Pages 08 ¿What about CITATIONS???

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Jwong, Feb 10, 2008.

1. Jwong macrumors newbie

I enjoy too much make my work on Pages 08, but this software have a huge seriously problem: CAN´T WORK WITH CITATIONS!!! :eek:

So, in a helping way, I suggest to the software developers: please do something about it (don´t let Micrososft Office 2008 win the race).

2. nsbio macrumors 6502a

nsbio

Steve Jobs knows better what you need - you do not need no stinkin' citations. Period. You would have to live with that until he decides otherwise. Or you might consider an alternative word processor such as Mellel. As a bonus, Mellel seems much faster than iWork working with large documents.

3. Jwong thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your advice nsbio, but I found this Mellel a little complicate at the moment to work with citations (besides you have to pay US$ 49.00 for a regular license)

Later, I found this software called NeoOffice wich have it´s own data base for citations (with fields); and the better part: it´s free.

You can check it here: http://www.neooffice.org/neojava/en/index.php

4. nsbio macrumors 6502a

nsbio

Neooffice is slow, at least way slower than Office 04 on PPC machines. I do not know how it is on Intels. At least on PPC machines this sluggishness makes it frustrating to use in real life, even though it technically has all the features.

5. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

What do you mean Pages "can't work with citations?" I use citations all the time in Pages. What are you trying to do?

6. Jwong thread starter macrumors newbie

I got this MacBook (Black) 2.0 intel core duo with 1.5 RAM and NeoOffice works perfectly on it (even faster than pages). Don´t doubt you´re right with this PPC machines, but on intel cores the history it´s totally different.

7. Jwong thread starter macrumors newbie

What I´m trying to do it´s to use a specific menu (that Pages 08 does´nt have) to introduce all the bibliography that I used to create my document.

For instance, Word 2008 for mac have this alternative and it´s very comfortable to fill the fields on the menu and let the software do the rest for you only with one click.

The only way to work citations in Pages 08, it´s enter manually (at the foot of the page) the data of each book you used creating the document: this is precisely what I want to avoid; besides, in this modality, you need to know good the style you follow (APA, Chicago, Harvard) meanwhile working with "citations menu" you can forget all this stuff because the software do it for you.

8. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Sorry, I don't use Word, and I don't follow your explanation of this feature. I just type my citations.

9. Nanci macrumors newbie

Help with specific problem in Citations

I have used Citations in Word on MAC in the past and it's worked exceptionally well. However, today I find that it doesn't. When I used to double click on a source to have it embedded in my paper, it embedded a citation with a frame around it. The frame always allowed me to edit the citation. However, now there is no frame and I can't figure out how to get it. Instead I just get a citation that I can't edit: delete title or add pages etc.. It just is grayed out and has no frame. Any suggestions about how to get the frame back?

10. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

+1 Not to mention posting on Macrumors will do nothing. However sending a message to http://www.apple.com/feedback may get you the feature you want.