Palin Crossed Border For Canadian Health Care

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Teh Don Ditty, Mar 9, 2010.

1. Teh Don Ditty macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/0..._n_490080.html - Quoted Article

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...h-albertans-in-calgary-speech/article1492634/ - Original Link

:rolleyes:

Why does this not surprise me?

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Did she cross the border of her own free will as a decision making adult or did her parents take her across the border as a child?

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

That was my question
    And the second URL doesn't work for me

4. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

"And I think now, isn't that ironic?"

No, you moron. It's called hypocrisy.

5. Teh Don Ditty thread starter macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

Fixed that URL.

Twas a poor copy and paste job on my part.

6. WestonHarvey1 macrumors 68020

7. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Thanks TDD, I wanted to see the original article

From the context, it looks like she was taken there during her childhood, which to me, makes it more a non-story and does make it ironic and not hypocritical

8. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

That is ironic.

Although I am not a fan of Palin. If she went there as a child where she didn't have a choice and know of all this politics, it would not by hypocrisy.
    :eek:

But we already know the Canadian system does work.

If all these naysayers just lost their current employer coverage and couldn't get a private one, they would all be standing in line for it (no pun intended). We all bitch and moan about how this is going to impact our access, when we just have to speak to a single person who cannot get coverage to know their fear and understand how mucked up our system is.

It is not about lack of excellent care, it is about the lack of access to excellent care if you fall through the cracks, which more and more Americans are finding themselves into.

/rant

Now it would be funny if she revealed she is Canadian and entered Alaska illegally. :p

9. IntheNet macrumors regular

IntheNet

More refreshing honesty from Governor Palin; that she used medical care in Whitehorse, the capital of Canada's Yukon Territory, decades ago when she was five! "Palin's father said Monday they had little choice, given their location in Skagway".

Wow!

Yeah I too recall crossing borders long ago for cheap prescriptions in Quebec ('bout half the price of US meds as I recall)... does that make me and Palin as hypocrites for now criticizing the Democrats with their proposed U.S. government takeover of our health insurance? No. It makes us honest enough to admit that at times we appreciate freedom. Look here...The premier of Canada's east coast province undergoing heart surgery in the United States! I'm sure you'll promptly likewise post on that condemning Canada Care!!!

10. WestonHarvey1 macrumors 68020

11. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Actually, she may not have traveled to Canada for healthcare because she told an alternate version of the same incident with her brother's burned foot where she took a ferry to Juneau.

So, either her brother is a hillbilly dumbass who didn't learn the first time he burned his foot by doing something stupid so he did it again and she is talking about two separate incidents, or she's a lying, pandering ****. I know the Heath family genepool has probably been damaged by generations of inbreeding as clearly evidenced in Sarah, but given her past history, I'm going with the latter.

12. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

The difference being Williams is paying top dollar for his healthcare (in the bizarre belief the more you pay the better the care),you and Palins family on the other hand were ripping off Canadian taxpayers.

13. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

Wow, no personal attacks there! :eek:

14. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

How did they rip off Canadian taxpayers if they paid their bill? Link to article cited above

15. WestonHarvey1 macrumors 68020

No, Williams paid top dollar for his healthcare in the bizarre belief that not having your sternum broken in a heart procedure is better than having it broken. The high-tech procedure he wanted is simply not available in Canada, which is one of the disadvantages of socialized medicine.

16. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Sorry, I am just sick and tired of her lying every time she opens her mouth and getting away with it. If Obama or any other Democrat had done that, the right wingers would be all over it.

17. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

LOL. Can you just stop. Please.

18. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Why? She was caught in a blatant lie.

19. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Because as Canada has a National Health service which buys drugs in bulk and can force pharmaceuticals to operate in a freeish market and which is funded by the Canadian taxpayer those that buy from the U.S. are exploiting the situation. Siting the U.S. healthcare system as the best in the world whilst purchasing drugs from a country which is willing to stand up to the private healthcare industry is the height of hypocrisy.

Would you care to provide information on this hi-tech procedure which no other country in the world can provide.

20. IntheNet macrumors regular

IntheNet

She. Told. The. Truth.

21. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

No she didn't, unless her brother burnt his foot twice...

22. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

In 2007, the story was her brother burned his foot and they went to Juneau. In 2010, the story was her brother burned his foot and they went to Whitehorse. How the **** can you possibly say she told the truth? She lied about one of the instances, or maybe even both of the instances, perhaps they went to neither Whitehorse or Juneau, or maybe he never even burned his foot. But no matter what happened, She. Told. A. Lie.

23. IntheNet macrumors regular

IntheNet

Source?

24. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

He probably didn't burn his foot twice, so she lied.

25. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Nothing to do with the socialization of medicine. Everything to do with a country 10 times smaller than the US. He was offered an "equivalent" free procedure but opted to have it done at a time and place of his choosing. One of the perks of being wealthy. I doubt that most HMOs would grant people such leeway in a fully privatized system.