Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

guifa

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 19, 2002
Auburn, AL
This has bothered me since the first release of Pages. When you turn on typographic quotation marks, in English it puts them in properly as “ and ”. If you boot Pages in French, it does it correctly as « and ». For German it uses „ and ”, but for Spanish it idiotically uses “ ” instead of « ». I just installed Pages ’08 (university bookstore finally got in some copies) and it’s still broken.

There still seems to be no definition for this in the Localizable.strings file which would make sense, so ... </vent> does anyone know how to edit these strings or a way to turn on correct marks in Spanish?

guifa

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 19, 2002
Auburn, AL
There's been a bug report on it filed since November of 2005. I'm going to submit a new one since I suppose technically it's a different version.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I just noticed that a Puerto Rican Reggaeton musician posted a bulletin and it had the quotes you mentioned that Spanish should not have. Could it be that some countries are okay with them and not others? I had worked for a company doing a dual language version of their software and we had to pick our Spanish carefully.

I should try Pages in Japanese to see what it does.

guifa

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 19, 2002
Auburn, AL
Could it be that some countries are okay with them and not others? I had worked for a company doing a dual language version of their software and we had to pick our Spanish carefully.

I should try Pages in Japanese to see what it does.
Well, similarly to in English, it's to some degree a question of preference. Eg, Americans use “” on the outside and ‘’*for inner, and Brits use ‘’*for outer, and “” for inner. French users also use “”*at times, although in all formal contexts afaik «» is mandatory (and is also supposed to have a quarter-space between the mark and the enclosed letters). The Royal Spanish Academy acknowledges the existance of “”*but as inner quotes. «» are the prefered outer quotes, and most monolingual publishers (like Cátedra) use them exclusively, with ‘’ for inner.

There's an option for changing the language of the text currently being typed, and that affects both hyphenation and spell checking, but if you change it to French, for instance, it keeps it with “”. It's a shame that Apple has such great localization support in their frameworks (Unicode, a decent bit of OTF stuff, NSLocalized) but they don't actually use half of it (iPod can't display Hebrew, Arabic, Armenian, Thai song titles, but iTunes can okay, Mac OS X not localized to Russian or Arabic or Hebrew).

To answer mad_jew's question ... no. At the system level, all quotation marks are actually ditto marks: "" because that's what typowriters used to have. You have to remember key combinations to curl them properly in English or any of the other latin script languages (not sure about the non-latin script ones). Mellel does this for a much larger number of languages, but I like the interface otherwise for Pages better and I can remember the key combinations for «*» (on my ISO Spanish, shift-option-´ and shift-option-ç).

Also, I thought about doing an auto-correct for space, quote ( ") to « and quote, space (" ) to », but the autocorrect depends on spaces to activate it, so that doesn't work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.