P&G’s Gillette ad asks men to shave their ‘toxic masculinity’

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Jan 15, 2019.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/p...sh-ensues-2019-01-15?siteid=yhoof2&yptr=yahoo

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Just another stupid, "See how woke we are" ad campaign.

3. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

it's a SJW campaign, pretends we do teach toxic masculinity to our kids. then again others would say if the shoe fits blah blah blah...

4. Solver macrumors 6502a

I don’t like it, but free-speech allows even for derogatory sexist terms like that.

5. Mousse macrumors 68020

Mousse

I've never used a disposable razor. Dad taught me how to shave with a straight blade, but I'm none to adventurous for that anymore. I'm gonna teach my boy to shave with a safety razor and not those crappy disposable; cheaper and better in the long term.
    [​IMG]
    Ja ja girlie men, you can shave with a Gillette, real men shave with a real razor.:p

6. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

used disposable straights (feather artist club) and liked it, went to a shavette from there and a Merkur slant. the face is no problem but shaving the dome requires too many passes so it end ups irritating the hell out of me, I do my first pass with the Merkur and finish out with cartridge, the cartridge last about 3 weeks this way

7. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

Capital has no problem fitting into changing cultural norms. You can be a giant multinational that is as "woke" as possible and still be massive tax cheats with abusive practices towards your labor force. Look at Apple for a great example.

I do have to ask if anyone who's posted here has even the faintest clue of what Toxic Masculinity is, because the comments to me show that you guys think it means "attack men".

8. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

I thought that man buns and beards were all the craze, this smacks of an attempt to reach millennials who are no longer using their razors.

9. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

Well I mean you have to really reach in order to get broke people to buy your crazy overpriced crap. In a world where you can spend $5 a month on razors shipped to your house wtf does Gillete do with their bullet proof glass protected $20 razor packs in stores? Advertise.

10. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

women also shave, so this is also meant for women to buy their products.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 15, 2019 ---
    $20 covers you for the year if you use DE blades.

11. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

I know it's fun to make fun of them as being poor people living in their mom's basement or something but judging from what I've seen in places like SF and Portland, they're actually employed and make good money.

12. BigMcGuire, Jan 15, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2019

BigMcGuire Contributor

I can grow a full beard in less than 3 months. I have a 6'oclock shadow right after lunch. I used to dull razors on a weekly basis... and none of this is to brag, I hated it and still do. Went to a Braun electric and haven't looked back - and resigned myself to a full beard.

This ad is just off putting. I guess the 312k+ downvotes as of this morning means I'm not alone. 336k now.

Wonder how an ad telling women they need to stop doing something would go over...

I believe I know very well what it means, and I acknowledge it exists. I do, however, also believe it is used by a lot to excuse/justify anti-male behavior. One has to acknowledge that there is such a thing as toxic femininity too, but that's politically incorrect to even talk about.

13. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

The ad is preachy and a bit ridiculous, but trying to instill values of respect in men isn't such a bad idea. There were 4 generations of professional women in my family (head nurse, lawyer, scientist, and physician) and each generation has suffered the same degree of impolite inconsiderate sexist bullsh*t from male colleagues.

14. BigMcGuire Contributor

15. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

I'm a millennial. If current events (shutdown) has revealed the lies about our country it should be this: we're all ****ing poor. I don't know what else you can call 70%+ of the country living paycheck to paycheck.

I don't know how you took my post as a dig against millennials rather than speaking the truth about what this country's economic policy has done to all of us over the last 40+ years. We either get real about where we're at or we just admit we prefer illusion and fairy tales to acknowledging and dealing with our problems.

I think you misunderstood my post entirely.

16. Altis macrumors 68030

It's fashionable these days to be endlessly critical of men and boys.

However, almost any comment about women or sometimes even a single women will result in uproar.

17. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

I'm not sure what that term would even entail, but I look at these things in terms of power dynamics. Even if "toxic femininity" is a thing, we live in a male dominated system. I won't worry about the .0005% problem over the 99.9995%.

18. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

Understood. The reason I took it that way is because I said it catered to millennials and you followed up with "Well I mean you have to really reach in order to get broke people". Seems like a simple enough misunderstanding, no offense meant.

19. BigMcGuire Contributor

99.9995% vs .0005%? So men are never victims of sexual harassment? http://www.nbcnews.com/id/19536167/ns/business-careers/t/male-sexual-harassment-not-joke/

"While the number of sexual harassment cases overall has consistently declined in the past few years, “sexual harassment filings by men have consistently increased, doubling over 15 years,” says David Grinberg, a spokesman for the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, or EEOC."

Other sites I didn't fact check cite 17% are male victims of all sexual harassment charges.

I think it's a little more than .0005%.

20. Altis macrumors 68030

Oddly enough, it's only "0.0005%" of men at the top, yet it's still "male dominated." ;)

21. BigMcGuire Contributor

Agreed. I think it's one thing to instill values vs you're automatically guilty and need to get rid of your X cuz just by being male you have X.

Some of us don't treat women like ... well whatever they were trying to say we treat women like in the video.

22. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

Ah, so you're intentionally pinning toxicity to only sexual harassment. Toxic masculinity is a cultural problem that is far and away bigger than harassment and assaults, it's the cultural norms that drive such behaviors and mindsets. I don't have time to unpack this right now but you're pigeonholing my statements into a space that is far too narrow to get at what I actually meant.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 15, 2019 ---
    What? I have absolutely no idea what that was supposed to mean or even reference.

23. BigMcGuire, Jan 15, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2019

BigMcGuire Contributor

Works for me. I didn't mean to pigeonhole your statement. It was just the first thing that came to mind.

I've been yelled at by women who thought I was offending their gender by holding doors open for them. I've been given an F in a college class by a female professor who said women need more of a chance so she was giving all the males an F (and she did). I've been yelled at for being a male and had my opinion invalidated because of my gender. I think there is a lot more anti-male'ness out there than we as a society would like to admit and it is encouraged.

That said, yes, there is toxic masculinity, I don't deny it. Rap treats women worse than **** yet gets a free pass in our society today, as one of many examples. The need for TV to treat women as pieces of meat vs actual actresses with skill is really sad. Women treated bad by men are often told they are the ones at fault for why men treated them a certain way. Male PhD professors sometimes ask women (PhDs themselves) to get them drinks at conferences. (Attempting to cover all the bases as to not pigeonhole your statement).

24. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

Fair enough. The professor thing is ******** (towards you), but you've shown you actually have a grasp of the terms at play here....unlike some people.

25. Altis macrumors 68030

It's like a post-modernist bingo. :p

You assert without proof that society is "male dominated", but men are a demographic, not a group (and less so than women, who consistently show far stronger in-group bias than do men).

Men are worse off in just about every way in society, and what's more is that nobody gives a hoot -- all the energy is spent on addressing women's issues. When it comes to suicide, school dropout, post-secondary education, life expectancy, workplace deaths, criminal sentences, family court, substance abuse, homelessness, social support, legally-backed discrimination, even rights (such as body integrity, reproductive, selective service), and so on... men are worse off. They're even the minority in society and as a voting demographic.

0/10 worst patriarchy ever. You would have hoped that the progressives would tackle the issues on grounds of "equality" but like everyone else, don't really seem bothered by it.