Palins New Blunder

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by macfan881, Oct 21, 2008.

1. macfan881 macrumors 68020

2. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Just saw that on Countdown.

It's truly frightening that she thinks she would have some kind of control or direction over the Senate.

Then again, who knows? Maybe she's already making plans for martial law.

3. Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

Jeebus.

As for her "executive experience", did anyone catch the Daily Show yesterday when they sent Jason Jones to Wasilla, where he talked to the current mayor (Dianne M. Keller)? This is their conversation:

JJ: Do you think that being a small town mayor prepares you to be vice president of the United States?

DK: An unequivocal yes.

JJ: How?

DK: How...

JJ: Let's say you have a problem with the fire department, what would you do?

DK: The city of Wasilla doesn't manage the fire department.

JJ: OK, fine. Let's say there's something wrong with your school system.

DK: We don't do the school system either.

JJ: Just pick any social service.

DK: We don't do social services in Wasilla.

JJ: Um, what do you do?

DK: What do we do in Wasilla?

JJ: Take me through the mayor of Wasilla's day.

DK: (pause) Just... different things on different days. Uh... well, Mondays at ten o' clock, we always have a staff meeting. And then, um... (pause) ...every Thursday is check signing day, so I sign all the checks for the city of Wasilla, pay the bills...

:rolleyes:

4. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

isnt it sad that only shows that arent real new get the important info out there?

5. macfan881 thread starter macrumors 68020

indeed Daily Show FTW!

6. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

well actually the vice president does have a bit of a role in the senate. From wikipedia;

QUOTE]...As designated by the Constitution of the United States, the vice president also serves as the President of the Senate, and may break tie votes in that chamber....

...As President of the Senate (Article I, Section 3), the vice president oversees procedural matters and may cast a tie-breaking vote. There is a strong convention within the U.S. Senate that the vice president not use his or her position as President of the Senate to influence the passage of legislation or act in a partisan manner, except in the case of breaking tie votes. As President of the Senate, John Adams cast twenty-nine tie-breaking votes—a record that no successor except for John C. Calhoun ever threatened.....[/QUOTE]

7. macfan881 thread starter macrumors 68020

[/QUOTE]

yes but in terms to what she is saying she isnt even hitting close to the full intent

8. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

yes but in terms to what she is saying she isnt even hitting close to the full intent[/QUOTE]

Shes been talking about reforming the senate, not breaking ties. She has no power to change how things are run there.

9. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

[/QUOTE]

Procedural matters is nowhere near close to legislation. That's why the executive branch is separate from the legislative branch which is separate from the judicial branch which is separate from the executive branch.

10. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

If you're going to start a thread with such a title, can you at least put the date in the thread title? It's hard to keep up with truly new Palin blunders...

11. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

well I don't think that Palin has a particularly good idea of what the vice president can or can't do, but then neither do most people. An example; if Joe Lieberman decided that since he's supporting McCain he should start caucusing with the Republicans, then the current senate would become evenly split putting the VP into a position with a great deal of potential influence over legislation. As the the Wiki article points out, VP John Adams cast decisive tie breaking votes 29 times; hardly what you would call not being involved in legislation. The only thing that prevents a VP from getting involved with legislation is that traditionally they don't. It's certainly not prohibited by the constitution......hopefully, we'll never find out what trouble a VP Palin could cause in the senate.

12. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

If Palin thinks a VP has any role in the Senate other than to cast the rare tie-breaker vote, she's even more unqualified than I thought.

Not a good day for her. Aside of the thread subject, reports are out that she has charged the state of Alaska for her kid's travel expenses and spent $150,000 on clothes since being nominated. I'm a maverick. :rolleyes:

Link

Link

I can certainly understand spending money to properly outfit her for the campaign but this is just so excessive, especially given their Joe 6-pack, average American crap.

13. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

Someone at 30 Rock (the place, not the show) better be cuing up the Feylin "Rainbow High" number from "Evita".

14. Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

It's great, so is Real Time with Bill Maher... although I'm not sure it's helping with all these shamelessly partisan media people, no matter which camp they're in. There's this trench war between FOX News on one side and Olbermann, Maddow, Maher and Stewart on the other. Is there no neutral, equal opportunity media left in the US? This polarization thing is gonna end in a civil war sometime in the next 50 years...

15. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

16. beatzfreak macrumors 6502

Nothing as serious as Palin's plans for the senate, but this picture from yesterday is pretty funny.

What party is she representing, again?

17. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

Those are horses. Alaska is a horse state. The Democratic Donkey has it's hind legs up in the air.

18. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

It's hard to keep things straight in your head once you start paying over $399.99 for haircuts...

Oh, and it means you're an elitist too. At least that's what I've been told by reliably conservative people.

19. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3D: Godzilla/5.0; AppleWebKit/525.18.1; stereoscopic glasses 3.1.1) Mothra/5F136 Safari 3D)

Each year women need to spend $150,000 on shoes, whether they are running for office or not. I can't explain why, but my wife tells this to me all the time. That's why I have to work 4 jobs. ;)

20. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Tell me about it. My ex-girlfriend has an entire closet just for her shoes. I stopped counting at 114 pair. She must have close to 150. A sickness.

21. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

That's the kind of economic stimulus this country needs!

Country First™

22. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Nope definitely donkeys. Might be more equine anatomy than you care for, but the head carriage, sloping rump, placement of the tail, lack of predominant withers, and placement of the ears on the head clearly show that it is supposed to be a donkey. Plus, its a lot funnier if its donkeys.

23. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

You are correct. I did some googleing and found the Democratic Donkey.

I stand corrected.

24. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Wow, Chris Matthews really took it to Nancy Pfotenhauer over Palin's VP comments. Of all the surrogates in this campaign, she is the one I hate most. To steal a line from BillMaher, Pf**k you Nancy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82Qfma4moHM

25. Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

Where is the factory where they manufacture these GOP women? They're all the same. Michele Bachmann, Katherine Harris, Nancy Pfotenhauer, Cindy McCain, Sarah Palin, all identical niptucked & botoxed witches with a Marshall Applewhite-esque hypnotic stare, pantsuit and a 1950's hairdo. They go on talkshows and grin broadly like Jack Nicholson's Joker in Batman while being asked questions. The tougher the questions, the broader the permanent grin. Creeeeeeeeeepy.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]