Panorama commercial

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thekb, Oct 21, 2012.

1. thekb macrumors 6502a

OK, so I was watching TV today and the iphone commercial comes on that demonstrates the panorama feature by taking a picture of a bunch of kids in costumes.

I think they either had to photoshop the final picture to remove a lot of perspective distortion, or else to accomplish a picture like that you would have to have the kids line up around you in a semi-circle, so that they are equidistant from the camera. Or could you move in a straight line in front of the kids and have it come out right?

2. Dmack4142 macrumors newbie

3. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

I think this is probably the most likely answer.

4. jk4lebron23 macrumors 65816

jk4lebron23

Some pictures if they aren't that wide do not have that rounded effect

----------

Just tried going in a straight line walking and it worked so you could just go down a line

5. thekb thread starter macrumors 6502a

Very interesting! I hadn't tried that yet. Usually when you shoot panoramas with a camera, you need to rotate the camera on a single axis to get best results, not move the camera at all except rotating it. Maybe the software has evolved to take movement of the camera into account and this allows this to work right.

I'll give it a try.

6. lelisa13p macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

The first time I used it I was surprised by the camera telling me to Slow Down. :)

7. mactmaster macrumors 6502

I was thinking about this also last time I saw the commercial. I figured the kids were lined up in a semi-circle but who knows.

8. Gathomblipoob macrumors 68040

Gathomblipoob

I found this commercial on YouTube. The maturity of the comments by the Android fans is hilarious.

9. KittyToy macrumors 6502

KittyToy

All they did was stand them in a straight line no circle needed for panorama long as u know how to move ya arm lol

10. thekb thread starter macrumors 6502a

Not true. The kids in the center would appear taller because of the perspective of the camera (they are closer). Either the software automatically adjusts for it, they manually corrected in photoshop, or the kids were all the same distance from the camera, which wouldn't be possible unless they were in a semicircle.

11. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

I tried out the panorama feature and was amazing by the degree to which the software was able to accurately correct the distortion.

12. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

I was playing with this feature Yesterday and today and I believe that the distortion is partially based on how wide the panorama you are doing.

When I really made a wide panorama I could see the distortion, but if I kept it shorter, the distortion did not appear. I think it also depends on the software being able to correct the distortion on the shorter panoramas easier than it can on the longer ones. I think it is a great last set to the camera.

13. lelisa13p macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

I just watched the commercial again on DVR. If you look at the actual placement of the children's feet in the background (in real life) as the focus of the commercial is showing you the screen of the iPhone while the photo is being taken, you can see that they are arranged in a slight semicircle. The process shown on the iPhone flattens/straightens their positions out.

I watched it twice: once while focusing on the iPhone process and again focusing on the rest of the filmed commercial. Just FYI. :)

14. thekb thread starter macrumors 6502a

Aha! Mystery solved then! Thanks

15. lelisa13p macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

You're welcome. I must admit, I do love seeing those adorable kids. :)

16. skitzogreg macrumors 6502

skitzogreg

No matter what you see, taking a panorama photo is like watching a heart monitor. I can't stabilize that thing for the life of me.