Owners of negative black iPod touches - What are you going to do?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by metalarmed, Sep 16, 2007.

1. metalarmed macrumors member

It's really annoying having to tilt the ipod touch in order to watch dark scenes. What are the chances that they'll have a major recall if the problem can't be fixed?

2. cavemonkey50 macrumors 6502

A major recall isn't usually Apple's style. They tend to post in their knowledge base "If you're experiencing issues with black colors on your iPod touch, contact Apple support."

3. Arisian macrumors 68000

Arisian

we will see

there are alot of people keeping logs of this

just keep watching the forums

Arisian

4. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

5. xmx250 macrumors newbie

I dunno what i'm gonna do yet buts its making me very annoyed. I feel like i'm watching a cheapo screen. Sometimes i'm even a little hesitant to let people check out movies on the touch cause they are probably gonna think what a POS screen this

6. metalarmed thread starter macrumors member

I'm just afraid that they're going to release new batches with better screens in a month or two and leave everyone with the problem behind. :(

7. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

No. Mine, and those bought by two colleagues of mine are great with color and sound.

I have no doubts that some are effected, but I believe that there are many without this problem, and quite a few that are being hyper-sensative.

8. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

I see. Always the same though.

A little more glad mines not shipping till the end of the month, either way, it'd have to be pretty ****ed up for me to complain... This much, anyway.

9. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

10. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

I went by the Apple Store and they agreed to exchange my iPod with a unit from their next delivery. I went home and got a call a couple of hours later asking if I could come back and drop off the defective unit. Apparently Apple has sent out a note asking to have these borked units returned to them for examination, or something like that.

Anyway, I'm now touchless until tomorrow.

11. telf22 macrumors regular

location?

12. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

I just noticed that I have a bad screen. It isn't as bad as some others, though. I am getting a replacement when nearby stores get more in stock (they sold out)

13. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

D.C. Metro area. Tysons Corner Apple Store.

14. metalarmed thread starter macrumors member

So if I wanted to return mine and get a replacement, I have 14 days to do so? Do i get charged a restocking fee? I also doubt that they'll have it fixed in 14 days lol. Does warranty cover this problem?

15. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

I would say that if this is determined to be a manufacturing defect (which is very likely is) it will be replaced promptly.

16. caMi macrumors regular

Gloss, Will you keep us updated on how your new ipod does?

Thanks

17. thirdeyeopen666 macrumors 6502

thirdeyeopen666

I took my 16gb touch to my local Apple store (Chandler, AZ) and was surprisingly met with a good response. I lucked into getting one of the only intelligent people at the store, and he definitely saw the problem. He said to call back on Tues-Fri to see if they've gotten a new shipment and they'll be glad to exchange. They were definitely not willing to acknowledge any sort of widespread problem though.

18. AppleFan08 macrumors member

See though, I dont think getting a replacement right now is going to do any good. Chances are, youll probably get another one with a neg.black screwed up screen. My touch has a serious neg. black problem...i cant even bare to watch any movie with the color black in it.

19. metalarmed thread starter macrumors member

So is there really any point in returning defected ipod touches? I'm afraid that after 14 days, they won't accept exchanges.

20. parrotheadmjb macrumors 6502

i just got mine, and it appears that i have "the screen". im keeping mine until I know for a fact that apple is no longer producing "negative" screens or my 30 days at best buy ends. but I hope it can be fixed by software update, turning up brightness appears to do absolutely nothing to the "negative" problem

21. hatcher146 macrumors 6502

so since you bought from bestbuy you can return it within 30 days opened? is there a restocking fee? do they just give you another one?

22. parrotheadmjb macrumors 6502

you know i really dont know, but im bankin on them just replacing it once they get the touch in stock, they have a 30 day return, but im not sure if thats only for defective products, which i might be able to argue that it is defective

23. Santoanderson macrumors member

I have a feeling that this is a very isolated issue. Some assembly worker screwed up somewhere and a thousand units were corrupted. In the long run it will be better for Jobs to just address the issue and answer any complaints, because I can guarantee there will be clueless 15 year old valley girls who won't realize it's a problem and won't complain. Lots of people will just be content with what they've got. But if Jobs gets up onto his podium and issues a nationwide recall, he'll have a flop on his hands.

24. winterspan macrumors 65816

No

First of all, if you have the screen problem, TAKE THE IPOD BACK TO THE STORE. It kills me how many people on here just bitch about this problem and say "i dont know if I should take it back... but i hate it" --- jeeez.
    Besides, Apple abandoning everyone with the problem and just shipping a new batch to new customers WILL NEVER HAPPEN. Use some COMMON SENSE.

I'm removing my account from macrumors and never coming back here. I feel like Im in 6th grade around here. GOD DAMN

25. metalarmed thread starter macrumors member

Calm down. Look, this is the first ipod i've ever bought. I've sure seen many companies leaving early adopters behind, I'm just not sure if apple does. And even if I do take it back to the store, I am most likely going to get another one with the SAME problem. I just want to see apple resolve the problem within the 14 day exchange time frame.