Palin-McCain...WTF?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by rdowns, Sep 18, 2008.

1. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Link

This campaign is in melt down mode.

2. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

no, its in "we know the only reason ppl are paying attention now is Palin so we are making it into the first co presidential ticket in history" mode.

3. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

Absolutely hilarious. I really do enjoy seeing this campaign crash and burn. I saw a funny article linked in the article you posted, about how people are leaving these events after Palin speaks. They aren't sticking around to hear McCain.

Link

4. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Sure we think its crashing and burning, but the GOP will probably just spin it as changing how elections are run.

5. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

I'm hoping for more meltdown over the next few months.

6. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

I liked this post from "jenifer"

-what's the difference between George Bush and Sarah Palin?...

Lipstick.

7. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

Do you think she has been reamed by a very self-centered, quick-tempered, grudge-holding, egotistical, sexist like McCain? I still am not convinced that Palin was really McCain's choice. I think she was shoved down his throat, and probably against his wishes. If she is still on the ticket come Monday, it will be because his campaign is pouring cold water over him, feeding him tranquilizers and telling him, "You will loose the 'big chair if she leaves the ticket" (which will piss him off even more).

If some reporter/interviewer, with balls of brass, wanted to have some fun with this, I do believe they could get him to blow. They could ask a question like, "Most Presidential candidates would be angry if their VP nomination, especially a woman half his age, started putting herself number one on the ticket, but you seem OK with it. Is that a fair assessment?".

<insert answer>

"Well, I still find your patience commendable. I mean, this is not the first comment she has made like this <insert examples>, and I know you have noticed that people start leaving, after she speaks, and while you are speaking. That must take a great deal of patience on your part?"

Those are just examples and are not to be confused with any real events. But, just a handful of comments/questions like that make the mountain blow like St. Helens. I guess it is rather mean to talk like this. Sorry, John. :eek:

8. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

I have had a really hard and awful week, perhaps the worst in my 4.5 decades, and I couldn't help but laugh at this post. I told myself I wouldn't attack or make fun of a totally unqualified person in their job, only trying to do their best to please everybody, but this just blew the doors open. It's so true, though mean and likely to send you straight to Hell, but nonetheless very funny.

The only thing is that pigs are far smarter, and more experienced than Palin. ;)

9. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

Can you imagine just how funny the debates are going to be.

10. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

I can, but I can also see how the media will spin them to the point of a basic tie even if it's an obvious domination by one side.

Biden-Palin debates will completely dissect every answer from Biden and find enough to make him sound like a sexist bully.

They'll take every instance of an Obama, hesitation or stutter (no matter how many times McCain does the same waffling) and paint Obama as someone who can't think on his feet and even if Obama does dominate it will somehow be a bad thing. Probably because McCain was a POW (in case you didn't know) or McCain will get stellar marks for every answer where he mentions he was a POW no matter what the content of the answer.

I think the debates will be fun to watch, the media afterwards will probably just depress me though...

11. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

So McCain was POW? What does that mean? I assume he was in the military or something?

12. rdowns thread starter macrumors Penryn

rdowns

You should probably read this.

13. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Umm...you're kidding, right? I thought everyone knew about that.

14. jplan2008 macrumors regular

Well, McCain said if he were President, he'd fire the SEC chair. Except the President doesn't have that authority. (his staff said he meant encourage/ask him to resign). http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08263/913377-176.stm

McCain started bashing Obama for ranking second in Congress for contributions from Fannie Mae/Freddie Mac employees. Palin was asked (by her friend at FUX) if she thought there should be an investigation into Congressional contributions from Fannie/freddie. She said she thought that contributions from lobbysists were more of an issue. http://thinkprogress.org/2008/09/17/palin-blames-davis/

But, if McCain has been so nasty so early, I expect a lot worse in the final weeks, and people tend to be affected by smear.

15. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

Palin needs to start looking at her own staff then because there are 149 lobbyist working for McCain.

16. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

The question is, will Palin self-destruct, or will she continue to energize the GOP campaign...

I'm depressed about the current situation, but I'm hoping that Obama and Biden regain the lead when the debates come...I'm sure they'll do well.

Lately Obama's campaign has been quiet though...I suppose they are re-assessing their strategy now that they know the final GOP ticket.

