Palin Pardons Thanksgiving Turkey...

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by rdowns, Nov 20, 2008.

1. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

and is interviewed as turkeys are slaughtered in the background. I loves me some Sarah Palin. :D

Link with video

2. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

That is a classic. unbelievable footage.

Can this person be any more oblivious to reality?

3. jecapaga macrumors 601

jecapaga

Wow..just have no words. I really want to bring some but no.

4. JLatte macrumors 6502

hahahaha wow something about that was awesome. The camera was so conveniently placed and she was just oblivious. I like how she's talking about what she was thankful for and how wonderful it was to participate as that guy behind her is just like ... "uhhh so do I just go ahead with the beheading?" and the sink behind her is shaking from the turkey and wow. She's spectacular, beyond words.

5. Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

This is probably a common occurence on local TV in Alaska. They just don't care. I bet if you dig deep enough in the archives you'll find footage of Palin with the following going on in the background:

- Helicopters circling around a wolf
    - A pile of Harry Potter books on fire
    - Recreational gang rape
    - Fishermen tattooing toddlers
    - Baby seal flaying
    - A long line of delivery trucks in front of Ted Stevens' house
    - Russian paratroopers in the sky

6. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

It's not really that gruesome. I mean, it's not like they're being tied down and getting whacked with an axe.

7. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

No- I agree. But the problem is that she's pardoning a turkey, WHILE we watch the others get slaughtered. It's kind of stupid of her, dontcha think? ;)

Sorry, this woman is about as bright as a 10 watt bulb.

8. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

And both the news people and her spokesperson agree that she okayed the camera placement after the producer asked if that's what she wanted in the background. Her response? "No worries."

Priceless.

9. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

10. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

I had no idea that Governors pardoned turkeys.

Besides, what's the point now a days? TV Ratings?

11. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

It's absolutely terrifying to think how close she got to the White House.

12. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

Now don't get me wrong, I think Palin's an idiot as much as the next person, but I don't get this video. I've seen her flub before and I was in stitches with the rest of you, but I watched the whole thing and it didn't even look like any turkeys were being killed. Maybe I just didn't see it, but it looked just like the guy was holding the turkey there.

I also don't really see the irony of seeing turkeys being killed after pardoning one. I mean, the reason you pardon one is because you normally kill them. It only makes sense that after you pardon one, others would be killed.

I don't know. Color me confused. :confused:

Now, had there been a mass slaughter of turkeys going on in the background, that would have been hilarious no matter who was in the foreground.

I thought what made it funny was the guy with the turkey had no idea what to do.

13. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

The whole thing is stupid and confusing. I think that's what we're all talking about. ;)

It just leaves you scratching your head.

14. rdowns thread starter macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Governors, mayors, presidents- they all do it. WOnder if they all get blown. :eek:

[​IMG]

15. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

If you've ever eaten a turkey or any other animal, this shouldn't really shock you. How else do you think it got on your plate?

16. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Oh no- I've done it myself. We used to slaughter chickens in the back yard when I was a kid. It's just that...WTF was she trying to accomplish? The whole video is silly. :)

17. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

She probably grew up around it too and didn't think anything about it.

I have never had the opportunity to slaughter chickens, but both my mom and dad did it when they were kids.

18. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

That's the part that so funny. She didn't think about it and she's a public figure. She needs to do a bit more thinking in the future. Actually, thinking in the present would be good too. ;) Honest to god, this is like some scene from Fargo. :)

19. JLatte macrumors 6502

I've slaughtered chickens in Thailand in my mother's village before, however I can't admit I was pardoning any of them before they met my blade.

20. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

That's a big part of it, but that's not even the biggest part of it imo. For me the most important part is that it shows she has a complete lack of understanding about what is or is not a good decision. Yes, people know that actual turkeys are killed so that they can have a turkey meal on their plate, and yes people are remotely aware that slaughtering an animal is a gruesome event. BUT, that doesn't mean it's appropriate for you to do a light-hearted tv interview in front of! She's completely unaware of how ugly and stupid this will look to most Americans. In other words, it's appropriate to do an interview talking about how full you feel after eating a giant thanksgiving dinner, but it's not appropriate to do that on tv where in the background someone is taking a giant dump on the toilet! They're directly related, but that doesn't mean it's appropriate! She's just an endless string of stupid decisions.

21. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

As far as the actual killing of the turkey on camera. What they do is twist the neck to kill it then slice the throat. After that they put it in the bin so the blood drains out. That's what the guy was doing.

22. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

Yah... it does seem like something from Fargo... yah? Yah.

23. Aranince macrumors 65816

Who really cares? Where do you think our food comes from? Trees? The ground?

24. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Pocket Universe, nth Dimensional Complex Manifold
    OMFG, I was laughing my head off. This is like an alternate reality going on. --And she gives some great quotes, showing how intentional it was. I made sure I downloaded this. Too good. I hope, HOPE, someone satirizes that. --Although, apparently Tina Fey got her wish. :)
    No, that part is understandable (that it has to occur, at least to me, my mother grew up in Alabama and told me of the stories of chickens running around with heads cut off... and I'm a carnivore)... but the idea that any public official would CONDUCT AN INTERVIEW as animals are being slaughtered in the background... whether for food or not... is completely off the reservation. The purpose of giving an interview is to have people pay attention to what you have to say. The background should HELP your message. For MOST Americans, I don't think the image of a leader standing in front of... say... cows marching to get their brains hammered out... works in their favor. It happens... people don't want to be forced to watch it, simply to hear the politician speak. It's CRAZY. :) Imagine her standing in front of someone getting drilling at the dentist, and squirming in their chair, as the drilling sound goes off loudly. Imagine her standing in front of someone getting a gynecological exam... just giving an interview. Something are better off happening outside of the camera.

~ CB

25. JLatte macrumors 6502

Where do you think stupid politicians come from? Wasilla?