Palin meeting with world leaders -- no reporters allowed

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jplan2008, Sep 23, 2008.

1. jplan2008 macrumors regular

I don't like to keep up the Palin talk, but I guess they're trying to make her "ready" by setting up meetings with some foreign leaders.

"Republican vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin, who has not held a press conference in nearly four weeks of campaigning, on Tuesday banned reporters from her first meetings with world leaders, allowing access only to photographers and a television crew.

CNN, which was providing the television coverage for news organizations, decided to pull its TV crew, effectively denying Palin the high visibility she had sought."

"Those sessions and meetings scheduled for Wednesday are part of the Republican campaign's effort to give Palin experience in foreign affairs. She has never met a foreign head of state and first traveled outside North America just last year."

Was she qualified when nominated, or are they trying to teach her everything there is to know in 5 weeks?

http://news.yahoo.com/story//ap/20080923/ap_on_el_pr/palin_leaders

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Fixed that for you. :D

Looks like this might backfire on them. I never understood why they wanted to make this such a big deal. All it does is make her inexperience more of an issue.

3. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Remember when the GOP set up that clock that counted the time since Barack Obama had been to Iraq?

We need one to count the time until Sarah Palin holds a news conference. :rolleyes:

4. scotthayes macrumors 68000

scotthayes

That's a cool idea but and you could also do one that counts the time until she visits Iraq.

5. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

How about one that counts the time before she knows the difference between Iraq and Iran.

6. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Well, she's been to Iraq before, and since you can see Iran from parts of Iraq, I'm sure she's already an expert on Iran.

7. spork183 macrumors 6502a

spork183

What was the Leno line? Something about Palin and McCain campaigning in Vienna, Ohio to get her some foreign policy experience?

"McCain has been running this campaign based on 'we're at war, it's a dangerous world out there. The democrats don't get that. I John McCain am the only one standing between the blood-thirsty Al Qaedas and you. But if I die, this stewardess can handle it.'" –Bill Maher

8. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

Ah, but Palin has never been to Iraq. She went to Kuwait to visit the National Gaurd, but since you can see Iraq from the border, it's probably the same thing as visiting! :rolleyes:

9. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalradar/2008/09/mccain-palin-ca.html

But typically, along with cameras, there is an editorial presence-- at least one print reporter, one television reporter, and one radio reporter is standard.

However today the McCain campaign told media covering Palin's trip to New York that they would allow only one editorial person inside.

Then the campaign scaled back further, saying it will only allow a camera and no editorial presence.

The networks, including ABC, CBS, NBC, CNN, and Fox fiercely objected to the McCain campaign's apparent effort to try to shield Palin from questions. Networks voted today to not use any video coming out of Palin's meeting as a protest.

Palin has not held a news conference since being selected as McCain's running-mate, nor taken questions from her traveling press corps, frustrating journalists assigned to cover Palin for the election.

10. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Ah yes, that's right. Kuwait, not Iraq. Well, at least she's an Iraq expert then, even though she's admitted that she hasn't really paid attention to the situation her son is about to find himself in.

11. beatzfreak macrumors 6502

http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/09/23/media-rebellion-over-palin-photo-ops/?hp

I guess we have to rely on the McCain campaign to tell us the rest.:rolleyes:

12. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

This is exactly what the McCain camp wants.

No reporters=more news/speculation=more coverage of McCain.

Right out of the book of Rove.

13. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

You are right, negative press is still press. Its like the child kicking and screaming in the grocery store while their mother is on the phone; they might get yelled at, but at least she's talking to them. :rolleyes:

14. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

How can half the country be stupid enough to not see what is going on???

McCains camp has used someones quote repeatedly against obama "the office of the presidency does not lend itself to on the job training" yet this goes on?

Apparantly they are fine using statements against competitors but if turned around its an entirely different story.

15. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Palin's campaign has turned into one of the stupidest ones on record. She's always being cloistered from the media in case she says anything stupid, and now she's approaching foreign policy like a college student who hasn't attended class all year and is now pulling an all-nighter before the final.

Brother.

16. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

And somehow it will work out for her. The GOP will surely twist this into a campaign ad showing her vast foreign experience.

17. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

18. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Considering he only effectively governs Kabul, he might as well be considered a mayor.

But of course, mayoral experience is the best experience for leading a nation.

19. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

Then a perfect match for her first meeting :D

Actually he has more executive experience ...

20. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

21. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Sheesh, it was just a joke. Most nations have more sense than to elect people with very thin resumes to high office.

22. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

Nobody questioned his experience, but he is effectively ruling the capital right now. I stand by my statement that he has more executive experience than she does. :p

23. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

you'll have to excuse me I've been in the land of *gawd I can't describe the state of this country any more* too long.