owner of 1st core 2 duo MBP, should I buy 2nd laptop now for cheap or wait

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dbit, Jan 12, 2010.

  1. dbit macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 2, 2006
    #1
    Here's my dilemma. My core 2 duo MBP is my primary machine which I use for audio and multimedia production. I don't like to take it anywhere but often find myself distraught that I don't have it with me.

    I've been drooling over a second machine (maybe the 13" MBP) to carry around with me and not worry as much.

    My question is, should I go ahead and get the smaller machine and be happy with it now, or should I wait another year or two and save money so that when my laptop is considered "old" I can get a blazing fast new one.

    I guess, in a sense I'm asking is it worth it to pay 1300 now and have a new portable laptop, or in the year or two time I wait and save, will the super machines that are out again obliterate and outmode the already fast computers of today.. I don't want to wait a year or two if we're really only talking gradual incremental differences.

    Any and all opinions are appreciated!!!
     
  2. disconap macrumors 68000

    disconap

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2005
    Location:
    Portland, OR
    #2
    If you need the second one, or parting with $1300 doesn't hurt you, go for it. If not I'd advise waiting until you need it, or buying it and selling your MBP for whatever you can get for it (probably a good chunk of your purchase price).
     
  3. techound1 macrumors 68000

    techound1

    Joined:
    Mar 3, 2006
    #3
    It will always be gradual, incremental upgrades. If your nervous having your computer out, go for a refrub 13" MBP now. There are a ton of utilities (xmarks, mobileme, evernote, dropbox, etc) to help you sync and access info from multiple devices.
     
  4. dbit thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 2, 2006
    #4
    Ok, final question, if I can purchase a nice mbp for 1000 right now, or wait for the i5 for 300 dollars more, do you all think its worth it, the new hardware for 3-400 dollars?
     
  5. disconap macrumors 68000

    disconap

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2005
    Location:
    Portland, OR
    #5
    The i5 is a vastly superior chipset, but 40% is a large increase. Again I'd say it's your call; realistically you're probably not going to notice a huge performance difference between the two models for at least two years...
     
  6. techound1 macrumors 68000

    techound1

    Joined:
    Mar 3, 2006
    #6
    And, if you buy now and decide you absolutely have to have the i5, you're not out the whole $1300. It will still retain a considerable amount of resale value, especially in good condition.
     
  7. Eric S. macrumors 68040

    Eric S.

    Joined:
    Feb 1, 2008
    Location:
    Santa Cruz Mountains, California
    #7
    Why don't you like to take it anywhere? What about getting a non-portable (iMac, mini) for your stationary machine, free up your laptop for portability, and then upgrade the laptop down the road?
     
  8. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

    Badger^2

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2009
    Location:
    Sacramento
    #8
    Exactly.

    You are thinking backwards. Get a new $1200 desktop and keep your current MBP to travel with.

    FWIW, I *highly* doubt the 13" MBP will see an "i" chip at all. Most likely just a faster C2D.
     
  9. Theclamshell macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Mar 2, 2009
    #9
    If they are putting intel graphics in it get one NOW
     

Share This Page