Pakistan in Peril (incl. assassination of Benazir Bhutto)

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by solvs, Nov 5, 2007.

1. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Pakistan in Peril

Pakistan Imposes Emergency Measures

Meanwhile, Pakistani Police Detain 500 Activists

Yet, U.S. Is Likely to Continue Aid to Pakistan, but U.S. to Review Aid to Pakistan.

2. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

3. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Funny thing is, it sure doesn't take long to round up a bunch of conservatives who'll wring their hands and wet their pants over Hugo Chavez and what a bad, evil man he is for usurping power and shutting down opposition dissent.

Yet nary a peep from these same people when the "elected" dictator of a nuclear-armed Pakistan does far, far worse.

I'm shocked I tell you, shocked.

4. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Indeed, Chavez, who Cheney appears to think is the President of Peru, was the first name which came to mind.

5. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Did anyone not see this coming?

And remember, it's Iran that's going to attack us. :rolleyes:

6. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Yeah, we're safe in downplaying the threat from Saudi Arabia and Pakistan, but watch out for Iran and Venezuala. They're both coming to get us, and threatening to wipe out civilization as we know it.

7. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Wonder how George Bush and other DC halfwits that have chummed with Musharref feel after hearing this news about their dictatorial friend.

Another dictatorship gone bad. Who could have predicted that?

8. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

fixed it...

9. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

I had not read that one, 'til tonight. I'll need to cease describing him as sinister since that implies intelligence albeit warped. He's a goose without a gandhi or mahatma. Sadly, so is Pakistani and neighboring leadership. Maybe George and Dick should go on a fast until they resolve the issue.

10. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

This might be a bit premature to ask, but those missiles can't reach the U.S. right?

11. solvs thread starter macrumors 603

solvs

Not directly. But they could reach where our troops are currently stationed. And the reason we want to go after Iran is because they might one day in the far future have knowledge of nuclear related technologies. Like NK, Pakistan already has nukes. So we're perfectly safe from them, as are our allies. :confused: Oh, and Bin Laden being there is ok too for some reason.

Wonder where our conservative brethren are to tell us why this is ok. Or at least has nothing to do with the Bush administration. It's probably all Clinton's fault somehow. Either Clinton.

12. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

Paging resident right-wing apologist Swarmlord...

Your absence in this thread is absolutely hilarious and not at all surprising.

13. solvs thread starter macrumors 603

solvs

I already said it was somehow Clinton's fault, though I didn't back it up with anything at all, so what more do you need?

14. solvs thread starter macrumors 603

solvs

15. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

What does my ideology have to do with what's happening in Pakistan? As usual, your attempts to draw me into an argument over some imagined difference in opinion is what is hilarious.

You expect me to say that Mushareff is a saint? That there's anything worth salvaging in that entire cesspool of a country? (And yes, I've been there so I've seen it first hand).

We just have to work with the positives either way it plays out. If Mushareff crushes his opposition, then we can continue to use him as a strongarm in the region against terror. In exchange for not interferring, we can force him to take some active measures against the tribes protecting Bin Laden.

If the country falls apart and/or assassinates Mushareff, we wait and see whether pro democracy forces or Islamic radicals take over and act accordingly.

Either way this goes hand in hand with what I've said all along. This whole thing is going to sweep the entire Middle Eastern region until fanatic Islam either wins or loses.

16. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

I just wish we weren't so keen on helping fanatic Islam win.

To wit: unlikable arrogance, torturing prisoners, restricting civil liberties, spying on ourselves, starting wars and oh yeah, propping up military dictators who abuse their populations because they're on "our" side.

17. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

If only making them happy worked in our favor though. We can either be the bad guys or the suckers.

18. solvs thread starter macrumors 603

solvs

You can't wait to comment on Chavez, even in threads that have nothing to do with him. This is your guy's buddy, we couldn't help but notice your absence and unusual silence. We're still giving them aid too BTW. Figured you'd want to complain about your tax dollars being wasted. Or is that only when we want to pay for sick kids' healthcare?

He hasn't done any of that yet, why would he start now?

Or we can stop putting our noses in everything all the time, like supporting people like this.

19. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

well, you're easily shocked it seems......it's just an example of balance in nature.....you leftists get to defend Chavez and the conservatives get stuck with defending Musharraf

20. solvs thread starter macrumors 603

solvs

I don't think anyone defended Chavez.

21. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

It's heating up to another crisis point there (Venezuela) as not only university students are protesting under threats, but yesterday Chavez called the alcaldes not to allow the students to protest.

And now today the former Minister of Defense, Baduel, the one who brought Chavez back to power after the coup, came out against the Reforma. He called the changes a "golpe de estado" a la constitucion and called his compañeros de armas to read the current constitution's declaration that military are to serve the pueblo and no political position.

22. takao macrumors 68040

takao

the difference is :
    pakistan has as only muslim country nuclear bombs, is also highly unstable, a breeding ground and center for terrorist camps, also the government there has been getting billions military aid for years now

obviously totally the same like venezuela

23. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I've never defended Chavez. I don't think he's anything to get too worked up about (ie he is not a significant threat to US interests, paticularly if handled properly), but I don't support his methods or ideology.

But considering (did you bother to follow the link I posted?) the harsh rhetoric reserved by some on these boards for those who suppress media outlets and detain political opponents, I would expect to see some outrage here.

And of course there isn't. It's seems like tacit approval to do the same things Chavez does when it's in pursuit of the GWOT.

24. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Funny that the lawyers are the ones leading the charge for change here...

25. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Skunk just posted that Chavez was working miracles down there in the Chavez thread.