Pakistani social media celebrity Qandeel Baloch has been killed by her brother

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by deany, Jul 16, 2016.

1. deany, Jul 16, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2016

deany macrumors 68030

deany

2. impulse462 macrumors 68000

impulse462

Well stuff like that has been going on there for a while unfortunately

3. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

Honor killings are legal under sharia law... Over 1000 women a year are killed this way in Pakistan in the name of Allah and the Religion of Peace.

They are coming to a US city near you soon.

4. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

And people will run away anyway... apart from those in unifrom.

5. ChrisWB macrumors 6502

Right after martians land on the White House lawn.

6. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

7. cfedu macrumors 65816

cfedu

But but, not all muslims!!!

8. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

right thats why the GOP have been trying to pass anti sharia law laws before it swamps us.

9. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68040

Mac'nCheese

While trying to pass Christian law...I mean "religious freedom" laws.

10. crammedberry macrumors regular

It isn't all muslims, and demonizing an entire group of people only serves to drive them towards the extremists. There are protests inside Pakistan taking place over her death and the MAJORITY of muslims feel the same way and are completely against honor killings. The fact is, Sharia law is abhorrent and allows for inexcusable atrocities, no one is debating that. This however has more to do with weak men using religion to further their suppression of women. The answer to all this is reform from within. There needs to be a reform movement for Islam, similar to the reform movements the Christian church went through half a millennia ago. It's the only way to stop this, and they have to clean house themselves.

11. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

12. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

When people who do this in Muslim countries are arrested and tried for murder, I'll back off and quit blaming Islam. Until then, the religion is at fault, and anyone living in a country that tolerates this is at fault as well.

13. pooleman Suspended

pooleman

I don't agree with this at all. I'm a Christian. We get demonized and slandered and ridiculed all the time. It doesn't make us more likely to join some radical faction and start killing people. Only one religion seems to be doing that these days.

14. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

Christians do worse in Africa . Do you blame Christians as a whole?

15. crammedberry macrumors regular

I think you completely missed the part where I said Christianity went through a reform movement a few hundred years back. The Christianity we see in this day and age is eons away from what happened in the middle ages. Islam needs something like that, they are just a bit behind.

And this whole idea that Christians are demonized and slandered here in America is ridiculous. The majority of this country is Christian, you don't have hate crimes happening against Christians. You do however have extremist right wing groups here at home targeting muslims and beating up teens because everyone likes to paint all of them with a broad brush.

16. pooleman Suspended

pooleman

I've heard this before, perhaps from you. I'm not super savvy on this but I spent some time in the Congo building a hospital for a mission there. There were several groups of militias that would claim to be Christian just so they could get free food and sleeping quarters as they roamed from village to village. Generally, if you gave them something they were well behaved. But they were absolutely brutal to whomever they were fighting when they found them.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 17, 2016 ---
    List some examples of these extreme right groups doing this. I'd love to read about them. And Islam isn't "a bit behind". They are leagues behind. And I don't want to see more dead cops and more violence, raped woman, and decapited heads while we wait for them to "catch up".

17. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

That s not it http://www.catholic.org/news/international/africa/story.php?id=64851

18. crammedberry macrumors regular

Hate crimes happen all the time here in the US, you might just not be paying attention. Here's just ONE report that talks about some of the things that happen to these groups.

http://www.salon.com/2015/12/17/a_s...s_muslims_are_spiking_and_wheres_the_outrage/

19. pooleman Suspended

pooleman

20. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

Funny never seen a a religion do anything I see people who belive something do it. Always blame religion never blame the people doing it.

21. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

I love irony

22. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

Religion is like a gun. Sure it's the people that kill, but it's religion that makes it easier.

23. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

It's a little more than that. Killing in the name of religion means that you have God behind the action.

There are many good deeds done by religious people that can, and are, carried out by non-theists. Conversely, I can't think of a single evil action that can be properly 'justified' unless it's in the name of religion.

24. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

Love and rights to land, many find that justifiable, not in the name religion.

25. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

Have you heard of marriage?:eek: