Painfully Slow 4G?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Bowlerguy10, Sep 23, 2012.

1. Bowlerguy10 macrumors 6502

Hey all,

After a couple days with my iPhone 5 now on ATT, I have realized that the 4G in my area it would seem (Portsmouth, NH USA) is abysmally slow, as in slower than 3G ever was. I'm getting about 2 Mbps down and .70 to .90 Mbps up using the speedtest.net app. Does anyone have any idea what's going on here? Is anyone else experiencing something similar? Wishful thinking tells me that perhaps ATT is working on towers to roll out LTE, as I can get it by traveling just 4 or 5 miles to the west :rolleyes:. Maybe it's making its way here.

Thanks!

2. n2deep macrumors member

There are many areas in Houston that are the same or worse. I constantly complain to AT&T about the data speeds at my office. Gotta love AT&T!

3. Bowlerguy10 thread starter macrumors 6502

I really hope that it clears up over here, like I said 3G wasn't even this slow. I just attempted to find out more information through an ATT chat and was told that there is no 4G here despite their map clearly showing that there is and my phone also displaying a 4G icon. Their reps really know their stuff.

4. auero macrumors 65816

I just returned my AT&T model. Switching to Verizon. I have got TERRIBLE speeds since friday while friends have been using Verizon's LTE in the same location with no problems.

5. eye.surgeon macrumors 6502

The reps know their stuff, you don't. The 4G displayed on your iphone is not actual 4G the way most people think of 4G, it's AT&T's 3G as they have chosen to favorably interpret the definition of 4G to include their 3G network. When you get true 4G in your area, it will display LTE.