Palestine disappeared because they did not control their own borders

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by aaronvan, May 25, 2016.

1. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

This pro-Zionist poster is pretty clear: Israel must grow though mass immigration if it will survive. I suspect Palestinians look back today and think, "Gee, I wish that we had controlled their own borders."

DlsDHdF.jpg

2. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

The irony of you citing the creation of Israel as a failure to protect borders given that the US and other countries turned away Jewish refugees that ultimately died at the hands of the Nazis....

3. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    ...while Jewish Chewbacca keeps an ever vigilant eye over the safety of his new people.

4. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Chewbacca just got a bunch of Kohls gift cards and she looked Caucasian to me

5. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

That's Texas Chewbacca, not Jewish Chewbacca.

6. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

That's not even close to being ironic.

7. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

That's the problem with refugees. When you turn them away, they don't always go back home.

8. bent christian Suspended

bent christian

How was Palestine ever realistically able to protect itself from occupation backed by a world superpower?

9. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Palestinians would probably also have enjoyed being a nation-state, not being held under the Ottoman Empire, and not being carved up in promises made by British.

On the surface, it looks like an appreciable analogy for immigration in the U.S., but it remains only similar at the very most surface.

And, I'm a little worried about your sourcing. The last time I saw this argument made, it was from an anti-immigrant group with strong connections to the white power movement.

10. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

I think he meant that your stance on war refugees is to send them all back to where they came from.
    Regarding the opening post, I still don't understand it.

11. bent christian Suspended

bent christian

Comparing illegal immigration to armed occupation is in no way a close analogy.

What we have here is a logical fallacy that makes no sense in the context of the thread title.

12. Robisan macrumors 6502

This thread premise belongs in the "The Stupid, It Burns" hall of fame. Multiple layers of astounding ignorance.

13. TheHateMachine macrumors 6502a

TheHateMachine

Shwaaaaaaaargggggh'lom.

14. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

What "armed occupation?" The West Bank isn't on the map. Weak strawman, man.

15. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Don't forget the Europeans' roles - that's 'superpowers' plural. This mess was largely created by Europeans.

16. Meister Suspended

Meister

That wasn't his premise.
    The point is that if you don't have borders you don't have a nation.

17. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

Ah yes, it's Palestinians fault for not being able to withstand a more wealthy powerful aggressive nation. It's almost like blaming the victim.

18. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

What "powerful aggressive nation?" Israel fought the Arabs alone in '48. They won in part because of an influx of highly-motivated Jewish immigrants willing to usurp the occupants and make the land their own. And they did it without the Palestinian elites opening the gates.

19. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

Ah so you're saying they haven't extended their borders since '48? I guess all that land grab since then and now has all been a conspiracy.

20. sim667, May 26, 2016
    Last edited: May 26, 2016

sim667 macrumors 65816

You do realise that Palestine was under the administration of Britain at the time time of the creation of Israel, and that Palestinian borders were controlled by the British, thus the creation of Israel has nothing to do with Palestinians choosing not to control their own borders, they were unable to control their own borders.

The region was divided up into administration areas by the Sykes-Picot agreement, when Palestine was put under the administration of GB.

Your ability to ignore large chunks of history still astounds me when you've made a rhetoric to suit your agenda.

21. bent christian Suspended

bent christian

Very true.

22. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

My point exactly. I'm glad somebody gets it.

23. sim667 macrumors 65816

Ah yes, the misleading quote tactic. Simply reserved for when arguments are futile.

24. Ulenspiegel, May 26, 2016
    Last edited: May 26, 2016

Ulenspiegel macrumors 68020

Ulenspiegel

No, aaronvan meant that Israel was not a "powerful aggressive nation" in 1948. It was pretty clear from his words. And yes, it was Transjordan, Egypt, Syria and Iraq who sent expeditionary forces that attacked the Israeli army.

The British Mandate for Palestine ended on 14 May 1948 at midnight. The State of Israel was established on termination of the British Mandate, i.e. on 15 My 1948. The First Arab-Israeli War started on 15 May 1948 when the invading forces of four Arab nations entered Palestine, took control of the Arab areas and immediately attacked Israeli forces and several Jewish settlements. That is what happened "at the time" mentioned and meant by aaronvan.

25. sim667 macrumors 65816

And is an ongoing conflict that has never been resolved.