panhandling?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by chris200x9, Nov 7, 2010.

1. chris200x9 macrumors 6502a

why is panhadling illegal in the U.S but everyone and their brother can call you asking for donations? Likewise why is telemarketing illegal (no call list) but you can get 20 unsolicited phone calls a day telling you who to vote for?

2. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

This is one of the major reasons why I haven't had a home phone in about 10 years. Too many random people calling about random things.

3. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Screen your calls.

4. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

yeah but screen doing nothing to stop the phone from ringing. That often is the most annoying part.

As for those call got to love the loop holes. Political campaigning is exempt from the do not call list. Thank God that cell phone are still banned from receiving ANY type of automatic call or political calls. The call phone companies got that on right and it is political suicide for any one to go after trying to change that. Cell phone companies know that it is in their best interested to fight it as well.

Either way the home phone is a quickly dieing thing. I want to say if you only look at the people under the age of 45 it is less than 50% of them even have a home phone. I was listen to NPR last year and they were talking about how there is this hard line in terms of age vs cell phone only. It just people born after a certain year are much more likely to go cell phone only. Land lines are dieing.

5. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

I could, but than what's the point of having a phone? If I screened, I would never answer the thing anyway because everyone I know that wants to get in touch with me would just call my cell anyway.

I haven't had one in forever, and haven't missed it a bit.

6. samiwas macrumors 65816

Yep...we got rid of our home phone a couple of years ago. We had one for a while after we moved into our new house, but the ONLY calls that ever came through on it were telemarketers...half the time from companies we already used trying to get us to upgrade.

We finally cancelled it, because what is the point of paying $30 a month or whatever for the privilege of being contacted by telemarketers??

As for panhandling being illegal...it should be, and I wish they'd do more about it. I'm OK with someone just sitting and holding a cup and a sign or playing the buckets for some spare change, but approaching and asking for money gets on my nerves and makes a city less appealing. I was out of town for a couple of weeks up in Michigan (not Detroit), and there was one woman who worked the same few blocks every day whining about how she needed to get a bus ticket to go somewhere and was only $16 short. She used the same story every day, and some people were gullible enough to give her money. And it's things like that that make you start to assume things about everyone walking your direction.

7. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

I'm on a do not call list for my cell and I still get random B.S. calls trying to claim I have a warranty that is going to expire or I won a free trip to Antarctica all I have to pay for is the ship.

8. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

I have to support the no home phone option too. I was on the no call list and it worked pretty well but there were still a lot of "authorized" calls that I would get. I screened them, sure, but still--a bit of a pain. Having no home phone seems to work the best as I don't get any random solicitations, charity drives, or political riffraff--so I no longer need to screen.

9. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

In Canada ... panhandling is a business

We had a woman like that here in Toronto same MO everyday ... she did look down and out (shaking and all)

well the Media decided to look at her situation ... they watched her for a while and noticed when she was done her "shift", she would walk down a block turn the corner and get into a really nice car. They then ran the plate found out where the address was and knocked on her door one night.

She opened the door perfectly healthy (no shaking or anything) ... in the living room the reporter noticed nice leather couches and a Big Screen TV.

the next day ... her story "the shaky lady" was in the paper and the truth to all the kind folks she had duped was revealed.

Well you would think it would end there ... no, just her at that street corner.

She was found pulling the same scam in a city 1 hour away. Her son to his inconvenience would drive her to her new post every day.

Not sure where she is duping people today ... I would bet she is still at it.

Scumbags like her just make it so hard for people that are truly down on their luck. ... and I do not know the answer as there are tons of these type in Toronto ... they guard their posts as if they were legitimate vendors.

???

10. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

My rule of thumb is that they have to entertain me to get money, and even then I'm weary. There's a guy who hangs out on a corner in downtown St. Louis playing a saxophone with a bucket for money, but I once saw him getting out of a fairly new SUV.

But someone just sitting there, or worse, who comes up to me, doesn't get anything. I prefer to give to charities who can actually verify that these people are in need and can give them shelter, clothing, etc, so they don't take the money I give them and spend it on booze. I know it sounds stereotypical, but a guy I work with gave a panhandler money and 20 minutes later saw him walking out of a liquor store.

11. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

I screen by ring tone. My phone has a dozen tones that can be assigned to numbers, which is about enough for me (different handsets can have different assignments, allowing the ring patterns to cover quite a few numbers). And, luckily, one of the ringtones is "silent", which has been assigned to several persistent marketers.

12. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

I can agree that screening is certainly easier than it was the last time I had a home phone, but I still don't see the need to have one.

Of course, we all have different needs and uses for it. I'm fine with just my trusty iPhone! And if I've ever received any type of telemarketing or political thing on my phone, I can't remember it.

13. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

That's why I only hand out food. No, I don't walk around w/a giant food basket with me all the time but I typically carry around an extra energy bar or bag of jerky in my bag just in case.

Lethal

14. CaoCao macrumors 6502a

I always keep Clif Bars in the car for the panhandlers (and me if I get hungry) after all if they want food then a filling high energy protein bar should work

15. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

How dare you dictate what they should eat????

You think you are in California?? :p

16. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

They are free to give it back... or barter/sell it for drugs/alcohol. I wonder how many cliff bars gets you a beer on the streets?:cool:

Lethal