Palin's Scientific Ignorance

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by FJ218700, Oct 24, 2008.

1. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

As a parent of a child with Down Syndrome, not to mention a VP candidate spouting the need to fund research for the study of human genetic disorders, you would think that she would at least have an inkling of how genomic research works.

As a biologist, I find this truly unbelievable.

from ThinkProgress.org

"This morning, Gov. Sarah Palin (R-AK) gave her first policy speech urging the federal government to fully fund the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) . . . in the speech, Palin cited the need to do more for children with disabilities such as autism:

"For many parents of children with disabilities, the most valuable thing of all is information. Early identification of a cognitive or other disorder, especially autism, can make a life-changing difference."

Palin claimed that the amount that Congress spends on earmarks “is more than the shortfall to fully fund IDEA.” She then ridiculed some of the projects — such as “fruit fly research” — saying they have little or no value:

"Where does a lot of that earmark money end up anyway? […] You’ve heard about some of these pet projects they really don’t make a whole lot of sense and sometimes these dollars go to projects that have little or nothing to do with the public good. Things like fruit fly research in Paris, France. I kid you not."

this is complete ignorance on so many levels. Does the GOP not realize that Drosophila spp. a.k.a. "fruit flys" are a model organism for the study of human genetic disorders. We already heard McCain's earmark example of "studies of the DNA of bears in Montana."

Scientists worldwide should be worried, not that McCain and Palin will be elected, but that there is so much ignorance at top levels of the American government.

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Scientists have known that one all to well for decades, if not a century. ;)

In the 90's, there was a US Senator who made a project of periodically raising the issue in session of research which he considered wasteful. He criticized electrical engineers for studying ATMs (asynchronous transfer modes) because he thought they were studying automated teller machines.

4. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

How many U.S. Senators reject evolution, the Big Bang, and the age of the universe?

"You don't need to pass an IQ test to be in the Senate" – Senator Mark Pryor of Arkansas

5. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

How many Presidents, for that matter...

6. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Many more publicly than privately.

7. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

The fact that an official need dumb down his intelligence to that level is disturbing.

8. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Pocket Universe, nth Dimensional Complex Manifold
    Someone clearly challenged her to read the projects cited at Citizens Against Government Waste, and find her own projects to "ridicule". McCain was yucking it up during one of the debates, trying to link Obama to a "overhead projector". The Adler Planetarium was pretty shocked that McCain would make such a gross misrepresentation of

http://chicago.about.com/od/neighborhoodshistory/a/AdlerDebateStmt.htm
    I honestly don't know how a politician can come back from showing such disrespect to the sciences. It's certainly an example of McCain's "hatchet-not-scalpel" approach. It was amusing watching Obama and McCain fight over who'll be able to keep using that zinger.

~ CB

9. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

True. I'm sure the same goes for Palin as well. I'm sure there's quite a large disconnect between what she projects publicly and what she understands herself.

10. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

While I'd give the benefit of that doubt to Obama or McCain, I don't think you publicly admit to believing the Earth is 6 000 years old unless you really are that scientifically illiterate.

11. Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

It's a problem of attitude rather than knowledge. I don't expect politicians on any level to be experts on genomic research, or enonomic theory for that matter; their job is to consult expertise in order to make an assessment, and that's where Obama shines. He's humble and open-minded and can't wait to surround himself with people who know a heckuvalot more than he does. Palin is a dangerous combination: 1) She harbors a disdain for science, and 2) she's a power-tripping little dictator who thinks she's gonna seize control of the senate and run the show.

It's a good thing that little miss Alaska's wet dreams of a coup d’état will be shattered on Nov 4.

12. JW8725 macrumors 6502a

shes sexy though so it doesnt matter! :p

13. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

I think I just threw up a little in my mouth...

14. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

It's interesting that the only reason people have the freedom to be anti-science is that science has blessed them with full bellies and 80 years of lifespan. Talk about biting the hand that feeds you.

"In this next election, we've got to choose between the 21st century rationalism and Dark Age inanity. It ought to be an easy choice." Indeed.

15. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

What, Palin doesn't sent little starbursts through the screen at you? :p

16. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Yeah... Not really, but then again, I think my breasts keep my testosterone level under control, so I don't know if I can really relate. ;)

I remember back in the mid '90s when my dad was going to school for a degree in biology with an emphasis in genetics, and he would bring home these oversize test tubes in which he was growing fruit flies for class. For such a wasteful thing it sure was taught pretty heavily in the classroom. :eek:

17. Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

Right, and since these clowns are so hell bent on warmongering, one wonders where American weapons and defense technology would be if Palin had been in charge of research funds. Stuff like, oh, the nuclear bombs that put a definitive end to WWII? Palin: "Did ya know, gosh darnit, that we're paying some gentleman named Oppenheimer to develop a giant firecracker?"

Palin reaps the fruits of science from morning until beddy-bye, and probably when she's sleeping too.

18. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Oddly enough, I have no breasts -- or at least none worth getting excited about -- and yet I fail to see the starbursts as well. Go figure.

19. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I would have quoted the article, but some of it can be kinda NSFW. Probably should have given a heads up on that. :eek: Mea culpa.

I don't get it either. Dumb girls totally do it for me sometimes. Evil too. Don't know, her particular MILFiness... just not seeing it.

Very ironic that she's still making these claims when such research should help those like her Son. But then, despite her claims, she actually cut funding for special needs kids too, so it's not like it would be out of character for her. Also cut funding for teen Moms BTW and still into the whole abstinence education thing. Just throwin' that out there dontchaknow.

20. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

If PZ Meyers is ever NSFW, WNSFPM.

21. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Myself and the rest of England are shaking our collective heads in disgust.

22. emw macrumors G4

emw

I'm not a fan of Palin, but I believe that particular rumor was shown to be false.

I don't necessarily question her desire to improve services for special needs kids, but I do question her ability to understand what research will benefit them in the long run. It's one thing to provide services to those with disabilities, but quite another to fund programs that will potentially prevent certain disabilities in the future.