Paint Peeling off Black iPhone 5

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bryanc28, May 7, 2013.

1. bryanc28 macrumors 6502

bryanc28

Well, it was bound to happen I guess. Had the phone less than two months. Top left corner of the front of the phone where the bezel is, is peeling off. It is a huge eye sore when staring directly at the phone- since the silver coming through shines in your eyes.

2. Paddle1 macrumors 68030

You could use a case.

3. JAT macrumors 603

Shines in your eyes?

You need to get over your electronics, man.

4. Ajones330 macrumors 6502a

Ajones330

It does suck, I have a vinyl wrap around mine and it helps some...

5. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

6. Ann P macrumors 68020

The edges of my brother's black iphone are wearing off. Similiar to the yellow-circled area in this photo. Does not look good at all, but he doesn't really care though. It's inevitable without a case.

[​IMG]

7. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

I just bought a super slim clear case for my white iPhone from Tesco for 4 quid. You hardly notice its there as it adds hardly any extra size to the phone and its as good as the day I received it. Any gadget will mark over time and I think we have to learn to accept that, especially if they are used daily. :)

8. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

1. That's not paint peeling.

2. My launch phone is pristine and I don't use a case. I look after it.

9. Fouracre44 macrumors regular

Its a phone with the back made out of aluminum. Did you not realise this before you bought the phone? This metal scratches very easily, sure it looks nice, but it's actually quite cheap ( though more expensive than plastic ) it's thin & bendable, better than glass for shock absorbency but zero in terms of scratch resistance.

Even the most careful anal people that I know who don't have a case on their phone, have completely scratched up iphones, at least with a little paint gone. Its the iphone this year guys, either put a case on it, screen protectors, or expect it :) if you don't have a few scratches, your not " incredibly careful " your just way too tight ass with your devices, it's just a phone, and though expensive, it's bound to happen with this phone and other expensive smart phones.

10. Italianblend macrumors 68000

Italianblend

I don't buy the whole "just use a case" argument. We pay a lot of money for these phones and expect a good product. It's 2013 and I think apple can figure out a way to get good paint on their device.

11. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I agree with the poster above who stated that this is not paint peeling.

This is a scratch, or a scuff. There are numerous threads about "Scuffgate" here. Whether you think it should be happening or not because of build quality or whatever, the fact is that this is not peeling.

From Merriam-Webster,

Peeling:
    1: to strip off an outer layer of <peel an orange>

2: to remove by stripping <peel the label off the can>

12. Mrg02d macrumors 65816

Not paint...poorly done anodizing. Apple doesn't know how to anodize aluminum.

13. John T macrumors 68020

John T

With respect, utter rubbish!

There is nothing wrong with the quality of anodizing on the iPhone. However, the chamfered machining around the front and rear edges removes the anodized surface which is subsequently treated with lacquer to protect the "naked" metal. It is this coating that can wear off, as illustrated in the OP's photos.

14. pnoyblazed macrumors 6502a

using a case defeats the purpose of Apple's marketing of having the phone thinner and lighter.. I see those ottorbox's and I can't help but notice how much of a brick it looks

15. archrider macrumors 6502a

archrider

i don't feel that using a case defeats the thinner and lighter concept. if you are a person that feels a case is needed to protect the finish, the thinner and lighter the phone gets, the thinner and lighter the combination gets. i have an iPhone 5 with an aluminum Element case. The combination is thinner and lighter than my iPhone 4 was without a case, and much thinner and lighter than the 4 with a similar case. Therefore the benefit of a thinner lighter phone isn't lost given the parameter that a case is necessary.

16. eyoungren, May 9, 2013
    Last edited: May 9, 2013

eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Many people using cases and particularly those who use this type of case (Otterbox) defend their decision based on the resale value of the phone when it comes time for their upgrade.

Fugly with resale value always seems to trump natural beauty because the only thing those people seem to own the phone for is iOS.

17. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

It is really a hit of miss with each particular phone. I had a launch day phone up util a month ago....zero nicks and zero flaws. Got a new iphone a few weeks after that and within 2 days the chamfer was flaking off. I used both phones the exact same.

I think it boils down to how well the anodizing process went with each batch.

18. Mrg02d macrumors 65816

Ok, well my anodized heatsinks in my junk box doesn't wear off...

19. AFDoc, May 9, 2013
    Last edited: May 9, 2013

AFDoc macrumors 68030

First of you don't paint aluminum. Second it is a good product but won't stand up to abuse. IF you don't protect your phone's finish with a case or sticker protection of some kind don't complain when the *anodized finish starts to wear off. Imagine you rubbed the same spot on your cars finish (even though it is painted) over and over and over and over again (much like you do with your phone when going in and out of pocket, setting it on a surface ect ect) how long do you think that spot would stay pristine? Yep, same with a phone's surface.

Apples and oranges. Industrial strength anodizing is made to last and goes deeper into the aluminum than is possible on the iPhone. Continually rub that part in the same area over and over again and it WILL wear off.

20. Italianblend macrumors 68000

Italianblend

Sorry but I'm not going to give into your notion that a phone needs a case. It's because of poor phone design that we have to use cases. Not me. My 4S has not scratched from me pulling it out of my pocket and you shouldn't automatically accept that the 5 should. You don't pay money for a phone design just to thicken and bulk it by throwing it in a case. If apple is so proud of their innovative design then give us a product that stands on its own, apart from dropping down concrete steps of course. A non-dropped/abused phone should retain its original likeness for a long time.

21. Mrg02d macrumors 65816

iPhone is meant to be handled and touched. So what was your point? Because you just made mine...

22. archrider macrumors 6502a

archrider

You just compared the iPhone 5 with the most indestructible phone I've ever used, in my case the 4. I can't think of a phone that could endure daily use as well. If you drop it hard on concrete there will be breakage. The in and out of the pocket, even with keys, it handled well. My point is treat the HTC One or Samsung GS4 or you name it, with normal daily care, it will show as much wear and tear as the iPhone 5, maybe more, in my opinion.

The HTC One is the same anodized aluminum. The Samsung is plastic. These materials don't stand up like gorilla glass and stainless steel. Who ever came up with that build really hit on a winner.

23. AFDoc macrumors 68030

My point is you're expectations are unrealistic, and I very clearly made it.

24. srsub3 macrumors 6502

srsub3

a case is for losers... I have a black iphone and color is going away from edges... far from me to use a case however... that plastic makes me feel my phone a cheap thing, not a premium electronics....

25. John T macrumors 68020

John T

Oh dear! Unlike the iPhone 5, heatsinks are anodized on all surfaces.