Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gary77

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 23, 2017
London England
I have a Series 2 watch and i was cleaning it this morning as i have done many times before and noticed what i thought was a dirt mark so cleaned and it didn't come off i have since discovered its a chip i'm not sure how this happened considering where the mark is i look after my watch well so this has annoyed me I'm not sure if this is something that happens overtime (wear and tear) or was unlucky to have this happen to me

I have AppleCare+ which expires at the end of this year so i'm not sure where i stand i'd like to get it fixed i'm curious if others have had this happen to them and what were there chances to get this sorted

I took a couple of photos showing the mark sorry for the poor quality

IMG_7651.JPG IMG_7652.JPG

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I have a Series 2 watch and i was cleaning it this morning as i have done many times before and noticed what i thought was a dirt mark so cleaned and it didn't come off i have since discovered its a chip i'm not sure how this happened considering where the mark is i look after my watch well so this has annoyed me I'm not sure if this is something that happens overtime (wear and tear) or was unlucky to have this happen to me

I have AppleCare+ which expires at the end of this year so i'm not sure where i stand i'd like to get it fixed i'm curious if others have had this happen to them and what were there chances to get this sorted

View attachment 763117 View attachment 763118

This can happen with the aluminum model with chipping, and it can continue to spread. There really isn’t much Apple can do to fix that, it would just have to be replaced. But it something I would look into, as once the anodized aluminum is Chipped, there is no real repair for this, unless you were to touch it up with paint of some sort. But I would definitely allow Apple to assess this first and see what their thoughts are if it’s defective or cosmetic damage.

Lennyvalentin

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2011
Since the mark is located in a basically 'invisible' place, you could try covering it over with a dab of transparent nail polish. Thus you secure the edges and prevent further damage to the anodization around the chipped spot.

You'd want to clean/degrease the area with pure isopropyl alcohol first, so that the nail polish can properly adhere to the case...

gary77

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 23, 2017
London England
This can happen with the aluminum model with chipping, and it can continue to spread. There really isn’t much Apple can do to fix that, it would just have to be replaced. But it something I would look into, as once the anodized aluminum is Chipped, there is no real repair for this, unless you were to touch it up with paint of some sort. But I would definitely allow Apple to assess this first and see what their thoughts are if it’s defective or cosmetic damage.

Did look online and can see the chipping can spread which i find surprising being an Apple product and all. I went to the Apple Store and i can get it taken care of via Applecare i'm happy to wait awhile longer as my converge doesn't expire till the end of the year.
[doublepost=1527373232][/doublepost]
Since the mark is located in a basically 'invisible' place, you could try covering it over with a dab of transparent nail polish. Thus you secure the edges and prevent further damage to the anodization around the chipped spot.

You'd want to clean/degrease the area with pure isopropyl alcohol first, so that the nail polish can properly adhere to the case...

That's what made me think it was just dirt i didn't expect it to chip i always look after my Apple products so was surprised to see this happen. I'll likely go down the Applecare route anyway my touching up the paint won't solve the problem if it's going to continue to spread anyway.

Reactions: Gimmick

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Did look online and can see the chipping can spread which i find surprising being an Apple product and all. I went to the Apple Store and i can get it taken care of via Applecare i'm happy to wait awhile longer as my converge doesn't expire till the end of the year.
[doublepost=1527373232][/doublepost]

That's what made me think it was just dirt i didn't expect it to chip i always look after my Apple products so was surprised to see this happen. I'll likely go down the Applecare route anyway my touching up the paint won't solve the problem if it's going to continue to spread anyway.

Yes, check with Apple first before you do anything with touching up paint or any other solution. Because once you apply paint to it, and Apple see’s that, they may make other assumptions that could complicate things. If Apple does not give you any options, then you can utilize the option of touching up with paint if you feel it’s necessary.

Last edited:

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
The chip will spread. It happened to my aluminum space gray S2, and the back just look horrendous as the paint chipped everywhere. Worse, the watch wasn't even used much. After spending a long call with a tech that keeps arguing with me, I finally got a replacement via express replacement (they sent me a new AW, I put my old one in the box, and sent the box back). Luckily I got Applecare+. At first, Apple was unwilling to do anything and argues that it is cosmetic and won't affect the function of the watch. So prepare to stand on your ground convincing Apple to replace it.

Chipping on the sides might make more sense (due to more risk being hit/banged around), but on the bottom part? Either Apple's anodizing process is crap, or something to do with the magnetic charger. Now I wipe the bottom of my AW clean using cloth/water/alcohol swab everytime I remove it. The replacement seems to be holding so far.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Yes, check with Apple first before you do anything with touching up paint or any other solution. Because once you apply paint to it, and Apple see’s that, they may make other assumptions that could complicate things. If Apple does not give you any options, then you can utilize the option of touching up with paint if you feel it’s necessary.

Something I else I want to note is where the chip is located, sweat is also corrorssive and can also further the issue. Definitely something I would not ignore.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.