Pages docs on previous PowerPC G5 not opening on my new iMac 10.8.4

Discussion in 'iMac' started by mulocster, Nov 20, 2013.

1. mulocster macrumors newbie

Hi Guys,

My 8 year old iMac G5 with PowerPC 'kicked the bucket'! Logic board was shot.
    I just purchased new iMac 10.8.4 and got the tech guys to transfer all my data (have not updated to mavericks just yet).
    I have quite a few important .pages docs which I now cannot access.
    Can anyone suggest how I can get to these files?

Many thanks,

C

2. Dambuster43, Nov 20, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2013

Dambuster43 macrumors member

New Apple devices get iWorks free....ask at your local Apple store.....but I will guess somebody having bought new and sorted out the freebie, will advise the process.

There is also a free cloud version accessed via Safari.

AND...... have you tried to update the old versions....my iWorks dated back to 2006 but worked on Mountain Lion after they updated.

Edit. BTW. my old G5 is as good as new! Still in use but nothing new added after Apple dropped support and none of the new stuff will install.

3. mulocster thread starter macrumors newbie

@Dambuster43
    I was not informed of free iworks when I purchased my new iMac :mad:
    Would new iWork open my old files?
    Pages in icloud will also not read my old files with .pages extension.
    And an iWork update will not 'update' !!

So I'm still at a lose as to how I can access my files.

Cheers,

C

4. Porco macrumors 68030

Porco

The new versions of the iWork apps require Mavericks.

Many people are unhappy with the newest versions of the iWork apps anyway though, so if I was you I would try and get hold of an iWork '09 install disc (and a cheap USB DVD drive if you need one), and then keep an eye on sites like MacRumors to see when Apple add back missing features etc to the new versions when you're ready to move to Mavericks.

As a stop-gap measure, you might be able to recover text from them by opening them in the Preview app as a temporary measure if there was any info you had to get to. You should also be able to use Quicklook (select file and hit the spacebar) to view them.

5. mulocster thread starter macrumors newbie

@Porco
    I may have to install Mavericks.
    Dont know where I cud get my hands on '09 iWork Disc.
    'Preview' and 'Quicklook' are no help. They just give the same pane which is the file name and icon of a blank page with the top corner turned!

Many thanks,

C