Packing heat in Detroit:

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Aug 21, 2015.

1. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

can't carry a cop, but you can carry your 1911. glad the women are the ones driving growth here.

2. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Detroit is the sad and inevitable result of years single-party governance: a barrens of lost hopes and wasted promise. Trees erupt through the asphalt and blocks of abandoned houses sink into the landscape as the city returns to a state of nature. Look, yonder pile of bricks might have been a home; that red chimney standing lonely and forlorn was a factory. Who lived and worked there? Where did they go? One hundred thousand dreams illuminated the heart of an industrial metropolis now ensepulchred under rolling grasslands and grey skies. Probably a gun is necessary; one must protect oneself from the coyotes, bears, and other carnivores prowling the dark avenues of this dystopian wasteland.

3. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

lolok

4. FieldingMellish Suspended

Very novel-like writing. You can be an author.

5. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Cheer up. Read this. :) And my apologies if you have already read it!

http://www.buzzfeed.com/drewphilp/why-i-bought-a-house-in-detroit-for-500

6. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

7. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

As offshoring of capital becomes so yesterday (due to ongoing pressure for tax code changes) then American corporations will start looking around for the next new thing. At home. So how long can it be before they rediscover Detroit?! I think it's already happening, just mostly under the radar.

8. FieldingMellish Suspended

Also fabulously written! What's with this thread that makes the words spill forth so?

Here's baby steps to a resurgence. The $500.00 home.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/drewphilp/why-i-bought-a-house-in-detroit-for-500#.jvyJ803G1M

9. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Probably because everyone is sanguine about American renewal and Detroit encapsulates that attitude.

10. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I've actually grown very pessimistic about American renewal. I used to be an optimist. But American politics has drained that away. Luckily, something like gay rights pops up and reminds me what progress looks like.

11. FieldingMellish Suspended

Oy vey. Change the thread title to Packing Meat in Detroit.

12. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Yesterday I chatted with a buddy in Detroit and he is very optimistic. It seems they are doing great things on Woodward Avenue.

13. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

The chick on Rehab addict is hot and is rebuilding the city crack house by crack house. Takes time.

14. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Things are definitely picking up. Bumped into this today in the Detroit News -- Amazon wants to expand its Detroit setup into a mid-country version of its Seattle tech hub. They're trying to hire another hundred software engineers in order to double their current presence in Detroit.

Hey, every job generates at least another couple of jobs in the same general location. Gotta buy your coffee and lunch makings somewhere. Even Amazon employees don't buy EVERYTHING online (one can hope). :)

15. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Well, everything is picking up except the Lions. :p