I just can hope that the non-RE edition also works in RAID0 arrays. As far as I have understood, the only difference between the standard and RE-edition is the amount of over provisioning that gives a bit more safety. Since the data on my array will always be backuped via TimeMachine, I won't need the additional data safety that the RE-edition provides.

Chris

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

More provision has nothing to do with safety; it's all about peformance; if more space is overprovisioned you would have a less likely situation of overwriting certain cells.

The best way to deal with low provision is just leave like 30% of the disk free; same thing as 30% provisioning except, you can't actually access the space in the latter situation.

6. ix400, Nov 28, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2010

ix400 thread starter macrumors newbie

= as long as I leave 30% free space on an RAID0 array based on the OWC non-RAID drives I will get the same performance like on an array built with the RE drives.

Thanks.

Chris