Palin hung in effigy in Halloween display.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by atszyman, Oct 28, 2008.

1. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

Now that it's been brought to our attention, let's discuss the issue rather than use it to accuse us of being biased.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-palineffigy28-2008oct28,0,541630.story

I find the display distasteful, dispicable and should be condemned. While part of a Halloween display it goes beyond the bounds of good taste.

I'm sick of the idea that we should fear any candidate in the election. They work for us, damnit. They put forth what they, and their advisors, see as the best course for our country to take and it's up to us as the voters to do our homework and decide which version we agree with more. The idea that we should fear either candidate is ludicrous and counter productive. Neither candidate wants to see the U.S.A. fail, and both will do their best to get us on the right track. While concern, or worry, over where their policies will take the country may be warranted, outright fear should not be part of the political discourse.

From another article.

The biggest difference I see here, is by placing the effigy in a public place anonymously contains more of a veiled threat, and it would be equally as despicable to do it to either of the GOP candidates in this manner. As it stands the story is about someone who did this at their own home, not only do we know who did it, people know where they live and if any threat is perceived via the display the homeowner should be prosecuted. As it stands it looks as though there is no perceived threat at which point free speech should be protected no matter how despicable the message.

I'd like to see an official condemnation from the Obama campaign.

As a side note, in a hotbed of Liberalism, wouldn't a display of McCain at a podium with the Presidential Seal behind him and Palin at his side be more scary?

2. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

I think it is more than distasteful, if we didn't read about/see who did it, I'd say these people are very close to threatening the safety of candidates.

Or they are just hateful people ... both displays.

Can't wait for "civility" to make a comeback past the elections ... :eek:

3. deriko100 macrumors 6502

Thanks for posting thats a weird halloween house lol.

4. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

As I said in Delta's little thread, It was a stupid thing to do.

5. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

Wasn't this topic closed a few minutes ago in another discussion ?

6. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I already said it in the other thread, but to reiterate, I don't believe this display was done out of hatred. Rather, in an attempt to be clever, I believe they just severely underestimated the seriousness of their actions.

It was stupid, very very stupid, but I don't think there was any intent beyond a Halloween display.

7. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

I dunno, hanging anything by a noose is a pretty hateful statement. The McCain one was clever IMHO.

8. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Yet people do it for Halloween all the time.

9. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

That wasn't the topic of the other thread. This one is fair game.

10. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

It was closed because the intent of the previous thread was clearly not discussion. Does anyone really have interest in discussing it now? The opinion seems to be fairly resounding from both liberals and conservatives that it was a reprehensible action.

11. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

It is terribly distasteful no matter your political opinion. If I walked outside and my neighbor had a mannequin that looked like me with a noose around it's neck I would be extremely upset.

Some things are not funny no matter the intent.

12. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Pretty effed up. Shows the arsehole-ness has no party affiliation.

13. gibbz macrumors 68030

I'll play devil's advocate here.

It is pretty interesting where society draws the line on things. On Halloween, think of all of the ghastly and gory things people put on display. Dismembered and butchered bodies, blood and guts, ghosts, etc.. Think off all the haunted houses and scenes depicted there. If someone were to put any of that out on any other day, they would be considered a freak. Yet on this one day, we deem it ok.

Did you ever think what those displays might do to people who were affected by a crime, say if their relative were brutally murdered? No. we don't care because it is generic in our minds. Yet the second that the display depicts someone known to the masses, well then whoa, that is out of line and reprehensible and born of hatred. The display was meant for Halloween and simply put someone from popular culture in to gather attention. Who cares? If someone wants to string up a fake Joe Biden, whatever. If someone wants to string a mannequin of me up, well I hope I look realistic. People need to get off of their high-horse, self-righteous pedestal.

14. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I'm not sure they deserve such strong condemnation. One should not be condemned for intent which was not intended.

None of us know for sure what their intent truly was, but after hearing them speak, I'm inclined to believe that they're just ignorant.

What they really need is a smack upside the head.

15. mrwizardno2 macrumors 6502a

mrwizardno2

I agree with Gibbz. I don't see what the big deal is. If the neighbor wanted to put up one that looked like me - I don't think anyone would have made a stink, but whoa, look, it looks like she who must not be named... this is bad!

I have to say get a life, there are bigger things to worry about. How is it even a threat to the candidates? It's not like the creators had any intent on actually carrying out the act on the real woman - and if you seem to think so, how do you know? You read minds?

16. atszyman thread starter macrumors 68020

atszyman

That does become the big question. Although, I'd argue that someone who hangs it outside their own home and claims responsibility probably does not intend it to be any sort of threat.

Hung in effigy in a public place anonymously could be construed as a threat should the perpetrator be caught.

If my neighbor decided to use my likeness in a Halloween display I'd probably have no issues, If someone hung a likeness of me in a park near our house, I'd be much more concerned.

I started the thread because the other one was closed before some of us got to voice our opinions, and the intent was definitely not discussion of the issue, but instead a commentary on the forum posters and our lack of condemnation of a story many of us had not seen.

17. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

While a die hard liberal, I would still assume the reaction to an Obama hanging would have been different and brought about an overwhelming outrage reaction, even if it were only in the "spirit of Halloween"...

Yes I know there is history...

This is in bad taste at best...

If this were not done so close to a heated election, it most likely wouldnt have the same impact.

18. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

Yes but not with replicas of real people. That's where the line was crossed in my opinion. Whether or not these people intended this to mean anything, it's inappropriate. Would you feel the same if it was an effigy of your grandmother hanging from that noose?

SLC

19. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

20. belvdr macrumors 601

I cannot see why anyone would view this as good behavior. The joys of free speech...

21. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Talk about a bad idea. Emotions are running hot enough, so joke or not, this is not good.

Well, you make some good points. It may not have the racial connotations of a lynching, but it's still ridiculous to bait the neighborhood with something like this. It's just too offensive.

OTOH, haven't we all seen right-wing nuts who put enormous hand-made signs in their yard with messages of anger and bile? If they're considered free speech, I guess so is this.

Still, I think the mayor has the right attitude on this: it's deliberately provocative and inviting trouble, and for everyone's good, it should be taken down.

I have to admit, though: that effigy does bear a really creepy resemblance to another Halloween classic:

[​IMG]

22. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

Yes, but she did it all for Damien.

23. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

To be fair, you can't know that. Some people do stupid things without realizing the full ramifications of their actions.

Reminds me of a comment made by Eugenie Scott: we can't look into the hearts of others to see if they're being intentionally deceptive (or in this case, offensive).

24. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

I'm not sure, I kind of feel like this should be an invocation of Hanlon's razor. I have to agree with the Sheriff's department rep in the video "It's Hallowe'en, it's a visual prank" and "I'm not defending this [and] I'm not criticizing it."

25. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Palin Mannequin On Noose Cut Loose

Now, here's the real question: who's acting with the most malice, the creators or the protestors? ...The answer seems pretty clear to me.