Palin Explains What Parts Of Country Not "Pro-America"

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by rdowns, Oct 17, 2008.

1. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Link

How nice. Just when you thought she couldn't say anything more stupid...

I am shocked, not only do I not live in the real America, I live in an anti-American area. Who knew?

2. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

3. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

What's shocking is how much people care what she says and then to get "upset" about it and then also to make the effort to paste the story here when everyone has already seen it on huffpo. Shocking indeed. :)

4. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

That's not shocking at all. It's common sense for people to care a lot about what the potential vice president/president says. Especially so close to the election.

5. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

So, wait a minute... I am from a very small town, but am currently living in the greater Los Angeles area, so what I am??? :eek:

This woman just needs to shut up... I was arguing with someone the other day who said an Obama presidency would be "scary," then I look at the crap that comes out of this woman's mouth and all I can do is chuckle nervously. :eek:

6. jplan2008 macrumors regular

Yeah, why would anyone care what she says? John McCain is young, never had cancer, is in perfect health, doesn't take any medications, and released all his medical records for an intensive review by any physician interested. No president has ever died in office by any cause. Or something like that. So why worry about a simple thing like the VP candidate? Must be the 'gotcha media.

7. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Sort of like Congressman Murtha saying that parts of Pennsylvania are racist.

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D93R4AS82&show_article=1

8. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

I have a feeling she wont have to worry about living in Washington anytime soon.:cool:

9. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Yeah, I guess the only difference is that Murtha was held accountable for his remarks. You know, the public apology and all...

10. jplan2008 macrumors regular

Also, those were her back-tracking statements, to make up for this report:
    http://voices.washingtonpost.com/the-trail/2008/10/17/to_avoid_being_depressed_palin.html?hpid=topnews
    Palin also made a point of mentioning that she loved to visit the "pro-America" areas of the country, of which North Carolina is one. No word on which states she views as unpatriotic.

All candidates say stupid and insensitive things. You can certainly find plenty of Joe Biden gaffes. But this was in a speech, not an interview, and it was specifically to try to backtrack from the previous day's comments. And this is the person who has represented herself as representing the "average Joe," and has said something about Alaska being the microcosm of America. So it is interesting, but not astonishing, to hear what she thinks is average America, or the America she's representing. We already knew that many of her ideas are the ideas of a very small minority, and now we know that she literally means a fairly small minority of the country.

11. mark! macrumors 65816

mark!

Even though I am very far left as far as politics go, this site makes me feel dirty because of how incredibly biased it is. Am I missing something?

12. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Sounds like 8 years of Bush your missing.

13. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Well, Biden called her on it.
    Well, of course. Heaven knows you didn't see any kindness and goodness and courage on the part of people in those big cities, like New York...on September 11, 2001.

Anyway. Onward.
    As opposed to semi-pro America?
    Uh...that's not what you said earlier, Sarah.

Is that anywhere near Wasilla? Sorry...
    Okay, but you almost launched into the Pledge of Allegiance there, Joe. Bear down. :D

14. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I believe we're still using the term "non enemy combatant." :eek:

This reminds me of course of the best eight-year-old's joke EVAR...

Before you go to the bathroom, you're American.
    After you go to the bathroom, you're American.
    But what are you while you're in the bathroom?
    European!

:D

15. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Darn you anti-Americans and your slander! :mad:

:D

16. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

LOL as I live two blocks from the Obamas, I'm guessing that puts me in the part of American that hates America, anyways. :p

17. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Oy vey! I believe that makes you a ter'rist too!!!! :eek:

18. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

My snark-o-meter seems to be in overload...

At the risk of being put in a spot to defend the likes of Sarah Palin, someone whom I don't support for Vice-President, it seems necessary to defend her as a human being. The above quote does not imply which areas are not "pro-america" rather its lifting up her present company in speaking to the crowd. No sane person would assume you hate every other food if you declare that you like steak. The thread title copied from huffpo reveals just what type of belief window that site views the world through - the "never mind what someone meant to spin what they said" mentality. This modus operandi has obviously trickled down into the minds of hundreds of thousands of bloggers and internet users worldwide. The political paparazzi, as it were, to hang on every single word someone says until they make a mistake or says something that could be spun, all to sell advertising based on clicks.

For a second there I forgot you were British.

19. jplan2008 macrumors regular

Again, the only reason this is worth an article in HuffPo and a thread here is in the context: she calls Obama un-American; guilt-by-association; there are racist overtones to the campaign, and she calls Alaska a microcosm of America (much smaller Latino and African-American populations than the average); there are reports (without evidence, only hearsay) of her saying outrageously racist things in her governance; these comments were backtracking (the "apology" basically) for implying yesterday that there are in fact un-American areas; she is the "Joe Six-Pack" representative, so we do want to know what that means to her.

Now, a "surrogate" for the campaign suggests that the media "investigate" all of Congress (or just those on the left?) for being un-American. http://www.salon.com/politics/war_room/ In context, it's all part of a disturbing trend, but this line alone is definitely minor.

20. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

If a person uses a term like pro-America, then obviously in their mind there is the term anti-America.

Pro-abortion and anti-abortion is a good example.

No sane candidate would base their campaign on implying that US citizens are anti-America.

This isn't shades of grey but stark black and white.

21. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

Just for the sake of argument mind you but does that mean there are "pro-lifers" and "anti-lifers" ?:p

22. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

Why? It's almost impossible to do it successfully. For every stupid claim that you defend, there is another right there to use as a weapon.

What has that got to do with anything.

23. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

Is this the same woman who visits New York and does the whole 9/11, Ground Zero, patriotic thing and then buggers off to the small towns that are Teh Real America™ and criticises New York for being elité and unpatriotic?

She is truly pathetic.

24. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Isn't that reading a bit much into her comment? I'm voting for Obama (unless something drastic changes between now and then) and dislike Palin as much as the next but I don't see where she's naming places that aren't pro-America.

If you call grass green it doesn't imply that you mean nothing else is green either...

25. jplan2008 macrumors regular

"Best" is not the same as "green." "Best" by definition, means there are places that are not as good. (the analogy would be "greenest.") Since Sarah Palin doesn't speak English very well, I wouldn't hold her to the definition of "best," except that she specifically pointed out at least one place that isn't the best.

She tells us that "best" is not Washington. And "best" is in "little pockets" of the country. If she had said "I'm glad to be speaking to you "pro-Americans," that wouldn't necessarily entail un-American people, but "Pro-America" areas, by definition means there are areas that aren't "pro-America."

This is not number one of concerns about Sarah Palin, but it is all part of a pattern of division and defining what is patriotic vs. "seeing America as so imperfect," etc.

The full quote from link above:

"We believe that the best of America is not all in Washington, D.C. We believe" -- here the audience interrupted Palin with applause and cheers -- "We believe that the best of America is in these small towns that we get to visit, and in these wonderful little pockets of what I call the real America, being here with all of you hard working very patriotic, um, very, um, pro-America areas of this great nation. This is where we find the kindness and the goodness and the courage of everyday Americans. Those who are running our factories and teaching our kids and growing our food and are fighting our wars for us. Those who are protecting us in uniform. Those who are protecting the virtues of freedom."