Pakistanis Rally in Support of Blasphemy Law

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by appleguy123, Jan 1, 2011.

1. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

[​IMG]
    Free Source link (NYT one costs)

2. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Please, not another "Muslims are all terrorists out to take over the world" thread. :rolleyes:

3. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Where did you get that form the article? Why would they want this law on the books? More reason why we need a separate church and state.

4. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 603

appleguy123

I don't think that....
    I feel sorry for these people, I don't hate them.

5. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Especially the women, who seem to be very scarce in that image. :rolleyes:

6. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

7. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck... ;). But seriously. Where in the thread does it say that? He just posted a current event about something that's happening in a Muslim country, and leaving it open for discussion. Don't get your utopian panties in a bunch!

8. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 603

appleguy123

You need to be more tolerant! Islam is a religion of peace! (Please don't behead me)

9. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Yes, and I do sooo look forward to the intellectually stimulating discussion that will ensue.

*yawn*

Somebody please wake me up if by some accident one actually occurs.

10. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Well rather than throwing gas on the fire you could start a discussion.

11. citizenzen macrumors 65816

There isn't much to say. It is a shame.

But there is little or no Pakistani or Muslim representation in this forum, so at best all we can do is look from the outside and say what a demonstrable mistake it is to involve fundamentalist religion into politics. At worst we'll make broad and ill-informed assumptions about Muslim cultures and people.

I also take part in an interfaith forum that does have Muslim representation, including a Muslim woman, who don't see this in the same way we do. There is something to be said for being tolerant of different cultures and not expecting everybody to hold the same values or be on the same timeline as the west.

The only solution, IMHO, is to continue to openly and peacefully engage with these countries in the hope that over time they will become more liberal... much like Russia and China have over the past decades. Tolerance, openness and time... tolerance, openness and time. Those are what we need most when facing cultural issues like these.

(I wonder who will be the first person to ask if Hitler would have responded to "tolerance, openness and time". All I could suggest is that we went to war with Hitler... and if you think we need to go to war against Islam, then be my guest. I'll be home attending the local peace rally while your sons and daughters march off to slaughter.)

12. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Why kill people that don't want to practice the religion of choice. It really makes them look out of touch with the times. As for Hitler, we didn't go to war with him he started a war with everyone else.

We don't need to go to war with Islam, but Islam needs to learn to fit in.

13. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Separation of church and state for Islam does not make sense, it's a way of governance and a religion in one and is not meant to be separated.

14. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

This is so sad to me. Pakistan may well be on it's way to becoming the next Iran- not a good thing. This kind of garbage needs to stop. This is literally fairy tales being used to hurt people who refuse to believe in them. I'm sorry, it needs to be said, and it needs to end.

15. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 603

appleguy123

This is a joke, right? Take a look at the man in one of my other threads who is going to jail for throwing away a business card. Please tell me that this is a troll.

16. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I think you and he agree.

17. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 603

appleguy123

What? The person I quoted said that radical Islam should not be separated from government.

18. Burnsey macrumors 6502a

As the internet becomes more and more accessible and the world becomes more and more globalized and connected, most of these countries will become significantly more liberal, at least under the surface at a citizen level. I'd give it 10 years or so.

19. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

No- what he meant was that Islam and government seem to go hand in hand in many countries. He was not saying it should be that way, but that in many cases it IS that way.

20. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

That is why these countries have never evolved in the past 1000 years. Until this changes the extremists will run the asylum. To let religion control how the government operates without any rational thinking will always lead to failure.

21. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

That's adorable that you truly believe that, really cute, but so incredibly naive.

22. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Not really. Antagonizing them has made it far worse.

23. citizenzen macrumors 65816

He thinks I'm adorable. :p

But seriously Orbs, if you don't like patience, openness and engagement, what's your solution?

24. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

At least Iran is stable.

25. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

That might be an improvement.