Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Good info.
So is this something that can be corrected or patched with a pangu update?
And is there something that we can do if we ever get stuck when rebooting the phone and it fails to start up again?
Besides restoring and rejailbreaking. Cause soon that wont be an option when 9.1 is out.

Reactions: bandofbrothers

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
think i ran into a hiccup on my iPad Air 2 the other day. it booted fir 2 minutes then crashed twice before finally booting up. thought it was related to the minimal host tweak til now but maybe it was due to this

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
Apparently their looking into it.

One suggestion in the piece is if you encounter this then while the  logo logo is permanent , hold the home button and power button until the screen goes black and then hold the volume button.

"If you're stuck in an Apple Logo of Death after installing several tweaks for substrate, try this techinque to disable Cydia Substrate temporarily and see if it's a tweak causing problems: Step 1: When you're stuck at the apple logo hold down the home + power buttons. Step 2: Immediatly after the screen turns black hold down the volume up button and see if it starts up within 30 seconds. Please try this BEFORE you do a full restore"

I've encountered this and had to hook up to iTunes and invoke recovery mode and restore. And then re jail break.

I sure won't be using the hold home button/ sleep wake button anytime soon.

Reactions: Applejuiced

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
That's actually a hard reset aborted when it gets to the shutoff part. It's what I usually do whenever I have an issue, stock or otherwise and I can't get the phone to turn off by normal methods.

At that point, if I am doing a safe boot, I'll hold down the volume up button and then turn the phone back on.

What you describe from them seems to similar, only you're doing it (pressing the volume up button) immediately after the phone shuts off.

That's a new trick for me.

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
New on me too and to be honest I hope I never have to try it out. I only use a certain amount of tweaks I'm safe with.

As I said I had what's described but didn't know this possible tip and ended up restoring. As already said if this happens when iOS 9.1 is out and is the only one being signed it's going to be not good as that patches the exploits.

It would be interesting to hear from anyone who has been successful in using the described possible workaround.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
It sounds as if this is a serious enough issue that I would expect it to be fixed soon.

If this is a new way to do things, then a few eggs are bound to be broken to get the omelet in the beginning.

Fortunately for me, safe mode is a routine habit I've developed to troubleshoot. Also iCleaner Pro and it's ability to disable specific tweaks while keeping them installed. That has saved my ass more than once.

Right now though I'm not pushing. If I get a boot loop or the phone drops to safe mode OR Cydia/apps won't open after a respring I uninstall. I'll wait until things have been fixed.

For this reason I'm still waiting on Activator and iCleaner Pro even though they have reportedly been updated for 9.x.

Also, I usually have to force myself to reboot periodically. In general my phone is never shut off. So, except for installing and testing tweaks I'm not in the habit of rebooting my phone a lot.

Guess we'll just have to see how this all works out.

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
I do power my iPhone down every now and again. I feel it gives the phone a 'rest'

On closing down the iPhone by long pressing the power button their is No issues with the iPhone then powering up and booting as this is what they call a Clean Boot.

Apparently the two button reset is not clean and can cause this issue.

I've not had to perform this action too many times in the past thankfully.

loyalist

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2011
Activator 1.9.6 keeps getting my iPhone 6 stuck in the BLoD even though it states it's compatible for iOS 9. Had to psuh the power + home button and then volume up button to kick it out of the Apple logo. This is the only tweak that is causing the BLoD for me.

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
Activator 1.9.6 keeps getting my iPhone 6 stuck in the BLoD even though it states it's compatible for iOS 9. Had to psuh the power + home button and then volume up button to kick it out of the Apple logo. This is the only tweak that is causing the BLoD for me.

I hope this gets updated for you.

On a side note it's encouraging to know the fix via using the button pressess works.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I hope this gets updated for you.

On a side note it's encouraging to know the fix via using the button pressess works.
It's worked since at least iOS 6, if not earlier. ;)

It's Mobile Substrate Safe Mode, which has been around for quite a while. Which is why I don't understand that the advice at Reddit is being touted over there as something new (or at least it seems like it is to me).

b0fh666

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2012
south
my experience :

iphone 5c boots straight up no blue screen
iphone 5s :
boots OK when connected to mac
bluescreens 2 or 3 times then boots when disconnected
boots OK with substrate disabled (volumeUP) no blue screens.

currently restoring the 5s due to bad experiments that broke it a little (cant access some settings like DND or notifications unless i disable substrate).

interesting that the bluescreens are expected... freaks me out tough :)

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
Has anyone applied the new pangu update via Cydia ?

I've updated and My boot up times seem to be faster but I've not tried to reset my iPhone via the HomeButton and power button process yet.

Reactions: eyoungren

jdaniel

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2009
Lviv, Ukraine
Has anyone applied the new pangu update via Cydia ?

I've updated and My boot up times seem to be faster but I've not tried to reset my iPhone via the HomeButton and power button process yet.

phone will not boot with a hardreset either with or without the update apparently.. i tried both on a clean phone.. either way it will not work... which is scary.....

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
phone will not boot with a hardreset either with or without the update apparently.. i tried both on a clean phone.. either way it will not work... which is scary.....

Thank you for the update.

I agree it is "scary"

The ramifications of someone not knowing about this possible Achilles Heel of the current Pangu JailBreak and the signing off window of iOS 9.0.2 approaching is not good !

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012

Does this boot loop problem only have the chance when you hard reset using the home and power button?

or is it possible at any time the device is booting up?

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
Does this boot loop problem only have the chance when you hard reset using the home and power button?

From what I've read it's the hard reset scenario.

I've closed down my phone using the holding power button and then swipe to close quite a few times with no issues.

lolbie

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2015
these issues should be fixed with the new pangu update from cydia or jailbreak app for windows

and you can still get into the BLOD by adding the wrong tweaks those who are yet not made for IOS 9

So jailbreakers be carefull if you don't want to end up with the BLOD

Reactions: Applejuiced

jdaniel

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2009
Lviv, Ukraine

so far only hard reset but I ain't in the mood to try anything else. there's no way to go back if apple is not signing 9.0.2

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.