Pakistani President Pervez Musharraf resigns

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by solvs, Aug 18, 2008.

1. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080818/ap_on_re_as/pakistan
    Afghan gov't happy with Musharraf's resignation

2. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

If only we could be so lucky!

What happens next in Pakistan will be interesting to watch. The coalition that formed to defeat Musharref is likely to split along ideological lines and begin fighting amongst themselves in a struggle for power. Let's hope they keep control of their nukes...

3. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Well, it's nice to see somebody can force out a leader who violates the constitution.

At one time, we might have been able to accomplish the same thing. Maybe we're too far gone.

4. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I predict that a re-discovery of the limits of executive power, as well as a re-invigorated zeal for impeachment will occur shortly after Obama becomes president.

5. solvs thread starter macrumors 603

solvs

6. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Why would we, the media is about to cream itself in Denver for the week. Unless it is convention worthy it won't make the news.

The news cycle went from Olympics to Conventions.

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Pakistan is not exactly the stable family member, but I'm actually pretty minimally concerned about their nuclear weapons... the army is relatively strong in Pakistan, and I rather trust them on that front. What concerns me more is that, while I don't agree with how Musharraf obtained or retained power, he brought stability to the system and he was relatively less corrupt than predecessors, particularly Bhutto.

I don't know that much about Bhutto's husband, and I'm willing to reserve judgment, but I would be honestly quite shocked if that party forms a government that does anything good by the people of Pakistan, by India, or by anyone else in the world exclusive of themselves... while I think they do have some positive ideological bases, it has never before been in their nature to bring them to fruition, and I don't expect them to be able to resist their urges to corruption now either.