Palin Crossed Border For Canadian Health Care

Teh Don Ditty

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jan 15, 2007
Maryland
Huffington Post said:
Former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin -- who has gone to great lengths to hype the supposed dangers of a big government takeover of American health care -- admitted over the weekend that she used to get her treatment in Canada's single-payer system.

"We used to hustle over the border for health care we received in Canada," Palin said in her first Canadian appearance since stepping down as governor of Alaska. "And I think now, isn't that ironic?"

The irony, one guesses, is that Palin now views Canada's health care system as revolting: with its government-run administration and 'death-panel'-like rationing. Clearly, however, she and her family once found it more alluring than, at the very least, the coverage available in rural Alaska. Up to the age of six, Palin lived in a remote town near the closest Canadian city, Whitehorse.

Officials at several hospitals in that area declined to give out information on patient visits.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/0..._n_490080.html - Quoted Article

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/sarah-palin-sees-eye-to-eye-with-albertans-in-calgary-speech/article1492634/ - Original Link

:rolleyes:

Why does this not surprise me?

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
London
Did she cross the border of her own free will as a decision making adult or did her parents take her across the border as a child?

WestonHarvey1

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2007

iShater

macrumors 604
Aug 13, 2002
Chicagoland
That is ironic.

Although I am not a fan of Palin. If she went there as a child where she didn't have a choice and know of all this politics, it would not by hypocrisy.
:eek:

But we already know the Canadian system does work.

If all these naysayers just lost their current employer coverage and couldn't get a private one, they would all be standing in line for it (no pun intended). We all bitch and moan about how this is going to impact our access, when we just have to speak to a single person who cannot get coverage to know their fear and understand how mucked up our system is.

It is not about lack of excellent care, it is about the lack of access to excellent care if you fall through the cracks, which more and more Americans are finding themselves into.

/rant

Now it would be funny if she revealed she is Canadian and entered Alaska illegally. :p

IntheNet

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2009
Palin Crossed Border For Canadian Health Care
More refreshing honesty from Governor Palin; that she used medical care in Whitehorse, the capital of Canada's Yukon Territory, decades ago when she was five! "Palin's father said Monday they had little choice, given their location in Skagway".

Wow!

Yeah I too recall crossing borders long ago for cheap prescriptions in Quebec ('bout half the price of US meds as I recall)... does that make me and Palin as hypocrites for now criticizing the Democrats with their proposed U.S. government takeover of our health insurance? No. It makes us honest enough to admit that at times we appreciate freedom. Look here...The premier of Canada's east coast province undergoing heart surgery in the United States! I'm sure you'll promptly likewise post on that condemning Canada Care!!!

yg17

macrumors G5
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Actually, she may not have traveled to Canada for healthcare because she told an alternate version of the same incident with her brother's burned foot where she took a ferry to Juneau.

So, either her brother is a hillbilly dumbass who didn't learn the first time he burned his foot by doing something stupid so he did it again and she is talking about two separate incidents, or she's a lying, pandering ****. I know the Heath family genepool has probably been damaged by generations of inbreeding as clearly evidenced in Sarah, but given her past history, I'm going with the latter.

Peterkro

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2004
Communard de Londres,Tiocfaidh ár lá
More refreshing honesty from Governor Palin; that she used medical care in Whitehorse, the capital of Canada's Yukon Territory, decades ago when she was five! "Palin's father said Monday they had little choice, given their location in Skagway".

Wow!

Yeah I too recall crossing borders long ago for cheap prescriptions in Quebec ('bout half the price of US meds as I recall)... does that make me and Palin as hypocrites for now criticizing the Democrats with their proposed U.S. government takeover of our health insurance? No. It makes us honest enough to admit that at times we appreciate freedom. Look here...The premier of Canada's east coast province undergoing heart surgery in the United States! I'm sure you'll promptly likewise post on that condemning Canada Care!!!
The difference being Williams is paying top dollar for his healthcare (in the bizarre belief the more you pay the better the care),you and Palins family on the other hand were ripping off Canadian taxpayers.

iShater

macrumors 604
Aug 13, 2002
Chicagoland
Actually, she may not have traveled to Canada for healthcare because she told an alternate version of the same incident with her brother's burned foot where she took a ferry to Juneau.

So, either her brother is a hillbilly dumbass who didn't learn the first time he burned his foot by doing something stupid so he did it again and she is talking about two separate incidents, or she's a lying, pandering ****. I know the Heath family genepool has probably been damaged by generations of inbreeding as clearly evidenced in Sarah, but given her past history, I'm going with the latter.
Wow, no personal attacks there! :eek:

MacDawg

macrumors Core
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
The difference being Williams is paying top dollar for his healthcare (in the bizarre belief the more you pay the better the care),you and Palins family on the other hand were ripping off Canadian taxpayers.
How did they rip off Canadian taxpayers if they paid their bill? Link to article cited above

"We much preferred to use our facilities because my insurance didn't cover anything in Whitehorse. And even though they have socialized medicine, I still had to pay the bill, being an American citizen," Heath said.

WestonHarvey1

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2007
No, Williams paid top dollar for his healthcare in the bizarre belief that not having your sternum broken in a heart procedure is better than having it broken. The high-tech procedure he wanted is simply not available in Canada, which is one of the disadvantages of socialized medicine.

obeygiant

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
totally cool

LOL. Can you just stop. Please.

Peterkro

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2004
Communard de Londres,Tiocfaidh ár lá
How did they rip off Canadian taxpayers if they paid their bill? Link to article cited above
Because as Canada has a National Health service which buys drugs in bulk and can force pharmaceuticals to operate in a freeish market and which is funded by the Canadian taxpayer those that buy from the U.S. are exploiting the situation. Siting the U.S. healthcare system as the best in the world whilst purchasing drugs from a country which is willing to stand up to the private healthcare industry is the height of hypocrisy.

No, Williams paid top dollar for his healthcare in the bizarre belief that not having your sternum broken in a heart procedure is better than having it broken. The high-tech procedure he wanted is simply not available in Canada, which is one of the disadvantages of socialized medicine.
Would you care to provide information on this hi-tech procedure which no other country in the world can provide.

yg17

macrumors G5
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
She. Told. The. Truth.
In 2007, the story was her brother burned his foot and they went to Juneau. In 2010, the story was her brother burned his foot and they went to Whitehorse. How the **** can you possibly say she told the truth? She lied about one of the instances, or maybe even both of the instances, perhaps they went to neither Whitehorse or Juneau, or maybe he never even burned his foot. But no matter what happened, She. Told. A. Lie.

flopticalcube

macrumors G4
Nothing to do with the socialization of medicine. Everything to do with a country 10 times smaller than the US. He was offered an "equivalent" free procedure but opted to have it done at a time and place of his choosing. One of the perks of being wealthy. I doubt that most HMOs would grant people such leeway in a fully privatized system.