Palin 2012?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Oct 12, 2008.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

If you watch as much political news as I do, sooner or later you'll come across someone reporting about how some Republicans want to run Sarah Palin in 2012. Yes, for president.

Don't gag, read on.

If you're having trouble believing that, just google "palin 2012"; you'll find a number of speculative articles. And of course, that's all that can exist at this time...speculative articles.

I'd be interested in other people's takes on whether this is likely. I personally would have thought that she's such damaged goods by this time that it's highly unlikely.

But the right wingnuts don't think like the rest of us. They may just be crazy enough to try it. Don't forget, a lot of them were never fully on-board with McCain, because he's not theocratic enough for them.

And Palin herself doesn't seem bright enough to take a hint and realize that she's already a laughing stock.

The more I think about it, the more I think she'll try and run for it.

2. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I think history is against her on that one. IIRC, the only losing vice presidential candidate in the past 50 years or so to come back and win the party's nomination on a presidential run is Bob Dole (1976), and we see how well that worked out for him.

3. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Theres mayb 20 educated people in the country that honestly beleive that woman is qualified for the presidency.

4. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Sadly, I think about 19 of them live in my neighborhood. My Obama/Biden yard sign is one of the very few in this area

5. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

I suspect these articles/websites are plants by the McCain campaign and operatives to make Palin seem like a plausible VP candidate in 2008, and have nothing to do 2012.

There is absolutely no way that she would win a Republican nomination.

6. RacerX macrumors 65832

This was already being discussed here.

There is no reason to start a new thread. ;)

7. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

8. wadejc85 macrumors 6502

That thread is about Palin's book burning... er.... banning.

She may try to run, but (hopefully) no one will actually stand behind her. Palin has many problems, McCain has many problems, and the McCain campaign has many problems. Getting past these will be a hurdle.

She may try to run, but I doubt she'd get the ticket.

9. RacerX macrumors 65832

Maybe this is a better one... Thomas Veil will most likely ask to merge all three topics now, but the idea is not new and has been discussed in other threads (even if the titles aren't similar). :eek:

10. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Get over yourself. The thread you created and then had a tiff with Thomas Veil and myself over was IDENTICAL to an already active thread, excluding only the title.

11. RacerX macrumors 65832

Really?

Strange, I was looking at the discussion in the merged thread, and I don't see you guys still talking about the Minnesota rally (or the people involved), or the Coleman/Franken senate battle... were you going to expand on those topics for us in that thread?

And if you wish to keep attacking me, that is fine too... I've never had a problem with you before. You seem to think you need to be involved, so maybe you should get over yourself. Or not... at least your not calling me a godless heathen. :D

12. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

The very notion of it is preposterous. Aside of the rabid wing of the base, she has no other support. Even the conservative media have turned on her. She'll go back to Alaska and be merely a footnote in US political history.

13. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

If RacerX is gonna follow me from one thread to the other acting pouty and childish because he didn't get his way, that's between him and the mods. I don't want to play his game anymore. He can play with himself.

yg, I share your distaste for all the McCain-Palin signs.

When I was on my way to vote here in Ohio, I passed a storefront with a large sign in front that said DEMOCRATS. After my wife and I voted, we circled back to see if this was what we suspected, the county's Dem headquarters. It was.

I asked for an Obama yard sign but was told that they had quickly run through the supply that they had. They were expecting more and were taking names and phone numbers so they could call us when they arrived.

So yeah, I go through parts of my town and see nothing but McCain-Palin signs. It's frustrating but, I trust, temporary. I hope the same applies to your area.

14. yoppie macrumors 6502a

I don't think so. If (some say when...) McCain/Palin lose this election, Palin will have to go home and deal with all the mess she caused in Alaska. There are multiple "gates" involving her still yet to be investigated.

Palin is being protected by McCain's people right now because she's the VP candidate but should they lose, those same people will not give two bits about her. She (and First Dude) will have to answer to the charges.

This is her ONE shot.

15. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

I think you are exactly right. However, I think, assuming they lose, that her association with this ticket would be enough to exclude her from any future white house bid.

16. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

The only other name I keep seeing pop up for the GOP for 2012 is Romney. Personally, I think he's much more likely.

17. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

My question would be, if McCain does get into the white house, would he seek a second term or hand over the reins? That's really the only situation I see where Palin could be considered a viable candidate for the presidency.

18. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

So make a separate thread about the Coleman/Franken senate battle. But the other topic you were discussing (out of control crowds at McCain/Palin rallies) was already being discussed. Yes, you're right, the other thread wasn't about MN rallies in particular, but it was the exact same thing otherwise. You could have gone into that thread and shared your local experience, and it would have been entirely on topic.

So as someone that wasn't involved in anything before, please, just let it drop. It's going to get awfully annoying if you keep going into every thread Thomas makes, trying to get it merged with any topic that even uses the same words in any of the posts.

Now, for some on topic discussion:

I don't think Palin stands a chance of the parties nomination in 2012, at least how things stand right now. She is generally despised and most people know she is a complete idiot. Now, if she were to go back to Alaska, stop pallin' around with secessionists, and brush up on her vocabulary, I could see the Republicans nominating her, but still no way she could win a general election after losing her credibility this time around (however minimal her credibility was).

19. RacerX macrumors 65832

And the people who were at that rally? That thread already existed.

I started a thread, Minnesotans joined in and the discussion was going in that direction. The discussion in the merged thread isn't there now, so what was the point of merging different discussion (other than to kill off one).

So no, I'm not going to be starting any new threads.

You aren't showing me the door are you? :eek:

I just think we should all live up to your new standards, that is all.

20. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Not if she has to try to out-crazy Bobby Jindhal...

21. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I have to admit, I really didn't know anything about Jindhal until you mentioned him, mactastic, which inspired me to look him up in Wiki.

Oh, that guy's a real winner. :rolleyes:

So yeah, he could try to run if he's considered one of their "bright, rising stars" (oh, brother). And he and Palin and a number of others may make some noise in the primaries.

But doesn't anyone else feel that the neo-conservative brand is pretty tarnished by now? The power of the religious right has been diminishing, more rapidly than even we could have hoped or expected. I really don't know if someone who's an ultra-conservative on "family issues" can make it to the nomination any more. And as for ultra-conservative economics? Forget it.

22. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Jindal is too brown for the rabid white wing base, plus his real first name is Piyush. Piyush Jindal sounds exotic and foreign, almost kinda terroristy, like Barack Hussein Obama. Not to mention he was once a Hindu who has since converted to Christianity. Almost sounds like the crap the right makes up about Obama, except it's true. :rolleyes: (Not that Hinduism is a bad thing, but you know these neocons....If it ain't Jesus, you ain't American)

23. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

Ugh.

If Palin had any brains at all, she'd return to Alaska and never step foot into the public eye again. IMO, Palin has ruined the chances of another female running for VP or president. She has damaged the reputation of women representatives all across the nation. She insults the intelligence of women.

24. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

You are forgetting something. IOKIYAR.

25. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

So you are saying this was all Obama's idea, a way to screw Hillary.:p