Owners of cinema displays with expired warranties!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by theturtle, Feb 11, 2012.

1. theturtle macrumors 6502a

Hello,

Boss is willing to sell me his Cinema Display 27 for a pretty good price.

He has (extended) apple care on it and is still active till May of this year. Im probably keeping it for more than just a few months but the issue is, with warranty expiring soon, Im nervous of what to do if the monitor decides to crap out a few months after the warranty expires.

I mean, even with the extended warranty, if it expires May 2012 WITH the apple care, it means that the display has to be about 3 years old already, which leaves me more hesitant. What do you think guys? Do cinema displays have a long life span? Would hate to find out that it last 4 years and by the time august comes around, I have a monitor that is all messed up and costs hundreds to fix.

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

27" Cinema Display was released in July 2010. Even if your boss got it on day 1 with AppleCare then it's covered until July 2013.

Go to apple.com/support and type the serial number into the warranty checker thingamajig and see when the warranty is due to expire.

3. theturtle thread starter macrumors 6502a

Brain fart.

It's a 24*****

4. visim91 macrumors 6502

Listen, I have the same monitor, Apple Care expired in December, these are Apple built products, made to last.

People still own and use Apple's previous line of displays (20/23/30) with no problems or complaints.

Unless you or your boss have reason to believe this particular monitor has some hardware issues, that baby is going to last.

It does cost $1000 for a reason: quality.

5. tums macrumors member

Concur with this statement. My 20 ACD lasted 7 years and was still going strong when I sold it.

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I have a Dell monitor from 10 years ago. It still works albeit the back-light is getting a bit dim. As long as you take good care of your stuff, these monitors should last forever.

7. lamboman macrumors 6502

I wouldn't be concerned about longevity. However, for similar money (unless he's flogging it cheap) you should be able to get a newer and superior Dell 24 for similar money.

Unless, of course, you want all Apple in your setup, which means that it's probably worth going for :)

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

A Dell 24" isn't necessary better or worse, that's not to mention the OP did not mention the price of the monitor, so you can't really say "for similar money." ;)

9. sehnsucht77 macrumors 6502

made to last? you must not be aware of the issues plaguing many, many, many people about smudges and failing backlighting with these monitors. i have one and I've seen if first hand on other monitors.

to the OP: if you can get it, go for it. but do be aware of the failing backlight issue. look it up to see what it looks like so you are aware.

10. FuNGi macrumors 65816

FuNGi

I have a 24" that I bought refurbished in 2008. I did need to use my Applecare once for a loose wire causing flickering of the display but imagine this would be a rather cheap repair out of warranty at an authorized repair shop. I also bought a used 23" ACD that is more than 5 years old for my special lady friend. Neither has any issues with lighting, "smudging", etc.

Assuming he is offering the monitor for <$500, there are no signs that it has been dropped, and not more than 1 or 2 screwy pixels, then I'd say it is worth it.

11. visim91 macrumors 6502

You must not be aware of basic statistics. While I will agree these problems may be present in a minority of end-users - the vast majority do not deal with such complications. Complaints will always outnumber compliments.

Ultimately, if these issues were rampant among all purchasers, there would not only be an iPod Nano recall, but one for the 24" ACD as well.

Made to last? Yes.

12. lamboman macrumors 6502

True. However, the newer Dell displays are generally better than the Apple models, and do typically sell for less money.

However, I do agree with your point, and if the OP's boss is letting go of the display for little money, it could be worth gunning for!

13. theturtle thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah decided to buy the monitor.

He upgraded to the thunderbolt and because we're somewhat close (weird right) he let it go for 385. Condition is pretty clean.

Buy I verified and the extended apple care warranty will expire soon.

I realize that complaints will outnumber compliments but still, I would hate it if the monitor craps out on me and I would be out 300+ dollars.

Is there any type of insurance that I could purchase after applecare expires or am i out of options (no homeowners please). Should I just use the monitor with the knowledge that it'll crap out on me sooner or later? Whether its in 5 months or 5 years.