Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stuartmeyers

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 1, 2010
Sydney
Hi All,
I have been using Pages to edit a document a lot as I find it better to work on the lounge with the Ipad than sit in the chair at the notebook (which is what I do all day for work).

One thing I want is to use a Delete Key (like on a PC) and not only have the Destructive Backspace. The Delete key deletes to the right of the cursor whereas the Backspace deletes to the left.

Is it somewhere on the keyboard or a shortcut that I am missing?

Apple, if you are listening (hahaha!) - Please add Delete Key as feature request in Pages. For example, press Backspace to Backspace or hold the backspace to get the Delete Key (like it does with the ,).

Regards
Me

lokerd

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2010
Beaumont
I would do just about ANYTHING to get a fwd delete or at least a couple of arrow keys. I spend several hours a day, or more on the iPad, writing emails, posts on several forums, etc. Yesterday, I even created a press from the ground up. Point is, I type a lot on the iPad and I REALLY feel like my life would be a lot easier if I simply had a fwd delete key and/or arrow keys.

I don't understand how something so basic could be left off!?!?

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Apple doesn't have a fwd delete key even on their desktop OS. This is number one reason I gave up on OSX. Number two is shortcut commands like Ctrl+Home, Ctrl+PgUp, etc, work only in some programs but not others -- it got too confusing trying to remember which contexts they worked and which contexts they didn't. In general, Apple doesn't seem to believe in navigating with keyboards. Every time I've raised this issue with Mac users, they tell me to "just use the mouse" (or in the case of iDevices, use fingers). *sigh*

tallyho

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2004
UK
Apple doesn't have a fwd delete key even on their desktop OS. This is number one reason I gave up on OSX. Number two is shortcut commands like Ctrl+Home, Ctrl+PgUp, etc, work only in some programs but not others -- it got too confusing trying to remember which contexts they worked and which contexts they didn't. In general, Apple doesn't seem to believe in navigating with keyboards. Every time I've raised this issue with Mac users, they tell me to "just use the mouse" (or in the case of iDevices, use fingers). *sigh*

fn+Backspace

Seriously, that's pretty basic knowledge.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
fn+Backspace

Seriously, that's pretty basic knowledge.

Really? I never saw that in any of the keyboard shortcut lists I looked at! I'll have to try this, thanks!

And yes, it might seem like a small thing, but not having forward delete (as well as other keyboard shortcuts for navigating inside documents not always working / having trouble remembering new shortcuts) seriously slows down my typing. As most of what I do on a desktop computer is type documents, it becomes a bigger issue than it might seem at first glance.

lokerd

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2010
Beaumont
The thing that frustrates me on a Mac is a lack of alternate key strokes. I teach in a computer lab (photography and desktop publishing) and lay heavy on the students learning their keyboard commands include a long list of keyboard shortcuts, like alt, f, u for page setup, or alt, f, a for save as.

I just don't understand why NOBODY has released alternate keyboards for e iPad. I think there is one for the iPhone, but my last check it was not compatible with the iPad. It is really frustrating. I feel like my efficiency would easily go up 10-20% with arrow keys and fwd delete.

Fishbum

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2011
I purchased an Ipad2 last week.. my first apple product! thought I give it a try.. Since I bought the I pad and learning to use it I've come to learn Apple does not use a Delete key!... EVERY KEY BOARD IN THE WORLD HAS A DELETE KEY!! EXCEPT APPLE ! How RETARDED! I've been saying "F*king Apple" phrase a lot since I purchased this !! my use of the word "*****" has drastically increased the last week!.
I think I will have to go to counseling for awhile after learning how to use the Ipad !!!! LOL... unreal.. Apple should give you counseling coupons will all their merchandise they sell !! LOL...

Laserdad

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2012
Why a delete key is so important for Pages

Pages needs a delete key desperately because when you use your finger to select a word, it automatically moves the cursor to the front of a word. If the only place you could move your mouse was to the front of a word, very quickly you would understand why a delete key is so useful. The other reason is that often there are capitalization errors from auto corrections. For instance, Pages for iPad does not do auto capitalization after quotation marks so editing an email or manuscript you have to go back and fix all that by deleting the entire word (starting from the end of the word) and then retype the entire word.

Seriously, this is not impressive programming. Like they couldn't do shift-backspace or space-backspace as a delete action. It is extremely frustrating and almost as large of a time waster as some of the more retarded limitations of MS Outlook. And that is saying something.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.