Paid twice for a 13' MBP but didn't even buy it.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hazedragon45, Mar 7, 2011.

1. hazedragon45, Mar 7, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2011

hazedragon45 macrumors regular

Went to Futureshop in Canada to buy my MBP 13' today. Forgot to bring govt ID, so they had to verify my identity with my CC. I was fine with that. When the process took too long, manager was rude to me about it and i told him i'm not going to buy it. Requested for my card back and said he can't give it back until he verified my info.

When i verified my address, that wasn't enough. he had to call again, but did this in the back room. Somehow he verified my identity even though i wasnt there and gave me my card back. This was yesterday.

Today i looked at my bank statement and i was charged 2x for the MBP........................ Not once, Twice.

****RESOLVED!****

Finally got my 13' i5 Macbook Pro today after this entire mishap. They took a week to refund the money, but at the end of the day I was glad it happened because of the compensation i got for it

I bought the Macbook Pro at student price, got a $250 gift card to use towards it, and a free iPod touch (did not pay taxes on it). I pretty much saved over $500! yay

Sorry i had to rant. I still dont have a macbook yet.

2. TheFarmer macrumors 6502

Good lord.

3. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

I'd call the credit card company, cancel the payment, then call some sort of authority, as well as customer service for the company and complain for a good bit. That's at least $2400 that you were charged (seemingly on purpose, as you have to know that you closed a transaction), and there is no way that that should be allowed.

4. gjw4u macrumors 6502

Go back to the store & be rude to the manager? Might make you feel better.

5. hazedragon45 thread starter macrumors regular

I went back to complain. I did make a big deal out of it. How is it possible that a security check turns into a transaction - TWICE? They offered me $200 off the computer, but had no explanation for what they did, or why they had to make this phone call in the back room. Also i had to request for a different manager because this manager, who has apparently been working there for 6 years doesn't know how to properly address customers and it was really pissing me off. I was called "Yo man" all of yesterday and today as if i'm coming off a scene from Jersey Shore. I would think that he would have at least remembered my name since he had my card yesterday for a good 30 minutes.

6. hazedragon45 thread starter macrumors regular

yes, i probably had my card swiped in the back room. An employee from the Cell department came over to tell me how much of a douchebag this manager actually is and how everyone hates him. He suggested i cancel my credit card.

7. Pballer110 macrumors 6502

I would be really pissed and ask forabtter discount for all the trouble they putme through. I think $300 off would settle me down. Lol

8. Tears Apart macrumors 6502a

Tears Apart

All you know he could have cloned your CC in that time. You cancel the CC and ask for a better discount than 200$.

9. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

There might well be two "paid for" MBP's sitting in his house right now. Wouldn't be the first time someone did that in a retail store.

I'd agree with other posters, btw, and recommend you cancel the card immediately. Dunno about pressing for a bigger discount though, they're already possibly taking a hit giving you $200 off. I'd instead tell them you and all your friends would refuse to shop there until that manager was fired, and make sure that you get the information necessary to contact corporate and convey the same message there. That goes beyond shady, he's probably part of a criminal ring.

jW

10. pricej636 macrumors 6502

Maybe I'm not up on Canada law, but why aren't you dealing with the police instead of the store? If the guy did what you said, he stole a couple grand from you.

Also, they might be pre-authortizations and fall off. You might not be able to do anything until they either hit as actual charges or they fall off as pre-auths.

11. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Contact the credit card company and dispute the charges immediately if you have not already done so, and open a case.

Contact the corporate office of Futureshop and explain what happened in writing.

Contact the police department of the town in which the store is located and file a report. It may have been a mistake on the manager's part, but you want to build the best record possible if you have to contest it with your credit card company or anyone else.

I saw someone suggest suing them--you may not have a case yet. Let the company address what happened, and if you're not satisfied, contact a lawyer in your area who handles cases like that.

Good luck.

12. Mabyboi macrumors 6502

Mabyboi

I would go insane if this happened to me. Contact Futureshop Head office, and complain to them. Contact your credit card company and open a claim/cancel your card. And go to the local Police from your area and get them involved. Build up a HUGE case if futureshop home office tries to fight you. You want to be ready IN CASE you need to take them to court for some reason.

13. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I'm just impressed your credit card limit was able to hold 2 MBPs :p
    Mine would have denied the transaction for one, much less two

14. Gen macrumors 6502a

Gen

Most def cancel your credit card number and get a new one.

15. waynep macrumors 6502

Call the credit card co. and report the fraudulent charges. They should close that "account" and issue you new cards with new account numbers. I have been through this. Then I would do what the others suggested, file a police reports, contact their corporate offices. The get the MBP with a nice discount!

16. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Like others have said, step number 1 should be contacting your card company. Find out whether they're just temporary holds or real transactions.

If they're real transactions then dispute them. If there's a higher ranking person at that store then go to them, or possibly to the police.

Also as others have said get that card cancelled and have them send you a new one.

17. hazedragon45, Mar 20, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2011

hazedragon45 thread starter macrumors regular

18. trent0n macrumors newbie

so how'd it go?...what happend?

19. hazedragon45 thread starter macrumors regular

Edited my first post