Pakistan: On A Knife Edge

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by skunk, Apr 26, 2009.

1. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...ouple-dead-for-adultery-caught-on-camera.html

The NATO engagement in Afghanistan is messy enough already. If it becomes even more difficult to resupply by land, it's in real danger of failing completely. Besides which, the situation in Kashmir and the Pakistani nuclear arsenal are at risk. This could be terminal.

2. Burnsey macrumors 6502a

Absolutely sickening and disgusting. These people should all go to hell for the immense evil within them. Adultery is a crime but coldly murdering people is not? Despicable. Send in a few apache attack helicopters and make short work of these monsters.

Sorry this has made me extremely angry, I can go on but the words I need to use to describe this aren't allowed on this forum.

3. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Such is Sharia Law. Get used to it.

They make the Spanish Inquisition look like gardeners.

<updates will> :p

4. Burnsey macrumors 6502a

Sharia law has punishment for cold blooded murder as well. The Taliban have their own sick version of things.

5. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Then obviously they don't consider the execution of these miscreants as murder.

6. Burnsey macrumors 6502a

Of course they dont, they're the ones doing the execution.

7. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

They are writing the rules at the moment, thanks to a weak Pakistani government.

8. skunk thread starter macrumors G4

skunk

That was the whole point of the article. If the government falls, it will either be replaced by the Taleban or by another military dictatorship, probably a good deal less amenable than Musharraf's, and with the ISI still riddled with Taleban support it is highly questionable whether such a structure will last.

9. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

In it's own perverse way, this could be useful for exploitation by the United States.

The rise of the Taliban in Pakistan will lead to larger scale violence against India, especially along the border and in Kashmir. While India has worked with the US in Afghanistan, they have restrained from getting overly involved. Full scale Indian involvement in Pakistan will relieve some of the pressure that the US is dealing with in Afghanistan by forcing a two front war on the militants - I suspect it would play out in similar fashion to Hitler's incursion into the USSR during WWII.

Now, I must temper this post with several caveats. One, the rise of the Taliban in any shape is a bad thing and I certainly would rather see them quashed while the US deals with Afghanistan on its own than the carnage that would undoubtedly accompany the fall of Pakistan. Two, I have no interest in seeing WWIII or the holocaust that would follow the immediate acquisition a nuclear arsenal by a group what would be suicidal enough to use it. Three, the people I fear the most are the Apocalyptic religionists in the West and the East. You know who I'm talking about - the folks who look forward to embracing the end of the world, especially the nutcases here in the US. Four, maybe the Mayans were right.

10. Shivetya macrumors 65816

The wonderfully peaceful religion of Islam....

11. skunk thread starter macrumors G4

skunk

I hope you are not serious. That "incursion" cost several million lives. You would not dream of saying such a thing if the area in question was not several thousand miles and two continents away.

Can you please remind me which "Nation Under God" it was that invaded two sovereign states and cost the lives of several hundred thousand of their citizens? I don't remember the details, but I'm pretty sure they weren't Islamic.

12. barkmonster macrumors 68020

barkmonster

I'm with you on this.

Islam is like a kid in school finally getting the toy (concept of a monolithic god/heaven/angels etc...) that everyone else has being playing with all year (several millennia) then thinking they're the best for finally having one of their own.

When it dawns on them that everyone else doesn't care half as much as they do about them finally having it, they start picking fights with other kids, constantly saying they're toy is crap because it's older. Failing to realise they all have the same toy and it doesn't really matter, then trying to muscle in on everyone else's games just to spite everyone who doesn't think the same as they do because that's how children with a chip on their shoulder behave.

13. geese macrumors 6502a

geese

Well thats a mature, well considered take on one of the worlds largest and diverse religions! How perceptive!

14. barkmonster macrumors 68020

barkmonster

I'd say it's more of a gross oversimplification in the form of a school yard politics analogy by a sarcasm addicted atheist who lives by the "prove it, or shut up" rule.

They're basically the same mythology, that can't be denied and as far as "having the same toy and it not mattering", all "human beings" are the same biologically no matter what race/faith they are. There's being so much fighting over territory taken by followers of Islam because of the whole "Ours is the only TRUE version" mentality of the faith and that's lead to a massive amount of continual violence for the past 1,300 years or so. There's certainly no "love" in war is there?

15. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

why would adultery be a crime? are you kidding? you are less different from them than you think.

edit: i think i misread your post as per skunk's comment down below. My bad, sorry.

16. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Out of curiosity, why wasn't the guy with the whip in prayers? :confused:

Oh that would totally work. In fact, I'm surprised no intrepid military experts have thought of this before you. You must be the most brilliant military tactician since Alexander. :rolleyes:

17. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

While I agree that India and Pakistan should probably re-merge back into one country what you are proposing would also almost definitely lead to nuclear war.

What about Malaysia and Indonesia? Both of them are Islamic.

18. barkmonster macrumors 68020

barkmonster

nuclear war would NEVER break out so long as they have areas that are sacred. They wouldn't want to nuke Madina for instance.

Only AFTER the faith spread to the area from where it began. Look it up on wikipedia sometime

19. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I was thinking that the nuking would occur on large Indian and Pakistani cities like Mumbai, Delhi, Chennai, Lahore and Islamabad rather than distant targets in the middle east...

The extremist Muslims in the middle east actually came much more recently than the 13th-14th centuries when Islam spread to Malaysia/Indonesia.

I should also note that the Malaysia doesn't have legalised homosexuality (but Indonesia does) so they are extreme in that area of human rights.

20. barkmonster macrumors 68020

barkmonster

I was using that as an extreme example. I just meant, a group of people nuking an area they have so much reverence for, they're willing to fight over it leaves no area to fight over.

21. skunk thread starter macrumors G4

skunk

You omitted burnsey's implied quotation marks. In the Taleban's world, he is asking, how can adultery be a crime while cold-blooded murder is not.

No, I'm with geese: Islam as a whole has been responsible for far less violence and war than has Christianity, and in neither case is it at all sensible or useful to blame the religion for the actions of its practitioners.
    Remember, too, that if it had not been for Islam, we probably would not have had a Renaissance.

22. barkmonster macrumors 68020

barkmonster

And there I was thinking the best contribution Islam has had to society was my favourite take-away food :D

Of course I'm sure there MUST be an extremist group somewhere who think the madras is the only true food and all other forms of take-away are infidels who should burn in hell (or the oven)

23. djellison macrumors 68020

OBL said Allah be praised, then told some guys to fly planes into skycrapers.
    GWB said God Bless America then shock-and-awed his way into Iraq.

I'm not saying these two events are the same. I'm not saying that AT ALL.

But religion, of EVERY type, has been used as a justification/motivation for acts of violence.

Christianity is no less or more peaceful than any other religion, Islam included. One can cherry pick the Bible to find massively violent punishments stipulated for minor or even nonsensical transgressions. Ditto for the Qur'an.

Pointing at one diabolical abuse of a religion and claiming it to be typical of Islam is no more justified than for Christianity.

These actions are no more typical of Islam than the KKK is typical of Christianity

I don't pretend to be knowledgeable enough to understand the issues with the Middle East, nor intelligent enough to know how to solve them. I do, however, live in a city with a large Islamic population, and they are kind, polite, friendly people. Claiming Islam to be a religion of violence is simply wrong.