Palin demands $15m to search her own emails

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by chilipie, Oct 18, 2008.

1. chilipie macrumors 6502a

chilipie

Via El Reg

2. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

It's cos she's a Maverick, don't cha know, you betcha, doggone it!

3. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

She's not demanding an entry fee... she's just saying it'll cost money due to having to pay people to do it:

Although if you just got straight hours to cost that's about $73/hr those people are making. Sign me up!

4. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Jesus. At first I assumed you were wrong, but you're right!

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5j6yWkxgKERadE_khAm5O4ke8qmEAD93SGKRG0

Now, realistically that probably includes all loaded fringe benefits such as health, pension, etc., but still. I assumed they were talking about the cost of hiring contractors.

5. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

and yet another example of why the press is worthless and stop caring about the truth.

When you crunch the numbers the 15mil is a accurate number. But the press makes it seem like she (palin) wants 15 mil to allow people to search her email.....

6. jplan2008 macrumors regular

Except they're charging the same amount to multiple sources who asked for the same thing. And they're charging each entity the time to transfer the information from various back-ups, etc. That only needs to be done once. They've already admitted they just threw the numbers together in terms of the estimates.

And part of the reason it will take extra time is because all the employees mixed work and personal emails. So for Palin's two Yahoo accounts, for example, they have to redact all the personal emails. That's included in the time. There isn't much "freedom" of information if that information costs $15 million.

7. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Tell you guys what. For a mere one million I'll let you read my emails.:D

8. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

I don't understand the critique on the media, they crunched the numbers and found the number accurate, but indicative of a less than transparent government because this amount will be charged to the entities that request it. So, only the press could afford the information that should be available to anyone in the state. Or a determined hacker.

What's especially odd about this is the FOIA requires the Federal government to provide documents with a reasonable charge. And, 15 Million is not a reasonable charge.