Palin vs McCain

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zap2, Sep 3, 2008.

1. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

So my friend asked me a question, which I mistook as

Would would be want to be President, John McCain or Sarah Palin?

Realizing that I'm against both of them, it was an interesting question. Of course I wanted to say "neither" but thats avoiding the point.

I went with Palin, although something felt wrong, quickly. As governor, she talked about wanting an exit plan for Iraq, which was good. She did raise taxes on gas companies in Alaska, so she might do something to that effect on oil companies on a national scene. Her stance on immigration is unknown, as far as I can tell, which might be good because she would have less of a reason to veto anything a hopefully democratic congress set her. Her lack of any international stuff scaries me, but not as much as McCain's policies. I think Palin wouldn't be so head strong, while McCain still doesn't admit Iraq was a bad idea.

-Her stance on energy is bad( start drilling all in ANWR)
    -Her stance on sex ED is bad. ( abstinence-only education)
    -Her stance on guns is bad.
    -Her stance on education is bad( should teach creationism in school with evolution, although I read she later denied that, saying only if its brought up, there should not be are rule against talking about it, but either way)
    -Stance on gay rights changed in 2 years, from terrible(support a ban on giving partners spousal benefits) to bad (vetoed a ban spousal benefits, but still isn't pro marriage)

The fact is McCain scares me leading America, I think Palin might be a little more held back, not so confident....maybe not so quick to jump the gun on another war(while McCain is confident to a bad degree, because he's so off base). Her biggest downfall, for me, is the environment. Heck she denies global warming is our fault...thats bad!

So what say you, McCain or Palin?

2. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

McCain. He scares the **** out of me, but the crazy religious extremist with next to no experience scares me more.

3. Ntombi macrumors 68040

Ntombi

Exactly what I was going to say.

4. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Pocket Universe, nth Dimensional Complex Manifold
    Palin would be absolutely LIVID if there was any suggestion that she couldn't exert control. Examples? Firing people as a loyalty test. Terminating the local librarian for refusing to ban certain books. If that's not "headstrong" I don't know what is.

http://www.crosscut.com/politics-government/17341/About+Sarah+Palin:+an+e-mail+from+Wasilla/
    Honestly. I see myself picking McCain over Palin, but honestly... they both suck so badly, I'd probably be trapped on "blank stare" if presented with a choice. I have a feeling McCain might move back to what he was years ago... but I feel he's on the decline mentally. I'm fearful at this point that he might not survive the campaign, and we have a really BAD moment in American history.

:eek:

~ CB

5. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

McCain, of course. Although I'd want Obama over Biden for sure.