Pages - how to create a newsletter for my company ?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by FrenchPB, Mar 4, 2008.

1. FrenchPB macrumors 6502

Hey guys,

I need to create a newsletter for my business team. It should be a 20-page document with articles, pictures, tables and graphs...

I wanted to make it look very cool using a Mac app, and was wondering whether Pages would fit the bill. Could I find any template to work on something like that, or would a more traditionnal MS Word be more useful for that use ?

Thanks for your advices

2. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

I think that you would be much better off using a dedicated DTP program for a 20 page newsletter.

3. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Sounds like something you would want Adobe InDesign for.

4. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Forget dedicated DTP software; it's expensive, has a steep learning curve and should really only be used by those who have some familiarity with design and production.

I'm assuming this is a one-off that will be run out on an office laser printer and then stapled or wiro-bound? Use Pages and if it's not being printed as in going to press, send them a PDF.

5. Macjames macrumors 6502a

we use pages a lot in my company, far much better than microsoft word, it really gives a much better look to a newsletter and people are far more likely tio take notice.

6. FrenchPB thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't want invest too much time on it, so InDesign is not really an option as I don't know the software. Basically, I have asked a few team members to write different articles and stuffs, and I'll throw everything into a nice template.

Is there a website where you can get free templates for Pages, or should I use one by default ?

Pages seems like a good options if I can find the right template...

7. davidwes macrumors regular

If you can not make a good looking newsletter using pages without any outside templates then you should not be in charge of creating the newsletter!!!! Or atleast delegate the design to someone else!

8. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Pages comes with 12 newsletter templates, each one of which includes several page designs. If you don't already have the demo version on your Mac, you can download it from Apple and have a look at the template selection.

9. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

Exactly. If this is a project you are attempting yourself, for your own company then I wouldn't try to learn InDesign in a short space of time.

Pages seems like a good option, as you can use one of the included templates to get you started, and once your comfortable you can basically change anything. You are limited only by your imagination.

There is no need to do this for this type of project, IMO. The OP already stated this is for their own company, and it is not always financially viable for smaller businesses to outsource their design work. As for the templates, well it's enough to get anyone started and then it can be taken in a completely different direction.