Painting a monitor?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by AppleFanaddict, Mar 16, 2014.

1. AppleFanaddict macrumors newbie

has anyone done this? i have a view sonic 17 inch flat screen monitor. I've had it for about 6 years. its not worth much but it still works. i want to paint it to match my powermac g5 it would look a lot like an apple cinema monitor. has anyone ever painted a plastic monitor? if so can i see some pics?

2. ctyrider macrumors 6502a

ctyrider

Sure you can try spray painting it with a silver paint.. I will promise you one thing though - it still won't look anything like Apple Cinema Display.

3. Lennyvalentin macrumors 6502a

Lennyvalentin

To safely paint a monitor you'd have to take it apart and remove the LCD panel first. Many plastic monitors are extremely cheaply built - I've seen several BenQ units where all the internal components were secured using TAPE rather than screws... Thus, opening it up you may not be able to (easily, and or accurately) put it back together again.

Caveat emptor, kind of. Except, you've already bought it. ;)

4. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

I've never spray painted a monitor, but have spray painted other plastic items. You can't use just any old spray paint on plastic....

I use this: http://www.krylon.com/products/fusion-for-plastic/

The recommendation of tearing apart the monitor is the best choice, but if not get some good painters tape.

Lots of light coats dangit!!!! Don't try to accomplish the paint job in 2-3, I recommend 5-6 light coats....

5. AppleFanaddict thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm really good with spray paint. I've successfully rustoleum painted a car. and it looked incredible. for about a year lol. but I'm no stranger to painting. and I'm good with disassembly. I'm not worried about that part. i just wanted to see if anyone had done this

6. ctyrider macrumors 6502a

ctyrider

I suspect that you're going to have a difficult time finding someone who spent time and money applying custom paint jobs to a junky old piece of hardware.

;)

7. AppleFanaddict thread starter macrumors newbie

mine is quiete a lot better than the one in the ebay ad but yes i cannot deny its not that nice but it gets the job done for the time being. i just want it to match the rest of my entire desk

8. California macrumors 68040

California

Years ago some Apple fan painted a Dell monitor Apple white I believe. (It might have been silver, can't recall, but he turned a Dell black monitor into looking sort of Apple ish)

He sanded and stripped and re lacquered it; in the end, it was a quite nice piece of work, repleat with Apple logo as i recall. It's got to be on the internet somewhere.

9. crjackson2134 macrumors 68020

crjackson2134

Even as a retired person, I'm not that bored. ;) Can't you just pick up a newer used Apple Monitor.

10. AppleFanaddict thread starter macrumors newbie

well a 5 dollar can of rustoleum and about half an hour later I've got a silver metallic monitor. and it actually looks excellent. thanks for the replays guys

11. triptolemus macrumors 6502

triptolemus

Pics or it didn't happen.

12. AppleFanaddict thread starter macrumors newbie

here are pic hopefully they show up

Attached Files:

13. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

IMHO - White would have looked better in that setting.

14. AppleFanaddict thread starter macrumors newbie

i think if the iPad wasn't docked and the g5 was more in the picture you would think otherwise. but yes next to the iPad it does make it look like white would have been a better choice. but my iPad spends 95 percent of its life undocked