Paid $700 and AT&T STILL RENEWED MY CONTRACT

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Vic-Viper, Jun 23, 2010.

1. Vic-Viper macrumors regular

:mad:
    I wasn't elegible for a cheaper iPhone 4 until "November" (isn't all 2010 iPhones supposed to get at least $200 off?) so I shrugged it off and called AT&T. I wanted to make absolutely sure that if I paid full price, this wouldn't be an issue next year. I called 3 times before to assure that if I paid full price that I would NOT get renewed. They assured me each time that I would be fine and no renewal would take place. I pre-ordered the iPhone thru apple.com and it charged me the full $699.

I got the iPhone today, plugged it into iTunes and read the contract carefully. I did not see anything related to a 2 year renewal. I may have missed it since it was MANY MANY pages long.

Once done, I called AT&T to confirm. After asking, they put me on hold for 15 minutes. Once back, I was informed that I had indeed been renewed. Asking what my options where, they told me to go to "The apple store where I bought it" since it was "renewed by apple". I proceeded to tell her that I ordered it from their site and that the nearest apple store is 4.5 hours away. The woman was nice, so I kindly asked to speak to a supervisor. After being on hold an additional 10 minutes, I was told they where all in a meeting and that they would call me back today. I agreed and hung up. It is now 8:30 PST and still no word from AT&T.

Update: I ended up calling back and asking for a supervisor right away. Once in contact she told me she would need proof from Apple to resolve the issue. Since Apple is closed, she will call me tomorrow at 4:30 pm est. I will post my results as they come in.

2. macbookpro45 macrumors 6502

The worst thing you could do is stop pursuing this matter. The longer it goes unanswered the less likely you will have a verdict in your favor. Pursue the matter, call again. Use the Facebook ATT page to get a hold of a service rep. through an email to supplement your phone calls to ATT.

3. aforty macrumors 65816

aforty

Keep on top of them. If they are any sort of decent company (oh boy, you're screwed) they will have logged your previous calls where they confirmed that your contract would not be renewed. You'll get this fixed. Complain, complain and then complain some more. Then complain to a supervisor. Then complain to a manager. When you don't get your way add poor customer service to your complaint and complain some more.

Just... complain, a lot. :rolleyes:

4. Vic-Viper thread starter macrumors regular

No worries there, I will be on them like oil on a gulf pelican (too soon?).

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

The Apple store employee screwed up and renewed your contract.
    I was in the same situation and bought a full price iphone 4 online thru AT&T's website.
    My contract didnt get renewed, it displays that I am due for a full subsidy in February 2011.
    Stay on top of it and have them fix it. I dont see why they wouldnt.
    Just human error.

6. aforty macrumors 65816

aforty

Yea, too soon... :(

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If you paid full price, you are not suppose to get a renewal; so at this point, you do have the receipt for your phone and therefore have the contract voided.

8. Vic-Viper thread starter macrumors regular

I didn't buy it in an apple store. Thats the problem. I simply pre-ordered on apple's site.

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Oh, I see.
    It wouldnt make sense going to your nearest Applestore since its like 5 hours away.
    Just call them up and explain the situation.
    Also make sure you have copies of your receipt incase you need to fax or email them.
    They should be able to log/acess your order number and fix the contract renewal.
    Good luck.
    Let us know how it went. See if they will kick in any freebies for their screwup and your inconvenience.

10. dave006 macrumors 68030

dave006

Good luck and to some extent you are correct that if you were able to walk into the Apple or AT&T store today, you should be able to purchase the iPhone 4 at the "No Commitment" price as long as you had an account with AT&T. However you are not doing this you did a pre-order with had different requirement and just a FYI the FAQ on the iPhone Pre-Order page has the following information clearly displayed:

Can I buy an iPhone without an AT&T contract?

No. iPhone requires a two-year AT&T wireless service contract
    .​

It clearly looks like the automated process in the Apple pre-order cycle would be covered in this FAQ Entry:

Can I get a new iPhone if I already have a contract with AT&T?

Yes. When you click on Check your eligibility, we’ll review your account to determine your iPhone eligibility and pricing. Some plans may not qualify

So in summary you got exactly what you ordered, a new two-year service commitment and a price that was determined by the eligiblity tool. You agreed to the AT&T contract terms when you completed the pre-order. You should have received a new CSS that showed the bad news.

I agree with you and again wish you the best of luck in resolving this matter but I wanted you to have more information on the "how" it happened.

Dave

11. Briview macrumors regular

Good luck, Vic... I hope it all works out and you are able to get the device without the contract. Does anybody know that if you are new to AT&T and want to cancel the service with the iPhone 4, you are eligible to then purchase the device ($199, let's say) and then call AT&T and cancel the contract ($325 for ETF) and you're set? So basically, without opening the package nor using the phone, will you be able to actually keep the phone without hassle for around $525?

12. cowsrus macrumors 6502

So far nobody is allowed to buy a no-commitment iPhone 4
    I agree with the statement he bolded, as that is clearly stated on Apple's website
    AT&T gave you wrong info as they always do, and if you make a scene they may take back your renewal, but if I had to take a side I would pick AT&T as it was clearly stated that a new contract would occur if you bought an iPhone 4

Good luck though