Pair iPhone 4 and 3GS via Bluetooth?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by inselstudent, Oct 2, 2012.

1. inselstudent macrumors 6502a

Hi,
    I'm currently on holiday in Greece and bought myself a Greek prepaid card. Now I want to create a hotspot and share it via Bluetooth, which works fine with my iPad 3 but doesn't if my girlfriend tries to pair her 3GS with my 4.

I know that it works via Wifi anyway but since I only have a quite crappy data connection here anyway I wanted to use Bluetooth as I've read that saves battery.

I know it's not that important, but I'd like to know why I simply can't pair the two phones.

Thanks!

2. Mliii macrumors 65816

Mliii

That's funny because I was just writing about that in another thread. iPhone to iPhone transfers of data from one iPhone to another via Bluetooth isn't possible and it doesn't seem likely that Apple will add this functionality any time soon.
    Apple has deliberately limited the implementation of Bluetooth on the iPhone.
    My old, Motorola dumb-phones could transfer certain data through Bluetooth. Things like notes, address cards, photos, etc. Again, I'm not talking about music or videos here.
    Why an $800 smart phone isn't allowed to do that AND what the OP is trying to do when there are no technological reasons preventing it is astounding to me...