Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hvfsl

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 9, 2001
London, UK
Does anyone who has Panther know if the DVD player uses de-interlacing? The previous versions of the DVD player dont and my powerbook G4 is not fast enough to use VLC's software de-interlacing because it keeps on skipping frames.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
One of my DVDs has horrible interlacing lines all through the menus in Jaguar. In Panther, the lines are still there, but they're not as noticeable.

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
I've only tried a handful of DVDs when testing out the new DVD player but it seems much improved in terms of quality and speed of interface interaction.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
One of the problems with Apple developing a DVD player is that all DVDs sold in the US are in NTSC (Never Twice the Same Colour*) format, which will be what Apple tests against, whereas everywhere else uses PAL (Phase Alteration Line). PAL discs tend to be interlaced, whereas NTSC usually aren't.

*No, it doesn't really stand for that.

hvfsl

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 9, 2001
London, UK
Originally posted by Nermal
One of the problems with Apple developing a DVD player is that all DVDs sold in the US are in NTSC (Never Twice the Same Colour*) format, which will be what Apple tests against, whereas everywhere else uses PAL (Phase Alteration Line). PAL discs tend to be interlaced, whereas NTSC usually aren't.

*No, it doesn't really stand for that.

Thats what we used to call NTSC at Uni in the Mac lab. So I will be getting NTSC DVDs from now on then.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.