Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zamudiovsky

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 17, 2012
Didn't they say that these apps were going to be free? I went into the Mac App Store and they are still $19.99 each, do I have to do anything special? Or is it only free for iOS?

Fimeg

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2013
Didn't they say that these apps were going to be free? I went into the Mac App Store and they are still $19.99 each, do I have to do anything special? Or is it only free for iOS?

Free for iOS, free for OS X with the purchase of a new computer or if you had some prior version. Go find the trial version of iWork 09 and then get the update (If this is a form of piracy that isn't allowed on the forums please let me know).

zamudiovsky

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 17, 2012
Free for iOS, free for OS X with the purchase of a new computer or if you had some prior version. Go find the trial version of iWork 09 and then get the update (If this is a form of piracy that isn't allowed on the forums please let me know).

Oh I get it, I wish they would do it for everyone, I paid the same amount for my MBP as the people that bought it today :( thanks

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008

zamudiovsky

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 17, 2012
You could try it with the trial version of iWork ’09 as well (which is free, just Google it). There was a bug that unlocked the App Store versions with just the trial version. Perhaps it still works?

http://9to5mac.com/2013/10/23/app-s...al-users-to-update-the-entire-suite-for-free/

I wish it would ... I'm giving it a try right now

just tried it, I don't get updates on the App Store, well, I will have to download only the necessary ones at $19

eagleglen

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
You could try it with the trial version of iWork ’09 as well (which is free, just Google it). There was a bug that unlocked the App Store versions with just the trial version. Perhaps it still works?

http://9to5mac.com/2013/10/23/app-s...al-users-to-update-the-entire-suite-for-free/

i just tried this and it only allowed me to update Pages. Keynote and Numbers show an update available, but I get an error saying they weren't purchased with my Apple ID. This is actually fine with me since Pages would be the app I'd use most.

Is Handoff working in Pages between Yosemite and IOS 8.02?

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
just tried it, I don't get updates on the App Store, well, I will have to download only the necessary ones at $19

That’s unfortunate. Have you updated it to the latest version as well (you might have to check apple.com support for an updater)? I suppose it only works with the full version of iWork ’09.

I figured that most OS X users would have iWork by now, since Apple has been practically giving it away for some time now. Even before the App Store, Apple never put any TPMs in place to prevent piracy and iWork ’09 users have received every update since then and will continue to receive free updates now that Apple allows users to match them with the App Store. But that is up to you. ;-)

airlied

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2011

It isn't piracy. Apple officially allows you upgrade it from a trial version of iwork 09.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
is your OS in english? you have to switch it to US english for the trick to work. otherwise the update doesnt show. you can return to your main language after the update is complete

YanniDepp

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2008
It isn't piracy. Apple officially allows you upgrade it from a trial version of iwork 09.

"It isn't piracy. An error I'm exploiting just gives me the full version I haven't paid for."

"It isn't theft. They just left the bike sitting in the street, with a really weak lock."

"It isn't robbery. If you point a gun at the bank teller, they willingly hand over the money."

"It isn't murder. They would have defended themselves better if they didn't want to be killed."

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore

It's a gray area, IMO. I don't think this was intended by Apple, but then again, they haven't bothered to patch this loophole. I am guessing the folks at Apple aren't bothered as they have already earned enough from iWork's, and it helps keeps users within the Apple ecosystem.

phillytim

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
The iWork suite is most definitely NOT FREE; at least, it's not as FREE as Apple led everyone to believe at the keynote yesterday.

Apple just said that iWork is FREE.

They didn't say that it's FREE for anyone with a new device and for anyone who previously bought it, as they did at last years keynote.

So I was under the impression that they just let it loose for everyone, regardless of the age of their device.

Shame, I might of actually started to use and like those apps.

deviant

macrumors 65816
Oct 27, 2007
"It isn't piracy. An error I'm exploiting just gives me the full version I haven't paid for."

"It isn't theft. They just left the bike sitting in the street, with a really weak lock."

"It isn't robbery. If you point a gun at the bank teller, they willingly hand over the money."

"It isn't murder. They would have defended themselves better if they didn't want to be killed."

LOL you're trying too hard. everybody who had trials got the updates for free. its just how it is. they said no problem, so what are you whining about? if apple doesn't care, why do YOU?

Fimeg

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2013

I personally am in favor of this opinion... probably shouldn't have stated the obvious, i.e., in exploiting the trial.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
I personally am in favor of this opinion... probably shouldn't have stated the obvious, i.e., in exploiting the trial.

Of the four examples he gave, only the first one could be a good analogy here. This could be seen as an exploit to gain access to a protected work without permission of the copyright holder. However, that is not what is happening. Apple is the one offering the upgrade mechanism and the free trial. If you happen to have the trial installed and the App Store triggers the update, then Apple is in fact, albeit unintentionally, offering a licence to you. This is what happens when you download something from the App Store: you conclude a licence agreement.

Apple could terminate that licence if they want to, if they establish that they never intended to offer a licence to you for free. But it’s technically not an exploit, you legitimately receive a licensed copy of iWork. If you had to manipulate their servers or anything, then that would be a different matter. It’s at most dishonest (if you do this knowingly).

Hustler1337

macrumors 68000
Dec 23, 2010
London, UK

Just tried it. It shows up on the Updates section of the Mac App store. However, it does not let you update.

Screen_Shot_2014_10_17_at_18_56_30.png

Fimeg

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2013
Just tried it. It shows up on the Updates section of the Mac App store. However, it does not let you update.

Customer of mine just came in to my shop today with this error... However, he used an iWork '09 disk. It looks like even legitimate, albeit old, installations do not work anymore.

rrm74001

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2008

While we are aware that this enables piracy of our apps for unethical users, Apple has never taken a strong stance or action against piracy in the past. We like to believe that our users are honest, even if that belief is in vain.

Yes, they allow it. But it is still piracy.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
Yes, they allow it. But it is still piracy.

Of course Apple would say that, like any copyright holder would do (notice the word ‘unethical’ to demonise). That doesn’t mean that it’s piracy according to law. I would argue that it isn’t. But it’s not working anymore anyway, so there’s no point in arguing. :)

rrm74001

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2008
Of course Apple would say that, like any copyright holder would do (notice the word ‘unethical’ to demonise). That doesn’t mean that it’s piracy according to law. I would argue that it isn’t. But it’s not working anymore anyway, so there’s no point in arguing. :)

Justify it however you want. It is still piracy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.