17. jplan2008 macrumors regular

yeah, that was the point. She has Hannity trying to spoon-feed her campaign slogans, and she still campaigns against herself.

18. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2008/09/19/fact-check-did-obama-profit-from-fannie-and-freddie/

"The total listed for Obama is $126,349 — a tiny fraction of the approximately $390 million his campaign has raised, according to the Center for Responsive Politics. The list shows McCain has received a total of $21,550 from Fannie and Freddie employees. The list includes donations of at least $200 from those who receive paychecks from Fannie and Freddie. It also includes donations from political action committees — pooled contributions from employees. Obama decided early in his presidential run not to accept PAC contributions, but the Center for Responsive Politics' list includes all contributions for members of Congress dating back to 1989 — including Obama and McCain's Senate campaigns.

The New York Times has published a separate list looking at contributions from "directors, officers, and lobbyists for Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac" for the 2008 campaign cycle. That list — using figures from the Federal Election Commission — shows McCain receiving $169,000, while Obama received only $16,000.

Donations don't come from companies. A list of employee contributions puts Obama second, but a different list including lobbyists and directors shows McCain getting more."

Add those number together and the tally is-
    Obama- $142,349.00
    McCain- $190,550.00

So yes, McCain is correct when you only count "employees" (Regular folks).
    But if you actually count everyone working at Fannie Mae/Freddie Mac, McCain has recieved $48,000.00 more.

:rolleyes:

19. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Somehow this doesnt suprise me at all. With all McCains lobbyist connections i just figured hes getting money from all over, and surely someone somewhere was connected to Mae/Mac.

But counting employees as a donation from the company? God that is nitpicking. I suppose because an employee at a repo company donates to someone it means that someone is getting a boost out of the slumping economy right?

That was hypothetical, but it sounds exactly like the spin both sides likes to put on the facts.

20. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Well she is clearly the more experienced of the two candidates. And she's the celebrity. She should be at the top of the ticket. Funny thing is, I bet if you asked the GOP faithful, they'd be happy to put her on the top of the ticket. They truly believe she's more qualified than any Senator could ever be, and she's One Of Them.

They aren't going to be funny. The bar has been set so low for Palin, that all she has to do is be coherent and not drool on herself, and she'll be declared "the winner".

Remember, Bush was excellent at working "the soft bigotry of low expectations" game. Every debate where it would appear Bush only did marginally well would be spun as "Bush exceeded expectations".

I guarantee that Palin will "exceed expectations" if the expectations are that Biden will mop the floor with her. She'll be ready. She'll be armed with a few zingers, and she'll use them at an appropriate time. And if Biden doesn't literally use her as a mop, he'll be declared the loser. And if he does use her as a mop, he'll be "beating up on a girl".

Biden's in a tough place for the debate.

21. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

Biden is tough, but Palin's popularity is waning, and while the debate might get higher ratings than past VP debates, it won't be a game changer. Unless Biden makes a remark that can be viewed as blatantly sexist, the spin on "better than expectations" will only last until the next Obama v. McCain stand off 5 days later (and two of the days are a weekend when most people seem to pay little attention).

And since there are two debates for Obama and McCain after the VP debate the Biden v. Palin debate will most likely be long forgotten by election day.

22. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

5 days is a lifetime in politics. Remember, just 5 days ago the Obama supporters were in the depths of despair over Palin's success.

23. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

True, but with a Thursday night VP debate there will only be one day to really spin it, then the following Monday will be split between the VP debate and tomorrows Presidential debate.

Palin may "exceed expectations" but any boost from that will be short lived, provided Obama does well against McCain.

I admit that the debates will be fun to watch, the media spin, will be depressing unless they actually keep up with exposing the lies like they are finally starting to do.

24. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

The CW from the debate will form over the 24 hours following the debate, and will live on from then until the election. The fact that it happens on a Thursday night will not affect that process. Remember, Palin's candidacy was announced on a Friday. The narrative immediately following that announcement was reinforced over the weekend while supposedly "no one is watching".

25. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

But that was when everyone was still in "WTF?" mode. Palin is not nearly the draw she once was most of what we hear about her is not flattering, and at the rate they're going by the time the debate comes "exceeding expectations" won't cut it for making weekend news.